Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" 9x19 AR15 Carbine Chrono Test.... 77 different 9x19 OEM rounds chronographed.

NOTE : the rounds with the ............ lines are just ones I am waiting to be delivered, so that data will follow later.

As always... YMMV... so please view my carbines data as just my results... the same barrel, under the same conditions, so as to eliminate variables, .... your carbine might be faster or slower slightly.

I want to make sure everyone realizes my results are from a Colt Pattern Carbine, with a mag block insert..... any feeding issues might not happen in a Glock Pattern, or a designed from the ground up 9x19 carbine ( Beretta, Sig .. etc.. ) So take the feeding issues with a grain of salt.

I realize most people are not really concerned with the velocity of various 9x19 rounds... but ...My goal was to see what will run in my carbine, what the velocities were , and "guesstimating" what the added velocity would do to the various JHP, Bonded HP's, Copper HP's etc.... ( You have to start somewhere... )

A good example would be the Fed. XM9001.... that older design bullet already penetrates to a shallow depth.. and the added velocity will probably make its penetration depth less... kinda acting like a "varmint" 9mm round.

I also know there are various other sites with very helpful info ( BBTI ) ... but, some of their data is kind of dated, and does not include the newest rounds.

Weather.....68 degrees, slightly overcast, chronograph was 12 feet from the muzzle.

18rds of each 9x19 ammo was chronographed...
The reason being, I am going to later conduct a 32rd mag test concerning reliability / feeding and accuracy test... I will include the FTF and FTE , etc from this round of testing.

My "standard" for velocity checks, is GECO Swiss 124gr... I have found it to be very consistent and accurate... so I used it every hour to spot check velocity.
Just to make sure the sun or "murphy's law " wasn't skewing chronograph results.

Rifle info....
PSA 16" 9MM Colt Pattern Hybrid, 1n10 twist, Lantac Muzzle Brake, ALG ACT trigger with JP Springs, 6.75oz Buffer, Tubbs .308 variable power spring.

Competition Electronics ProChrono Pal Chronograph was used....

General observations...

Not all 9mm is created equal... I observed numerous nasty bullet setbacks.. Photos will follow later... but it was obvious some brands use better QC and neck tensions / crimp pressure.... ( Remember YMMV )

Only one 9mm OEM round would not cycle consistently, it should be noted that every other FMJ bullet fed perfectly in my carbine, but not the MaxxTech 115gr FMJ ... and it was VERY low velocity as well ( compared to same weight ammo ) perhaps the low velocity contributed to the feed issues.....

While some of the ammo was expensive, those same rounds were very impressive in function.. I have to say Buffalo Bore ammo was 100% reliable....even while using the same bullet ( Barnes X bullet ) that other manufacturers rounds had trouble with.

I expected some JHP's to choke while feeding, simply because of the HP's profile and the less then perfect feed ramps of a Colt pattern carbine.... and some did.... consistently across the weights.
That is NOT to say it is bad ammo... just not a good choice in my AR15 Colt pattern 9MM... that same ammo might feed perfectly in a Sig MPX... Or a Glock Pattern AR....or such.

As we all know... a blowback 9mm carbine can get filthy quickly, and some ammo burns very clean... while some burns filthy.
If you are running a suppressor..... I strongly suggest you use the cleanest burning, fully coated / "sealed" bullet.... I was just starting to have issues with chambering at the end of the day.. from the gunk that had accumulated. There was no noticeable effect on velocities... just function got sluggish.

Onward to the velocity results.... ( accuracy and 32rd reliability tests will be part 2 )

Edited by Para 16

115gr and below...

Polycase, 65gr Interceptor..................................................................................................
Polycase, 65gr Interceptor RNP...........................................................................................

Ruger, +P 80gr ARX............................................................................................................

Buffalo Bore, +P+ 95gr Barnes TAC-XP..........1880fps, very consistent, Low ES

LeHigh Defense, +P 90gr Extreme Defense... 1773fps, no issues.

Magtech, 95gr JSP...............................................................................................................

Hornady, 100gr Lite, Flextip...................................................................................................

Aguila, 115gr FMJ......................................1360fps, low ES
Aguila, +P 115gr FMJ.................................1418fps

Armscor, 115gr FMJ...................................1200fps, very smooth shooting.

Barnes, +P 115gr XTAC...............................1303fps ...4 FTF

Blazer, 115gr FMJ.......................................1335fps

Brown Bear, 115gr FMJ ..............................1398fps... the gunky chamber didn't like the Lacquered case

Browning, 115gr FMJ...................................1392

Buffalo Bore, +P+ 115gr Barnes TAC-XP .....1505fps, very low ES, so much so that it was noticeable , very consistent feeling.

Colt SCHP, 115gr Solid Copper HP...............1360fps.... dismal feeding.. 8 FTF... no setback though

Estate, 115gr FMJ...........................................................................................................................................................

