Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax feeding issues

BigBamBoo

Hi Folks.

I have a Versamax that has failure to feed issues. I have tried different brands of ammo thinking the crimp on some shells might be causing it. Does it with pretty much all ammo I have tried.

It looks like it is catching the edge of the chamber. I am wondering if knocking the edge off the "face" of the chamber would help? It seems pretty sharp.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Common issue, many posts in this subforum on it.  Short answer is yes, sand down the sharp chamber entrance ("extractor cut"), but don't go too far because it leaves brass unsupported, which causes rim bulge and extractor pop-off.

Got it. I will work on it this weekend and see what happens. I forgot to menetion the only mod I have done to it is have the life Ted welded up.

So I am guesssimg it is not supporting the shell now and causing it to "wiggle" around as it moves toward the chamber and catching in the sharp edge of the chamber area.

Just an update. I broke the extractor cut edge with some 400 grit sandpaper by hand then polished it with some metal polish and a Dremel.

Took it out and ran 50 rounds of cheap ammo through it without a single hang up. So far so good.

Not sure the action spring will help. My shotgun has very low round count....currently about 150 rounds. After taking the edge off the extractor cut, I ran 50 rounds of cheapy Rio ammo through it without a single hiccup.