Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader help

Broski

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/414369/frankford-arsenal-quick-n-ez-case-tumbler-master-kit-with-quick-n-ez-rotary-media-separator-110-volt?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-Frankford+Arsenal-_-414369&gclid=CJi3xLOqutMCFVi1wAoduPYF-w

buy this it's bigger and has everything for $10 more.

i think the Lyman's is an inch or two smaller, I ran at least 800 or a 1,000 cases at a time for a long time before it gave up on me.

I have the 18lb harbor freight one now and it sits full of polished brass for a long time before I get to it.  The small ones like Lyman and FA , I had to run every couple days.  Use or buy a Christmas light timer after the holidays if you keep it in a place that you don't hear well.  It really comes down to available space and how often you want to run the thing that should guide what size to buy.

the big one sounds awesome until you have 5-6 five gallon buckets of brass that have to be sorted before you tumble them.

or give up dealing with it all together and buy once fired, roll sized, deprived brass sorted by headstanp from Kenny for $50/1,000 and sell it after you shoot it for $20/K

like all else, it's time or money, pick the one you have more of

3 hours ago, Broski said:

I have read some pretty bad reviews on that thing drewbeck. Anyone else have any experience with the kit from midway?

I tried the separator when I wet tumbled. Utter junk. I hear the FA tumblers are serviceable though.

On 4/21/2017 at 5:23 PM, Broski said:

I would case gauge off my barrel, but being that it's an open div Glock, it's a bit more cumbersome to strip. I think I'll get myself a case gauge of some sort. Hoping to start building the bench it will go on next week, and start getting all the small stuff ordered... I knew I shouldn't have bought that damned open gun... lol

Congrats on your purchase! As far as a work bench goes, I purchased one from Harbor Freight (attached link) a couple of years ago and after securing it to the wall, it has been great! It has plenty of room for my 550B and the drawers and shelf are very handy. Don't pay $159 though. I got mine on sale for $129 and used a 20% off coupon. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-69054.html?utm_source=publitas&utm_medium=monthly-ad&utm_campaign=042017

http://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Broski said:

Ok guys, now that I've got an open gun I guess it's time to get myself into reloading. Here is my quandary. I have an offer to buy a used Square Deal B with 2 calibers (9mm & 45acp) for $400 plus shipping or I can get a new 550 from Dillon. Being brand new to this I don't know which way to go, so I figured I would ask you guys. What would you guys recommend I do?

SDB = low cost to start

550 = low cost long term

650 = higher cost up front

Plus side = speed, bells and whistles