Federal, 115gr FMJ Aluminum cased, .........1326fps... 4 NASTY bullet setbacks resulting in FTF
Federal, 115gr JHP, XM9001.......................1532fps
Federal 115gr SynTech...............................1362fps....3 FTF... found a chunk of the "Poly" jacket in the rifle cleanup
Federal, +P+ 115gr JHP 9BPLE.............................................................................................................................................
Federal, 115gr JHP 9BP.........................................................................................................................................................
Federal, 115gr FMJ AE..........................................................................................................................................................
Federal, 115gr FMJ "Champion".............................................................................................................................................
Fiocchi, 115gr HP.................................................................................................................................................................
Fiocchi, 115gr FMJ...............................................................................................................................................................

Herters, 115gr "Total Nylon Jacket"......................................................................................................................................

Hornady, 115gr C. Defense FTX...................1340fps

HotShot, 115gr FMJ............................................................................................................................................................

GECO, 115gr FMJ, German made................1334fps

IMI, 115gr FMJ..........................................1427fps, very low ES, clean
IMI 115gr Di-Cut..................................................................................................................................................................

Independence, 115gr FMJ..........................1305fps... 60 ES

Magtech, 115gr FMJ..................................1371fps
Magtech, +P+ 115gr JHP..................................................................................................................................................

MaxxTech, 115gr FMJ................................1198fps, for a FMJ bullet..numerous FTF, underpowered part of the issue ?

PMC, 115gr FMJ........................................1287fps

PPU, 115gr FMJ.........................................1363fps, NASTY setback in 9rds ( worst of all the setbacks ) This is the ammo that made me realize "not all ammo is equal"
PPU, 115gr FMJ NATO.......................................................................................................................................................

Sellier & Bellot, 115gr FMJ.........................1340, large ES 102, smelled odd ?!
Sellier & Bellot, 115gr JHP.........................1370fps.... 5 FTF, 2 with setback

Sig Sauer, 115gr FMJ.................................1498fps
Sig Sauer, 115gr JHP V-Crown....................1462fps... NASTY setback... AGAIN, setback in my Carbine YMMV !!!

Silver Bear, 115gr .....................................1525fps

Speer, 115gr GD.................................................................................................................................................................
Speer, 115gr TMJ.......................................1396fps
Speer, +P 115gr TMJ..........................................................................................................................................................
Speer, +P+ 115gr GD.........................................................................................................................................................

Winc., 115gr FMJ.......................................1370fps
Winc., 115gr FMJ "Forged"

Wolf, 115gr FMJ Military Classic..........................................................................................................................................
Wolf, 115gr FMJ Polyperformance..............1530fps... 1st lot #,... tested twice because of the high velocities
Wolf, 115gr FMJ Polyperformance..............1410fps... 2nd different lot #,... also tested twice because of the very different lots.

Edited by Para 16
Added more rounds to test

124gr

Aguila, 124gr FMJ.................................1280fps

Armscor, 124gr FMJ
Armscor, 124gr JHP

Atomic, +P 124gr JHP, Match.......................................................................................................................................

Buffalo Bore, +P 124gr JHP...................1470fps

Century, 124gr FMJ.......................................................................................................................................................

Colt 124gr JHP, by Double Tap..............1332fps , 3 FTF , 3 setback of the setbacks single loaded and fired.. 1419fps
Colt NM 124gr FMJ................................1280fps

Federal, 124gr HST...................................1335fps.. oddly a little smokey
Federal, +P 124gr HST..............................1422fps
Federal,124gr FMJ AE................................1287fps
Federal, 124gr "Suppressor"...........................................................................................................................................

Fiocchi, 124gr JHP..........................................................................................................................................................
Fiocchi, 124gr Truncated Cone........................................................................................................................................

Hornady, 125gr FMJ, Steel Match....................................................................................................................................
Hornady, +P 124gr TAP FPD.....................1378fps, 2 FTF, no bullet setback

GECO, 124gr FMJ Hungarian.....................1242fps
GECO, 124gr Copper Clad Steel Jacket, Swiss.... 1248fps... 8 ES

Independence, 124gr FMJ................................................................................................................................................

IMI 124gr FMJ.........................................1325fps

Magtech, 124gr Bonded JHP.................1392fps
MagTech, 124gr FMJ............................1328, very Low ES

MEN 124gr FMJ....................................1310fps

PMC 124gr Starfire...............................1235fps, Honestly , I thought this would not feed... but it was perfect... soft shooting.
PMC, 124gr FMJ ...................................1195fps

Remington, +P 124gr BlackBelt GS........1398fps... 1 FTF, no setback
Remington, +P 124gr GS.......................1395fps... Perfect

Sellier & Belliot, 124gr FMJ, Gov. Contract RUAG........................................................................................................................
Sellier & Belliot, 124gr FMJ...................1280fps
Sellier & Belliot, 124gr Soft Point...........1290fps

Sig Sauer, 124gr JHP V-Crown..............1430fps... nasty setback 5rds.. 5FTF.. didn't like my Colt pattern feed lips.

Speer +P 124gr GD..............................1458fps
Speer 124gr GD...................................1376fps
Speer 124gr TMJ .................................1304fps

Winchester 124gr FMJ NATO................1340fps

Edited by Para 16

135gr, 147gr, and 158gr

Federal, +P 135gr Tactical Bonded HP......1345fps....

