Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody shooting 115's

rooster

Been reading about 115's being more accurate because of the higher velocity.  Is anyone using them?  If so how is recoil being that you have to push them at 1150 fps to make minor.  Any trouble knocking down steel?  Widner's has the hornady 115 hap bullets on sale for 300 bucks for 3000.  Thinking about trying them but don't want to drop that much cash if they don't work.  I'll be using a g34 with a kkm, and a Barsto barrel. Currently running MG's cmj and their hp.

I can't imagine 115's being more accurate than the MG JHP 124's I've been using the past few years  :)

The HAP's are supposed to be very accurate ...

But, you might want to try PD's for less than $90/1,000.   (I'm going to ... )

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

12 hours ago, Steve RA said:

225s would be a lot longer, probably need a really fast twist barrel !

Thanks, Steve    :)

It all looks good to me - wonder what the hell you're talking about ....    :D

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I can't imagine 115's being more accurate than the MG JHP 124's I've been using the past few years  :)

The HAP's are supposed to be very accurate ...

But, you might want to try PD's for less than $90/1,000.   (I'm going to ... )

Pd are excellent.  Now cheaper than extreme and way way better.

18 hours ago, rooster said:

Been reading about 115's being more accurate because of the higher velocity.  Is anyone using them?  If so how is recoil being that you have to push them at 1150 fps to make minor.  Any trouble knocking down steel?  Widner's has the hornady 115 hap bullets on sale for 300 bucks for 3000.  Thinking about trying them but don't want to drop that much cash if they don't work.  I'll be using a g34 with a kkm, and a Barsto barrel. Currently running MG's cmj and their hp.

PD 115s are great and cost less than MG.  Used MG for years.  Accuracy has many factors...barrel twist, load.  115s do not recoil any more than 124s, 115s have a snap instead of a push.  Many folks like 115s because the sights return faster.

I have shot quite a few MG 115 JHP's in 38s, and they are great. I have also shot quite a few PD 147's in Production...and they too, are great...at this point, I see no difference between the two, other than the cost savings with PD. My next order of 115's will be from PD instead of MG.

I shoot xtreme 115's at 1175 fps (mostly in idpa).  I shot some 147 with titegroup through the same gun, and I couldn't tell any difference in recoil.  But it was a dan Wesson PM9, which is heavier than the glock I think.  No issues with knocking down steel, and recoil is very manageable.

Edited by DukeEB

2 hours ago, DukeEB said:

I shoot xtreme 115's at 1175 fps (mostly in idpa).  I shot some 147 with titegroup through the same gun, and I couldn't tell any difference in recoil.  But it was a dan Wesson PM9, which is heavier than the glock I think.  No issues with knocking down steel, and recoil is very manageable.

What velocity were the 147? Generally the heavier bullets are softer recoil at the same power factor. If you didn't notice a difference then I'm guessing the 147 load was a higher power factor than the 115

I shoot 115 HAPs in my Action Pistol (Bianchi) gun and they are very accurate out to 50 yards. I've got them pumped up pretty fast at 1250 fps. and they have no trouble at all knocking down plates. If you're interested in trying the HAPs, check the Midsouth Shooters Supply site. They have a 30 round sample pack for $5 all the way up to a 3k box for $279. Right now they have a special $9 flat rate shipping through the end of the month. (I think.)

On 4/21/2017 at 5:04 PM, DukeEB said:

Do you feel like there is any difference with the lighter bullets? Maybe more muzzle flip?

I currently shoot bayou fp147s, but I have an opportunity to get plated RN 115s for 5 cents/bullet. Not sure if it's worth the savings. 

9 hours ago, DukeEB said:

I couldn't tell any difference between the light and heavy bullets. Maybe it's just me though

Not sure how long you have been shooting competition. But generally a few things play into the feel aspect of light vs heavy bullets.

1. The longer you shoot one weight the more difference you will feel when you suddenly try another.

2. The longer you shoot competition the more sensitive you are to feel.

3. Typically just bouncing back and forth between weights leads to them feeling similar.

4. Shooting them on the clock is where you notice it most. Sights will lift and settle much differently and splits will vary. But like I said, you have to compete for awhile to truly see/feel it.

I've been shooting USPSA for about 2 years now. I started out shooting 9mm for Limited Minor. I started out bouncing between 115's and 124's and couldn't really feel the difference. It seemed like one day the 115's felt and shoot better then the next day the 124's felt and shot better. I finally settled on 115's and shot those exclusively for a couple months before a more experienced shooter let me try his 147's. I was surprised how much difference I could feel between 115's and 147 loads both loaded to a similar PF of 130ish. Don't remember exact, but they were close. I liked the way the 147's felt and shot I started looking at heavier bullets and I settled on 145 ACME and was very happy with those. What Sarge posted is spot on with my experience.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Not sure how long you have been shooting competition. But generally a few things play into the feel aspect of light vs heavy bullets.

1. The longer you shoot one weight the more difference you will feel when you suddenly try another.

2. The longer you shoot competition the more sensitive you are to feel.

3. Typically just bouncing back and forth between weights leads to them feeling similar.

4. Shooting them on the clock is where you notice it most. Sights will lift and settle much differently and splits will vary. But like I said, you have to compete for awhile to truly see/feel it.

This is my 3rd year of uspsa and idpa. I also shot steel for a year before uspsa/idpa.  however, I switch guns a lot.

uspsa, I generally stick to limited and 40 major.  In idpa, i'll switch between cdp and esp, esp is 9mm for me.  I think #3 in your list is my situation, but between calibers not weights.  I probably don't shoot 9mm enough to be as sensitive as most, especially since uspsa is my focus. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 11:00 AM, Dr Mitch said:

147s seem sluggish once your eye muscles can track the gun in recoil.  Go with 124s.

Same here. The 147's the sights move to slow. I like 115 & 124.  But  Max, BJ, Dave, Vogel & KC all use 147's 

I think it just takes time to adjust to the 147's..