Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK Thunder in 9mm......

MikieM

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Polish it out to look better instead of bashing the builder on a forum?

Guide rod is a personal preference. If you bought a stock gun without one and you want one, put one in it.

I did not miss the point of your OP. It was to bash a gun builder. Pretty obvious.

You should have sent emails to or called CK and worked it out.

I emailed these two this morning. Nothing was resolved.

This is a forum, yet in your opinion we are not permitted to complain or otherwise say anything derogatory about the gunsmith's of our sport? I always thought forum's were one of the best places available to air grievances. 

Again. My point is not to bash gun builders. Only to point out the problems of an over priced gun.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I don't have or want tooless guide rods in my guns. 

Send me your address and I'll send you some paper clips.

You can polish out tool marks. I have done it.

if you don't like the gun, sell it. If you expected an SV for half the price that's your fault.

I tend to agree with Sarge on this one.....

21 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I emailed these two this morning. Nothing was resolved.

This is a forum, yet in your opinion we are not permitted to complain or otherwise say anything derogatory about the gunsmith's of our sport? I always thought forum's were one of the best places available to air grievances. 

Again. My point is not to bash gun builders. Only to point out the problems of an over priced gun.

I didn't read every single post in this thread, but you never got over the top ugly and other members seemed to keep you on point.  

16 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I didn't read every single post in this thread, but you never got over the top ugly and other members seemed to keep you on point.  

Of course I never got over the top ugly, as you say. That was never my intent. Like I mentioned in one of my responses, my hope is that what ever I might say on this subject will give others a moment of pause before they jump feet first into a high priced gun, like I did.

I actually had concluded my comments on the matter, but Sarge felt like he needed to throw a little kerosene on the fire.

50 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Of course I never got over the top ugly, as you say. That was never my intent. Like I mentioned in one of my responses, my hope is that what ever I might say on this subject will give others a moment of pause before they jump feet first into a high priced gun, like I did.

I actually had concluded my comments on the matter, but Sarge felt like he needed to throw a little kerosene on the fire.

I'll throw more. The forum guidelines forbid bashing anything shooting related. It's not my opinion. It's the law here.

Hate Rants
Rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

Edited by Sarge

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but you've lost me now with the guide rod stuff. 

1: finish

that is what pvd looks like. People who choose black do it for the 'stealth' look. It's high performance but not exactly bling. If you wanted a nice looking finish you should have gone the stainless look pvd. It looks amazing. Like hard chrome but with a small color shift. You can hardly blame them for that. 

2. Ejection

do you know different oal, different mag springs, different pf anmo will all affect ejection? Either send it back for them to tune or spend 10min on the ejector tip yourself. 

3. Accuracy. 

Have you ever shot a group better than 3 1/2 inch with any gun? That was the same size group your sti shot. Gun accuracy in that test is heavily dependent on the load and the shooter. I have had a gun that shot no kidding a 10inch group at 15 yards off hand with one load (I thought the gun was broken) then 2 min later 2 inch group with a different load. If you want to figure out how accurate it is ideally you need a fixture (i.e. Ransom rest) and a bunch of loads to try. 

4. Guiderod. 

Seriously? You do know plenty of people prefer a standard guiderod. The toilets ones can fail (I've seen one go) and they do have pins walk out from time to time. I'm sure ck chose std as a cost saving neasure and because it does the job. My mega $$ svi also came with std guiderod and being an imm gun with full dustcover it's much harder to get in there. 

5. 'Overpriced'

it sounds to me like this is the crux of the issue. You have buyers remorse.

YOU chose a finish you don't like and as a result your enjoyment of the gun is diminished so you start picking holes in it. All of your issues bar the colour could be easily addressed. But you prefer to complain loudly. I get it. 

So, If I buy something that is shooting related that I'm not satisfied with, be it a gun, a magazine, some ammo, or whatever, I am not supposed to bring that dissatisfaction before the membership of this forum? I am to keep it to myself?

Beats all, don't it.

9 minutes ago, MikieM said:

So, If I buy something that is shooting related that I'm not satisfied with, be it a gun, a magazine, some ammo, or whatever, I am not supposed to bring that dissatisfaction before the membership of this forum? I am to keep it to myself?

Beats all, don't it.

Actually I agree. One of the real drawbacks to these forums is you can't openly tell the truth. I PM guys all the time when they come on here and ask about buying an xxxxxx.

I am really surprised your thread has lasted this long! :)

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Actually I agree. One of the real drawbacks to these forums is you can't openly tell the truth. I PM guys all the time when they come on here and ask about buying an xxxxxx.

