Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm brass inside cleaning

quietgunner77

Hey, guys!

I'm fairly new to reloading ammo and I have a question for all the experienced reloaders. 

Mainly I'll be reloading 9mm. How clean does the INSIDE of the brass have to be? 

Does it have to be shiny, like the outside? Thanks for the help.

Nope. Generally tumbling it in walnut or corncob is sufficient. You just want to be sure there's no mud or debris in the case. Some folks claim to only inspect and not to clean their brass at all, but I can't bring myself to that. I'm a little OCD and stainless steel tumble my brass and then give the finished rounds a brief tumble in corncob.

4 hours ago, quietgunner77 said:

Sweet !! Thanks, guys. 

What about throwing some " car wax " inside the tumbler with the corn cob! I heard that makes the brass really clean and shiny.

Would that be ok? Again; Thank you for the help.

Nu finish car wax a couple cap fulls is what I use works great.

15 hours ago, quietgunner77 said:

Sweet !! Thanks, guys. 

What about throwing some " car wax " inside the tumbler with the corn cob! I heard that makes the brass really clean and shiny.

Would that be ok? Again; Thank you for the help.

I use Nu-Finish. I tried the Flitz product but found it turns black just as regular Flitz does as it polishes.  I have found you cannot over do Nu Finish and you want your media saturated with the stuff for the best results. I run at least 3 stripes around the top of a new bowl of media and let it run for an hour to dissipate clumps and let the polish get into the media. When you run your brass it comes out looking like new and the cases resize very easily without the need for case lube. Nu-Finish works really well and a single bottle of it lasts a long time in the media. It does not dry up or go away so a single 3 stripe treatment will go many cleanings without having to re-treat the media and it also eliminates any dust so you don't need to add anything else.

2 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

I use Nu-Finish. I tried the Flitz product but found it turns black just as regular Flitz does as it polishes.  I have found you cannot over do Nu Finish and you want your media saturated with the stuff for the best results. I run at least 3 stripes around the top of a new bowl of media and let it run for an hour to dissipate clumps and let the polish get into the media. When you run your brass it comes out looking like new and the cases resize very easily without the need for case lube. Nu-Finish works really well and a single bottle of it lasts a long time in the media. It does not dry up or go away so a single 3 stripe treatment will go many cleanings without having to re-treat the media and it also eliminates any dust so you don't need to add anything else.

+1000X on this..I have used flitz, lucas and nu finish and the Nu finish has a better finish and will not coat your media and make it black.

• 1 month later...

I have a friend that puts a used dryer sheet in his tumbler with each load... when he pulls it out the dryer sheet is black as hell from all the crap it collects... e says it helps keep the media clean as well. Ever heard of this?

11 minutes ago, Broski said:

I have a friend that puts a used dryer sheet in his tumbler with each load... when he pulls it out the dryer sheet is black as hell from all the crap it collects... e says it helps keep the media clean as well. Ever heard of this?

I do the same as it seems to reduce the ammount of dust.

My decades old method is tumble in walnut with a couple of teaspoons of mineral oil, and then in corn with a couple of teaspoons of NuFinish. Comes out shiny and slippery to load, no case lube required. Runs dustless, and turns crap brass into cool brass..

image37648.jpg