Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open reloading question

Broski

4 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

In my experience, accuracy at 15 yards + is horrible with plated bullets, how do your groups look at longer distances?

I haven't benched the gun to see what it's really capable of, but the accuracy is more than suitable for practical shooting. I use my major loads at local outlaw steel shoots, and I'm able to ping 6" targets quickly at 25 yards with no trouble.

They're slightly oversized at .356", and I think that contributes to their good performance.

Well I found out some information about my gun that i didn't know before. Other than the good ole Winchester white box ammo that I have been feeding it, the only other rounds that have been run through the gun since it got built for open were hand loads that a buddy worked up and shoots in his production guns. 3.7 grains of Bullseye under an SnS Castings 125gn RN with CCI or Winchester SPP. Out of his production guns, CZ and Tangfoglio, they make right around 132pf. I think I may start there because until I get comfortable with reloading, I really don't wanna push the envelope loading 9 major. I would rather keep all my digits and learn more slowly rather than screw something up and loose a hand or 2. I do have a sample of Leatherhead bullets coming, and thinking about trying some Swamp Popper, Black Bullets, and maybe Blue Bullets to see how they all do, and make a final decision from there.

13 minutes ago, Broski said:

3.7 grains of Bullseye under an SnS Castings 125gn RN

You realize that lead bullets (and FMJ's) can cause your comp to get "leaded up",

and you might have to clean it regularly.

Best to stay with JHP's with a comp....    :) 

Looking at my comp currently I am not seeing much from the coated bullets before I got it. If I have to take a dental pick to it from time to time, I'll just add that to my cleaning regiment.