To tell the truth Sarge, now that I look back on it, it wasn't much of a thread to begin with. Airing one's dirty laundry is probably the best way I know of for getting complaints from the neighbors. 

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I think you can read other threads/posts and see that this thread is not a heated bashing of CK and most of the other participants have tried to give him more to think about rather than change his mind.  One of the other Mods may certainly come through and close this......But it's not in the Hate Rant forum and it's a decent discussion, at least in my opinion.  Maybe because I'm considering buying one:lol:

1 minute ago, RangerTrace said:

I think you can read other threads/posts and see that this thread is not a heated bashing of CK and most of the other participants have tried to give him more to think about rather than change his mind.  One of the other Mods may certainly come through and close this......But it's not in the Hate Rant forum and it's a decent discussion, at least in my opinion.  Maybe because I'm considering buying one:lol:

You should definitely buy one. 

Well yeah one of the forum rules is basically no negative stories/complaints etc. I presume it's to protect the owner from litigious types...

i stil think mainly your expectations were not in line with what the product offers or you just have plain buyers remorse. 

Ive had some small issues with both of my ck's too. 

Do I wish they weren't there? Yes.

Do I think ck should have taken a little more care on certain aspects of qc? Hell yeah I do. 

But I accept the product for what it is. 

And it doesn't have any meaningful affect on my enjoyment of the product. 

I am by no means a fan boy and I can recognise the limitations of the product.

But I don't judge it in a vacuum. I compare it to its peers/competitors and in that light i think it stands up pretty well. 

Ck will likely address your guiderod tool marks and the ejection issue. You can do that without shipping the whole gun. They can ship you a tuned ejector and polished guiderod which would be an easy option on their part. The finish issue to my mind is just a mismatched expectation on your part so there's no real fix for that. Hopefully from there you can enjoy the gun, or just sell it. You shouldn't be forced to keep a toy you don't like. :)

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

You should definitely buy one. 

I dunno. RT is an sv man of old. Ck are great but they're not sv... fortunately they're not sv money either. 

I still think they fill a niche in the market pretty well. 

Those who want custom gun quality parts and features but don't mind it not being a one off and perhaps lacking some of the small attention to detail. 

Anyone can see ck hit a winning formula as they have sold tons of them. 

To be honest trace I'd take a good look at an atlas titan or chaos (assuming you want a 2011 for either ltd or open). 

I've not even shot an atlas but it seems there 'semi-custom' line is a step up again from the ck semi customs. The price is a step up too but it looks like you get a nice boost in attention to detail etc for that extra $$. 

I think atlas will pull quite a few guys who were looking at a ck or blinged up sti. 

The downside is longer wait time and more $ so there's always a trade off. 

The point of this thread, as I read it, is that buying a gun for this much money shouldn't have ANY issues. On that fact, I completely agree. 

4 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Well yeah one of the forum rules is basically no negative stories/complaints etc. I presume it's to protect the owner from litigious types...

i stil think mainly your expectations were not in line with what the product offers or you just have plain buyers remorse. 

Ive had some small issues with both of my ck's too. And that is just "acceptable" on a 3k+ gun? 

Do I wish they weren't there? Yes.

Do I think ck should have taken a little more care on certain aspects of qc? Hell yeah I do. This is the point of the thread, right here.

But I accept the product for what it is. A kit that needs work? 

Ck will likely address your guiderod tool marks and the ejection issue. You can do that without shipping the whole gun. They can ship you a tuned ejector and polished guiderod which would be an easy option on their part. The finish issue to my mind is just a mismatched expectation on your part so there's no real fix for that. Hopefully from there you can enjoy the gun, or just sell it. You shouldn't be forced to keep a toy you don't like. :)

It is going to need to be fit to the slide, or it will drag. Pretty sure that will require having the slide, no? 

The finish just is what it is. That is how it looks, and not realizing that before you bought it and then complaining isn't going to get you anywhere with this crowd. 

I wish we could speak openly about gun builders on these forums as well, but unfortunately that is not allowed. That said, I hope and trust that CK will take care of you and make it right. It sucks to not enjoy a new expensive toy. 

11 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

The point of this thread, as I read it, is that buying a gun for this much money shouldn't have ANY issues. On that fact, I completely agree. 

It is going to need to be fit to the slide, or it will drag. Pretty sure that will require having the slide, no? 

The finish just is what it is. That is how it looks, and not realizing that before you bought it and then complaining isn't going to get you anywhere with this crowd. 

I wish we could speak openly about gun builders on these forums as well, but unfortunately that is not allowed. That said, I hope and trust that CK will take care of you and make it right. It sucks to not enjoy a new expensive toy. 

