Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK Thunder in 9mm......

MikieM

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

Beer in mind BB, (I couldn't resist) my particular CK is almost $500 more, and that's with no magazines.

I've had new cars that required a return to the dealership for a tweak, or two, that's for sure, but somehow this seems different. When the builder tells you he has put at least 10 rounds through the gun before the finish was applied, and then 10 more afterwards, and because of that tells you it can't possibly be doing what it's doing, then a fellow kind of feels all out there by his lonesome.

Do you have a steel grip on the pistol? If so, that makes up the $500 difference from a dvc.

Edited by Mike21STI

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think BeerBaron is onto something there. The commonly accepted practice with 2011s seems to be that they are going to be tuned for a specific handload/reload by the end user, thus any "tuning" from the factory or builder is more to test that the gun will cycle and function, but they aren't really set up to run right out of the box. 

Factor in they may use mags tuned differently etc. Etc. There are so many variables it's impossible to guarantee no tuning necessary.

Whether they should or not is a different matter, and I agree there that in an ideal world it would just run lights out when you drop that kind of money. 

There are certain companies that really seem to push for that ability to run straight away, but they cost either more money, wait time or both than the production or semi custom guns. 

Hopefully you'll get it running to your liking or sell it off and are able to get something you like better.

6 minutes ago, KrymSIX said:

I think BeerBaron is onto something there. The commonly accepted practice with 2011s seems to be that they are going to be tuned for a specific handload/reload by the end user, thus any "tuning" from the factory or builder is more to test that the gun will cycle and function, but they aren't really set up to run right out of the box. 

Factor in they may use mags tuned differently etc. Etc. There are so many variables it's impossible to guarantee no tuning necessary.

Whether they should or not is a different matter, and I agree there that in an ideal world it would just run lights out when you drop that kind of money. 

There are certain companies that really seem to push for that ability to run straight away, but they cost either more money, wait time or both than the production or semi custom guns. 

Hopefully you'll get it running to your liking or sell it off and are able to get something you like better.

Yep, I have no doubt that everything will work out in my favor.

Do you suppose it would make any difference if gun builders tuned their products to a specific load? In my case, being a Limited gun in 9mm, I can't legally shoot Major PF. That should narrow the load selections down considerably.

Thinking on it, however, the gun maker may see some inherent liability if they provided load data.

Never-the-less, none of these problems are insurmountable. In days past I was a gun builder myself so I can take care of it myself.

MikieM, i suppose builders could tell you at least what magazines and what OAL they function tested the gun with. But that is extra effort and while doing it for one gun might not add a ton of time or effort, but doing it for every gun they're working on could be tough (if they are going to troubleshoot it down to this is an optimal OAL for every gun since each gun is going to have its own preferences). 

Also you're right it could open them up to legal complications if they provided load data and someone made a mistake or something. 

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

Yep, I have no doubt that everything will work out in my favor.

Do you suppose it would make any difference if gun builders tuned their products to a specific load? In my case, being a Limited gun in 9mm, I can't legally shoot Major PF. That should narrow the load selections down considerably.

Thinking on it, however, the gun maker may see some inherent liability if they provided load data.

Never-the-less, none of these problems are insurmountable. In days past I was a gun builder myself so I can take care of it myself.

I believe Infinity recommends load data for the guns they build so I doubt it's risky. I give load data to people all the time and can't help it if somebody gets it wrong.

On 22/04/2017 at 11:09 PM, MikieM said:

Beer in mind BB, (I couldn't resist) my particular CK is almost $500 more, and that's with no magazines.

I've had new cars that required a return to the dealership for a tweak, or two, that's for sure, but somehow this seems different. When the builder tells you he has put at least 10 rounds through the gun before the finish was applied, and then 10 more afterwards, and because of that tells you it can't possibly be doing what it's doing, then a fellow kind of feels all out there by his lonesome.

The steel grip does make it a apples/oranges comparison though. CK do offer a stippled plastic grip (same as DVC) and that model costs within about $50 of a DVC (price of both guns at same supplier).

