Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP9 SFX issue

Heckler

I just picked up a new TP9 SFX and attempted to mount a Vortex Venum to it.  I mounted the number 1 plate to the gun and then started mounting the optic to the plate.  As I turned the screws I noticed it felt spongy.  I took the screws out and the helicoils from the mounting plate had come out with the screws.

Anyone else had this issue?  How do I fix this?

screws-vi.jpg

Thanks AZRock, I checked out the link.  There are way too many options there for me to screw up.

I had sent a request to Century Arms and CanikUSA yesterday, I got a response from Century Arms this afternoon after sending a friendly reminder to both this afternoon.

I am pretty surprised at the amount of information they need just to send me a non-firearm part.  Copy of original receipt for purchase of firearm, Serial number, copy of Drivers License, and complete a waiver of liability.

I filled out all the information and submitted the forms back.  Now I sit back and wait to see how long the process takes.

No problem.  I am a little puzzled they helicoiled all the tapped holes.  Usually you only do that if you have to put threads in soft material (plastic or cast) or you messed up and used the wrong size tap drill.  I am leaning towards somebody messed up and they just did it across the board.  If future versions come tapped I guess we will know.  I know my slide racker post won't seat all the way down so I am side loading the threads, need to check and see if the tang for that helicoil is knocked off like it is supposed to be.  I noticed a few still present on my other plates but don't remember if I checked the plate I ended up using.

Yes, all the info they want, they already have at their fingertips. On the Canik forum, someone posted that they wanted a copy of their driver's license also?????.....I'm waiting for the Viper Venom , 6 MOA dot to be in stock. Good point, why a heli coil in a steel frame???.... None of us have had a response from either Century Arms or Canik USA as to why the SF & SFX haven't been sent to USPSA or IPDA for being approved for competition either, NOT A PEEP!!!!...

• 3 weeks later...

Sent Century an email on May 5 requesting an update.  Got a reply today saying that they are waiting for a shipment from Canik.

I take that to mean, "You will get when you get it."

So my brand new gun sits in the safe and I am now rethinking buying a third Canik.

• 2 months later...

Since we are talking about Canik 9sfx optic issues....  I bought one and my intent was to mount RTS2.  According to the advertisements, it has four adapter plates fitting just about every micro red dot on the market.

The manual included with the gun says Plate # 3 fits C-more and like.   NOPE, not so.  It is impossible to use the #3 plate or any other plate for a C-more RTS2.

I emailed and called customer service.  I was very specific about what the problem was.  I even included a picture.  I was contacted in a reasonable amount of time and again was quite clear about the impossible fit.  They sent me all the stupid paperwork to sign and I returned it promptly.  I received a new plate in about 6 or 7 days.  Cool, I'm happy with the service and response.  I open the package and it is the EXACT same plate.

The tech spoke great English, so I know it was not a language barrier thing..   Now I am frustrated and pissed.  A lot of wasted time!!!!

I meant to update this post.  

On June 19th I sent a request for a status update.  The same day I got a response from Kelley Coder that Robert Pittman was out on vacation,  Robert is who had responded to my previous emails ALWAYS a day or four after I sent the email.

Kelley said he saw that the part had not shipped yet and he would check on it.  Three days later I had the new part.

Now, I have a gun that shoots great, not a single jam, very accurate, and very nice gun for the price.  BUT!!, having to wait over two months to be able to use, shoddy communication, and having to jump through many hoops to get a replacement part have really tainted my Century Arms Canik excitement........