Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading Mossberg 930 JM Pro with Arredondo speed loaders

NicVerAZ

I received the ramp and three 6-shell tubes from Arredondo.

I managed to load 4-shells at a time but never 5 or 6. It seems that this is something I will hate to practice anyway.

Questions:

1. What can I do to improve loading shells from a speed loader?

I have done quite a bit of smoothing of the port myself, it's not pretty but it should be fine. The gate is still unmodded and quite the finger trap. I was looking for a drop-in but it seems that whoever made one sold out. I suppose this is the next mod. A new, stronger and longer follower could also probably help, is the one from OR3Gun for instance a good one to get?

2. Are the guide rods a good thing to have? Do they help a lot?

Thanks!

Feel inside the loading port between the magazine tube and roll mark in front of the loading port. That bump needs to go away for smooth loading with speed loaders. It is also a decent plan to open the front of the port enough to allow the occasional slug or specialty load by hand from caddies. You don't need to go crazy, just get the area of the receiver where the shells are binding a bit on the way in and you should be fine.

The 6-round loaders are a bit tougher to learn with than the 4-round. They remind me of Kramer steering the fire truck from the back. Practice getting the hooks engaged with the correct angle a lot before practicing the push. It should be able to happen in one smooth motion. If it feels like each round is dragging, your port needs work in the area mentioned above.

William

Is loading with speed loaders really that much faster than the guys who practice quad loading now days?

I do have the follower from OR3Gun and it works great.  Get an extended lifter as soon as possible to save your thumbnail.

It is faster if you suck at quad loading.

:D

I'm cross dominant, so I use my strong hand on the speedloaders. Much like quad loading, if you nail it you are a YouTube hero, but it doesn't happen every time. The great thing about speedloaders is that you really only have to nail the alignment of the speedloader to the bracket. The rest is just a smooth push and a properly opened loading port. The linked video was after only 2 hours initial practice over a couple weeks. This is with the 6-round loader.

http://or3gun.com/Media/Speedloader.MOV

I find that I gain time on every load by not having to remove the gun from the shouldered shooting position, park it sideways on a shoulder, roll it over, etc. Quad loading has never panned out for me in time savings from traditional weak hand for anything less than 12 rounds. That doesn't mean quad loading isn't faster, it just isn't for me.

We've had rain for all but 4 days so far this year, so my move to Open for this season is being delayed for not having any time behind the new pistol and rifle. I had the shotgun zeroed for slugs after a match and was practicing table starts from an empty gun. After the first couple tries I was able to load 6 rounds and knock over 6 steel at 10 yards in just under 6 seconds. I can't do that quad loading.

William

Edited by logiztix

• 8 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, logiztix said:

It is faster if you suck at quad loading.

:D

I'm cross dominant, so I use my strong hand on the speedloaders. Much like quad loading, if you nail it you are a YouTube hero, but it doesn't happen every time. The great thing about speedloaders is that you really only have to nail the alignment of the speedloader to the bracket. The rest is just a smooth push and a properly opened loading port. The linked video was after only 2 hours initial practice over a couple weeks. This is with the 6-round loader.

http://or3gun.com/Media/Speedloader.MOV

I find that I gain time on every load by not having to remove the gun from the shouldered shooting position, park it sideways on a shoulder, roll it over, etc. Quad loading has never panned out for me in time savings from traditional weak hand for anything less than 12 rounds. That doesn't mean quad loading isn't faster, it just isn't for me.

We've had rain for all but 4 days so far this year, so my move to Open for this season is being delayed for not having any time behind the new pistol and rifle. I had the shotgun zeroed for slugs after a match and was practicing table starts from an empty gun. After the first couple tries I was able to load 6 rounds and knock over 6 steel at 10 yards in just under 6 seconds. I can't do that quad loading.

William

Could you post a couple of pics of your loading port?