Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape ideas (need some)

B_RAD

I put some talon grips on my G34's. Followed the instructions. 5 minutes of dry fire and the support hand side is moving forward on both of my guns.  So, I cut that side off about half way. I guess my focus on gripping harder is paying off. 

I've googled and see that this is common. I'm wondering if anyone had come up with a hack for this? Super glue? I'm gonna try some skate board tape starting on the back strap and wrap it around to the left side. That way my right hand will hold that down and my left hand won't be able to slide it forward. 

If I can't get something to work I'll end up stippling or silicon carbide the grip. I want to be able to shoot in SSP so even though stippling/SC is production legal, it'll kick me into ESP. I might just have to deal with that.

Anyone come up with another solution  ?

Edited by B_RAD

3 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

Are you heating the grip and then the grip tape after it's applied? I wear all the sand off of mine and the backing never moves.

Yes.  I followed the instructions. 

How hard would you say your gripping the  gun?

I'm applying a lot of pressure with my support hand. 

Maybe you got a bad one? I never have heated mine on 3 different guns and none of them had issues. Very good grip strength too and no issues. I will say the little alcohol pad they send was garbage. I cleaned all of my grips with denatured alcohol and a tooth brush and let dry for a few minutes before applying.

I typically use Jessup or MOB skate tape, easily found at a skate shop or on Amazon 

Anyway, I have a template from a pro laser cut set that I use. Similar to dawson tape on the front but I also use a piece on the back to wrap over the side. I've modified my own pieces I use, like not so high on the back strap so I have a little wiggle when being fast to get my grip and come out of the holster. 

I use a hair dryer and get it all hot and then apply, I keep using heat until I get it all smoothed out. IF there is a small section that won't lay down use a lighter for more local heat and press it in with your thumb or a cloth because it's HOT. 

Recently I've changed them and put them in a vise overnight to keep pressure on it for 12 hrs or so, I grip really hard and haven't had it move yet. 

Using this front and back piece of tape I only ever need to change the back piece about once a year, the front piece that wraps to the sides has yet to wear out or move. Here is a picture of the template I started using.

3599959638_1ccc377266.jpg

Edited by Marshal82

All I use it the 3M safety walk tape.  I clean the gun with non acetone fingernail polish remover and heat things grip with a heat gun (don't take much don't over heat it) then put the tape on and then heat it up with the heat gun.  It stays stuck for a long time.

6 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Yes.  I followed the instructions. 

How hard would you say your gripping the  gun?

I'm applying a lot of pressure with my support hand. 

I have the grip from hell with my weak hand. I either use Manny Bragg's grip tape or make them out of Jessup with a pattern made from Manny's grips. Sometimes it take more than alcohol to get all the oil off. Getting the grip clean and applying heat is the secret to keeping the tape in place. Castrol Super Clean works well to degrease the grip before the alcohol is used. The brand of tape also has a lot to do with the longevity.  I make sure the grip frame is hot before applying the tape and then re-heat them and hold tight until it cools off keeping pressure on the edges with my right hand and the my left holding a firm grip until the adhesive sets up. I do mine just like Marshall82 and wear the sand off long before the base gives up and it never moves.

Also, when you see the tape conform to the shapes it covers you have done it right. You can see all the original shapes under the tape after I am through, the heat makes the tape conform and shrink down into the blocks and stippling of the original grip.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• 3 weeks later...

An easy way to make your own panel patterns is to strip the frame and then press plain paper to the textured panel areas of the frame to get a general shape. Cut out the pattern and then check for fit making alterations until you're happy with the shape. Now you'll have some templates you can use and reuse as needed.

I use skateboard tape that I cut to a pattern I have. Clean the grip with alcohol, warm the grip a bit with hair dryer, apply the cutouts. Then I wrap tightly with paracord for the full length of the grip. Let it sit overnight. 

The wrapping with paracord is like clamping parts while gluing. Using this method, I've never had one come off until I take it off. 

6 hours ago, mitommy said:

I use skateboard tape that I cut to a pattern I have. Clean the grip with alcohol, warm the grip a bit with hair dryer, apply the cutouts. Then I wrap tightly with paracord for the full length of the grip. Let it sit overnight. 

The wrapping with paracord is like clamping parts while gluing. Using this method, I've never had one come off until I take it off. 

I like this idea. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 8:32 AM, JAM said:

All I use it the 3M safety walk tape.  I clean the gun with non acetone fingernail polish remover and heat things grip with a heat gun (don't take much don't over heat it) then put the tape on and then heat it up with the heat gun.  It stays stuck for a long time.

I 2nd his this the 3M tape has great adhesive even with no heat. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard of people using Coban which is the self sticking tape a doctor (or vet) might use) and finally found some in a few colors - black, dark blue tan and white - at Walgreens.  I didn't buy it as I am using the traction tape from 3M right now but it seems that a 4" wide roll was under $5.

I'm surprised you had an issue with a Talon grip.  I've been using them on my polymer competition guns down here in sweaty Florida and never had an issue.
I just used the alcohol pad that came with the grip.

TalonGrip G34.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd add some info. 

Tried decals from A-Zone. I dont use the the part that goes on the backstrap.  Just the wrap around that covers both sides.  These have held up!  No movement at all. 

Funny story, I have two buddies with talon grips and I fired both thier guns this last weekend. Neither held up after gripping the guns once.  I told them "looks like neither of you grip hard enough"