Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1- 1.5-8 or 2-10x Scope recs with BDC

Old eyes. Tried a search.. not really getting  the info I need.

I see the big heavy IOR Val Trident 1.5 - 8 with a good BDC out there...looking at options out to 10x with a BDC for .223 55-77 gr stadia, preferably  with thin stadia lines. Shooting out to 450...suggestions or threads  welcomed.

Running  a Vortex HD Razor 1-6 now with good results,  but I needs to see at 300+ better.

I am aware of the pending  release of the new strike Eagle...1-8. Thanx for looking.

I see the big heavy IOR Val Trident 1.5 - 8 with a good BDC out there...looking at options out to 10x with a BDC for .223 55-77 gr stadia, preferably  with thin stadia lines. Shooting out to 450...suggestions or threads  welcomed.

Running  a Vortex HD Razor 1-6 now with good results,  but I needs to see at 300+ better.
I am aware of the pending  release of the new strike Eagle...1-8. Thanx for looking.

If you don't need the 1x on the low end, I have been using a vortex viper hs 2.5-10 with dead hold BDC reticle for open division at matches with a lot of long range. The reticle works great with my 69gr load. Simple easy to remember and great glass. I prefer the hs as it has capped turrets.

390fc6129c36318b15a6615b535f24af.jpg

You might be able to get a good price on a burris xtr ii in 1.5-8x.  I have a 1-5x on my .223. Wouldn't mind at all putting a stronger one on my .308. 1.5-8 is a little roo low for my pirposes but the grass is super clear and their bdc is good.  

Edited by jkrispies

6 hours ago, sb3 said:

If you don't need the 1x on the low end, I have been using a vortex viper hs 2.5-10 with dead hold BDC reticle for open division at matches with a lot of long range. The reticle works great with my 69gr load. Simple easy to remember and great glass. I prefer the hs as it has capped turrets.

390fc6129c36318b15a6615b535f24af.jpg

A friend of mine is using the same scope in Tac Ops, has a set of iron offset sights on his rifle.

On 4/19/2017 at 5:02 PM, TISCHLJ said:

You will see better with the Razor on 6x than you will with the Strike Eagle on 8. Its not all about magnificaiton its about clarity which is dependent on the quality of the glass. I have a new Swarovski 1-8 and its awesome but its not cheap. 

I had an IOR.  Loved it.  Schott Glass!  They eye box was a little short but manageable. I used it at RM3G.  It worked great.  I gave it to a friend.

I run a Swaro 1.7-10.  Awesome.

Tried the dual focal plane Burris 1.5-8, unforgiving eye relief, not a good thing for 3gun imho. Now have the PA 1-8 in 2nd focal plane. Solid scope, very nice reticle, positive click adjustment, great glass for the price + lifetime warranty. What's not to like?

58 minutes ago, bushmeat said:

Tried the dual focal plane Burris 1.5-8, unforgiving eye relief, not a good thing for 3gun imho. Now have the PA 1-8 in 2nd focal plane. Solid scope, very nice reticle, positive click adjustment, great glass for the price + lifetime warranty. What's not to like?

Yep PA makes an excellent scope for the money. I have two of the FFP versions

Pat

On 4/25/2017 at 5:10 PM, Alaskapopo said:

You will see better with the Razor on 6x than you will with the Strike Eagle on 8. Its not all about magnificaiton its about clarity which is dependent on the quality of the glass. I have a new Swarovski 1-8 and its awesome but its not cheap. 

I recently found this to be true by going from a SE 1-6 to a Steiner 1x4.

I actually don't miss the extra 2x at all. 

I recently found this to be true by going from a SE 1-6 to a Steiner 1x4.

I actually don't miss the extra 2x at all. 

I'll echo this 100%. I went from a SE to the Steiner P4Xi as well and shoot better at distance now with the 4x because the glass is better and the reticle lines are finer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still watching, thank you all for the replies. I have looked,at the PA 1-8 and see their is the reg and the platinum trim...want to buy once... also looking at the Vortex suggestions. 

12 hours ago, TISCHLJ said:

Still watching, thank you all for the replies. I have looked,at the PA 1-8 and see their is the reg and the platinum trim...want to buy once... also looking at the Vortex suggestions. 

Great thing about PA 1-8 is you don't have to buy once. It's cheap enough and very, very good value for the price. IMHO, glass clarity over magnification is overrated since we all wear glasses and they're all smudged anyway by the 2nd stage of a match. A bigger target in my reticle gives me confidence to pull the trigger faster.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2017 at 6:56 AM, bushmeat said:

Great thing about PA 1-8 is you don't have to buy once. It's cheap enough and very, very good value for the price. IMHO, glass clarity over magnification is overrated since we all wear glasses and they're all smudged anyway by the 2nd stage of a match. A bigger target in my reticle gives me confidence to pull the trigger faster.

Clarity means a lot. Looking through cheaper class is worse than looking through smudged glasses in my opinion. 

Pat

8 hours ago, Alaskapopo said:

Clarity means a lot. Looking through cheaper class is worse than looking through smudged glasses in my opinion. 

That's easy for YOU to say, Pat, you blew the bank with a couple of Swar's    :lol:

I've never even looked through a Swar (too poor) but keep reading here from

the experts (including Pat) that clarity is Much More important than power.    :) 

I know I've used enough "cheap" scopes to vouch for "smudged" and "
not bright" doesn't cut it.   

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's easy for YOU to say, Pat, you blew the bank with a couple of Swar's    :lol:

I've never even looked through a Swar (too poor) but keep reading here from

the experts (including Pat) that clarity is Much More important than power.    :) 

I know I've used enough "cheap" scopes to vouch for "smudged" and "
not bright" doesn't cut it.   

Sorry did not mean to be all optic snobby. I will say once you look through clear glass its hard to accept anything else. Its addicting. 

Pat