Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCCs that didn't work. How'd you fix it?

As a counterpoint to the "PCCs that work" thread, I thought it might be worthwhile to outline what issues you had with mags, optic, comp, buffer and spring, various comps you've tried...

Try and concentrate cliff-note versions of "I started with a basic rifle, here's how I made it shoot soft and flat" information all in one place.

(And of course, the "It didn't run, here's how I fixed my reliability issue" issues you've had as well!) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Covered pretty much in another thread, but to be thorough, here it is too.

After 2000 trouble free rounds, my gun doubled twice in one match.  First time it happened and I was concerned that either the trigger or hammer pin holes on the lower receiver had egged out or something on the trigger had worn out.

Based on comments by Hiperfire, the manufacturer of the trigger, it could possibly be too heavy a buffer and/or too heavy a recoil spring.  

Several on the forum also mentioned heavy springs and buffers combined with a light trigger may be a problem.  Also they pointed out a loose grip could cause similar problems.

The problem seems to be solved by going to a lighter spring (.223 versus .308) or a lighter buffer.  Combinations of neavy buffer with a light spring, light buffer with heavy spring and light buffer with light spring were tried.  All seemed to solve the doubling problem.  But going lighter also increased dot movement. 

I settled on the heavy (5.2 ounce) buffer with the light (.223) spring as the best solution. PF on my 147 gr loads is 132.

Bill

Hello: The most common problems that I have seen here are too heavy of a recoil system with reloads, trigger pins walking out, bad extractors and barrels not made to spec either short throated or chamber cut too deep. I would suggest you buy the best parts you can afford so you don't have to buy twice or three times. "Nothing is worse than a gun that does not go bang." Thanks, Eric

Fixed my problems by changing out the barrel. Like Eric said the barrel had a very short tight chamber/throat. Was really picky about what it liked. Went to a JP barrel and solved all my PCC problems. Did have a gas key come loose, red loctite & re-stake.

gerritm

as Eric and gerritm commented, my only problem has been a short leade area in the throat of a PSA 16" complete upper... the nitrided treatment is pretty tough, and I had to put the barrel in a lathe to get enough force for the reamer to bite...I have a 10.5" upper also from PSA and it did not have the problem....

as Eric and gerritm commented, my only problem has been a short leade area in the throat of a PSA 16" complete upper... the nitrided treatment is pretty tough, and I had to put the barrel in a lathe to get enough force for the reamer to bite...I have a 10.5" upper also from PSA and it did not have the problem....

How much did you end up extending the throat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Livn68... I didn't really measure the amount... I had a couple of dummy 1.130" oal Bayous made up... slipped them into the bolt and inserted the dummy into the chamber... tapped the bolt with a plastic mallet until the bolt seated.... second touch with the reamer allowed it to be extracted without effort and no rifling marks... I had to move the tail stock location to run a cleaning swab into the chamber, so lost track of the amount... WECSOG

Edited by Les Snyder

New JP GMR-13 9mm...had 1 gun issue, 3 magazine/ammo related issues.

Problem:: Hammer would not reset to sear once released from disconnector.

Fix: Returned to JP for new trigger and trigger work. They said sand and dirt was under trigger set screw. (?)

I Picked up a Glock 31 round mag and added the Taylor Freelance +10 basepad. If I loaded up magazine to anything over 28 rounds, the following would happen...

Rounds would Fail To Feed, bullet jamming into barrel with no ramp. Bullet was not tilting up enough to enter chamber correctly. Rounds were dragging in magazine below 28 rounds. Experienced this issue when loading OAL to 1.150".

Fix: Reload max OAL to 1.110-1.115".

I ran a USPSA match this past week and loaded the mag up to 41 rounds and not one failure to feed or mag issue.

Edited to add: Also switched from JHP bullets to RN.

Edited by Mark R