I agree the test firing thing as a a reason for your malfunctions isn't exactly kosher. I tend to wonder actually sometimes whether all guns are test fired or not.

To the point in your later post about providing load data. Even though you clearly won't be loading 9 major there are still a massive range of loads for 9mm.

consider factory loads which come with everything from 115gn to 147gn with shapes from RN FMJ, HP and a range of OAL.

Then we have handholds where some go as light as 90gn for steel challenge and in USPSA some shoot 160gn or even bigger in 9mm minor. coated lead, jacketed, plated, different brass. powder from super fast to medium burn rates. loads from 100PF right up to 140pf or possibly more in a 'self defence' load. OAL's from as short as 1.080 right out to 1.165 or more.

I'm not sure if SVI actually provide a load but I do know they recommend people use 3N38 in their IMM open guns.

I think the variety of loads is probably a lot to do with why some people get a gun from a builder that runs from shot #1 and others need some tuning/adjustment.

Sometimes there truly IS some problem with a component on the gun (ejector, extractor are pretty common issues that need attention).

I completely agree the gun SHOULD run (but it's hard to guarantee it will with all loads) and that if it doesn't run with your particular load the builder needs to make it run. That is most definitely within scope. 

23 minutes ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

Why is this?

USPSA Handgun Competition Rules, Appendix D2-Limited Division, number 5. Minimum bullet caliber for Major is 40 caliber/10mm.

Edited by MikieM

1 hour ago, BeerBaron said:

The steel grip does make it a apples/oranges comparison though. CK do offer a stippled plastic grip (same as DVC) and that model costs within about $50 of a DVC (price of both guns at same supplier).

I agree the test firing thing as a a reason for your malfunctions isn't exactly kosher. I tend to wonder actually sometimes whether all guns are test fired or not.

To the point in your later post about providing load data. Even though you clearly won't be loading 9 major there are still a massive range of loads for 9mm.

consider factory loads which come with everything from 115gn to 147gn with shapes from RN FMJ, HP and a range of OAL.

Then we have handholds where some go as light as 90gn for steel challenge and in USPSA some shoot 160gn or even bigger in 9mm minor. coated lead, jacketed, plated, different brass. powder from super fast to medium burn rates. loads from 100PF right up to 140pf or possibly more in a 'self defence' load. OAL's from as short as 1.080 right out to 1.165 or more.

I'm not sure if SVI actually provide a load but I do know they recommend people use 3N38 in their IMM open guns.

I think the variety of loads is probably a lot to do with why some people get a gun from a builder that runs from shot #1 and others need some tuning/adjustment.

Sometimes there truly IS some problem with a component on the gun (ejector, extractor are pretty common issues that need attention).

I completely agree the gun SHOULD run (but it's hard to guarantee it will with all loads) and that if it doesn't run with your particular load the builder needs to make it run. That is most definitely within scope. 

I'm not worried, BB. If this thing sticks in my craw for too long I'll sell it and move on. I was very close to buying an Atlas gun, but I needed something to shoot right away. Who knows, I may still get one.

10 minutes ago, MikieM said:

USPSA Handgun Competition Rules, Appendix D2-Limited Division, number 5. Minimum bullet caliber for Major is 40 caliber/10mm.

Oh puskka!

i forgot this discussion was limited guns. 

Hey, for what it's worth I have a ck gun and it's been legit for me but I get it when you are frustrated after laying out big money only to have some grievances. Just remember, go to the source first, if he tells you to eat a dick, then by all means blast em here. Guys will give you more respect if they see that you went to the source first. 

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

9 minutes ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

Oh puskka!

i forgot this discussion was limited guns. 

Hey, for what it's worth I have a ck gun and it's been legit for me but I get it when you are frustrated after laying out big money only to have some grievances. Just remember, go to the source first, if he tells you you eat a dick, then by all means blast em here. Guys will give you more respect if they see that you went to the source first. 

I did. I got passed around between the C and the K for one whole day, last week.

But, It's over now. I said what I felt like I needed to say and wasn't sent to a work camp outside of Pyongyang, so everything's cool.

Edited by MikieM