It is what it is, I guess.

I will say, however, after Sarge quoted chapter and verse to me I had to look around and make sure I hadn't suddenly been whisked off to North Korea, or someplace thereabouts.

39 minutes ago, MikieM said:

It is what it is, I guess.

I will say, however, after Sarge quoted chapter and verse to me I had to look around and make sure I hadn't suddenly been whisked off to North Korea, or someplace thereabouts.

Sounds like you bought something without test driving.  In our sport, just about every gun maker gun's can be found at local or state matches.  Everybody I know would be happy to a let an interested shooter look at their guns and even shoot em once or twice.  Seek the help of someone who shoot's limited and get their help to rule out any operator error and then have a conversation with your builder.  Give him facts, not opinions.

If you have a complaint with a new gun..take it up with the builder.  This forum shy's away from complaining about builders. PM folks and your not in the open forum then.

Not bashing you either, just trying to help like most of us do.

44 minutes ago, lcs said:

Sounds like you bought something without test driving.  In our sport, just about every gun maker gun's can be found at local or state matches.  Everybody I know would be happy to a let an interested shooter look at their guns and even shoot em once or twice.  Seek the help of someone who shoot's limited and get their help to rule out any operator error and then have a conversation with your builder.  Give him facts, not opinions.

If you have a complaint with a new gun..take it up with the builder.  This forum shy's away from complaining about builders. PM folks and your not in the open forum then.

Not bashing you either, just trying to help like most of us do.

No one here locally, at least none that am aware of, owns a CK Limited in 9mm.

I took it up with the builder, or at least one of them, and was told to change the recoil spring.

How does not complaining when a complaint exists solve any problems, and how in the world would I know anyone here who owns a CK?

6 hours ago, MikieM said:

Beats all, don't it.

Why would you bring that dissatisfaction here? The forum (nor it's members) caused that dissatisfaction,  nor can they remedy the dissatisfaction that you feel. The only remedy is to take it up with your builder. 

13 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I took it up with the builder, or at least one of them, and was told to change the recoil spring.

How does not complaining when a complaint exists solve any problems, and how in the world would I know anyone here who owns a CK?

Ask around at matches or wherever shooting is taking place.

16 minutes ago, MikieM said:

If you really want help

1) What loads are you using?

2) Is the gun feeding correctly? 

3) you mentioned ejected brass coming straight back ? Can be recoil spring or just light loads.....

What was you intended purpose buying a 9 2011--3 gun? or just shooting Limited minor ?

These "toys" are built by humans...Humans make mistakes. Sometimes small, sometimes large...Does anyone here think that every Ferrari,  Porsche, Lamborghini,  Maserati, Mercedes-Benz,  BMW, Rolls Royce, or any other high end car (Maybe excluding a Maybach) has not EVER had an issue? Take it up with the builder,  he (or she) is the only one who can make things right in your eyes...anything else is just misery loves company.

34 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

These "toys" are built by humans...Humans make mistakes. Sometimes small, sometimes large...Does anyone here think that every Ferrari,  Porsche, Lamborghini,  Maserati, Mercedes-Benz,  BMW, Rolls Royce, or any other high end car (Maybe excluding a Maybach) has not EVER had an issue? Take it up with the builder,  he (or she) is the only one who can make things right in your eyes...anything else is just misery loves company.

Can't argue with that.

9 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

In an ideal world I agree. A gun for $3k should not have any issues.

But as I said you have to judge this stuff by comparing to its peers. In this case that's competition 2011s. 

An sti DVc is basically the same price (within $50) and from what Ive personally seen many have way more serious issues than this.

So do 2011s from other makers in this price range. If you go up the scale to sv it gets better but they are not immune either. I know personally of a few guys whose new sv's had to go back. 

I totally agree it should come ready to rock.

10 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

In an ideal world I agree. A gun for $3k should not have any issues.

But as I said you have to judge this stuff by comparing to its peers. In this case that's competition 2011s. 

An sti DVc is basically the same price (within $50) and from what Ive personally seen many have way more serious issues than this.

So do 2011s from other makers in this price range. If you go up the scale to sv it gets better but they are not immune either. I know personally of a few guys whose new sv's had to go back. 

I totally agree it should come ready to rock.

Beer in mind BB, (I couldn't resist) my particular CK is almost $500 more, and that's with no magazines.

I've had new cars that required a return to the dealership for a tweak, or two, that's for sure, but somehow this seems different. When the builder tells you he has put at least 10 rounds through the gun before the finish was applied, and then 10 more afterwards, and because of that tells you it can't possibly be doing what it's doing, then a fellow kind of feels all out there by his lonesome.