Hornady, 135gr Critical Duty Flexlock......1130fps, very low ES 14
Hornady, +P 135gr Critical Duty, Flex. ....1225fps.. ES 18

Sellier & Bellot, 140gr FMJ....................................................................................................................................

Aguila, 147gr FMJ.................................................................................................................................................

AYSM, 147gr "Match"..............................998fps....

Browning, 147gr X Point.........................1122fps... 2 FTF... no bullet setback
Browning, 147gr FMJ..............................1168fps... smooth as a sewing machine...and clean burning

Federal, +P 147gr HST..........................1182fps
Federal, 147gr JHP "9MS".......................1132fps

Fiocchi, 147gr FMJ.......................................................................................................................................................

Magtech, 147gr JHP...............................1195fps... High ES 98
Magtech, 147gr FMJ.....................................................................................................................................................

Remington, 147gr FMJ............................1144fps.... slightly odd bullet profile, but no issues.

Sig Sauer, 147gr FMJ....................................................................................................................................................
Sig Sauer, 147gr V-Crown.......................1165fps, 11rds FTF, nasty bullet setback... I am confident the V-Crown ( Sierra ) bullet is a GREAT design... but it just didn't feed in my carbine.

Silver Bear, 145gr JHP............................1052fps, 3 FTF.. no bullet setback

Speer 147gr GD ( 1st Gen ).....................1184fps... 5 FTF... no bullet setback...
Speer, 147gr TMJ.........................................................................................................................................................

Winc. 147gr FMJ Train & Defend..............1107fps.... very accurate, very clean burning, and very smooth running... My favorite carbine ammo. Hands down.
Winc. 147gr Bonded JHP ........................1167fps
Winc. 147gr FMJ, White Box..........................................................................................................................................
Winc. 147gr, JHP, White Box..........................................................................................................................................

Wolf, 147gr JHP, "Gold".................................................................................................................................................

Fiocchi, 158gr FMJ........................................................................................................................................................

IMI, 158gr FMJ.......................................1018fps.... low ES 16

PPU, 158gr FMJ......................................1005fps

Edited by Para 16
Great data, thanks for posting that!

Two questions:
First is the really stupid question.  ES stands for what? 
Second, and this one is pretty subjective:  any input into felt recoil among the various rounds?

I believe it stands for extreme spread in his report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added more up coming rounds for chronographing... They are the ones with all the ................................ behind them.

And ordered some Atlantic Arms AMU rounds and some 147gr Major ... ( I suspect these are loaded with VV 3N38, at about 1200fps from a pistol )

Edited by Para 16

This is awesome.  I have had some of the same setback problems you have had in addition I have had some really odd jams with the fed aluminum - but only in my carbine.  

Is there any chance that you could publish your data in spreadsheet format, maybe using google docs or something similar?  If you don't have a ready way to publish, I will volunteer to host it for you (everyone).

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, barrysuperhawk said:

This is awesome.  I have had some of the same setback problems you have had in addition I have had some really odd jams with the fed aluminum - but only in my carbine.  

Is there any chance that you could publish your data in spreadsheet format, maybe using google docs or something similar?  If you don't have a ready way to publish, I will volunteer to host it for you (everyone).

I don't have it in spreadsheet format... and frankly have no idea how to do that easily.

If someone wanted to do it... I could input the additional info as I get it.

IM me

I am more then happy to share with everyone.

Edited by Para 16
23 hours ago, Para 16 said:

I don't have it in spreadsheet format... and frankly have no idea how to do that easily.

If someone wanted to do it... I could input the additional info as I get it.

IM me

I am more then happy to share with everyone.

Ok, here is the first draft of the data.  I have it set to read only, and viewable without sign in.  This is a DRAFT hand copied from this thread, please help me proof and let me know any errors.  Once we have it sorted out, I can publish a permanent copy.

Google Docs link

Very Nice.
Thank you for your effort... I truly appreciate it.

The rest of the ammo is due to come in next week. ...

I also have a variety of older 9x19 rounds I would like to add as well... ( Winc. 127gr +P+, Silvertip, Winc. 115gr +P+ ...anything from the '80s and '90s I have sitting in the assorted ammo pile, that I have to sort )

Can that be added to the permanent copy at a later date ?

Also if possible, could the "Para 16" name also include "bfoosh06" ... I can't seem to figure out if I can change my "name" on this site to my much more common internet name.

And Barrysuperhawk.... If you are interested....I have a bunch of .223 /5.56 data as well.... 150+ rds ( not gonna count all of them right now... ) fired from a 16" and 20" AR.

Same boat on adding some data.... and sorting through my surplus piles.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/676005_Various-Chronograph-results----16-Middie-and-20-Rifle------223---5-56.html

Edited by Para 16
  • 2 weeks later...

My experience with your favorite Winchester 147gr Train and Defend FMJ TC ammo in my Wilson AR9G carbine was disasterous at the USPSA Cowtown match this weekend.

Worked fine on the bench, superb accuracy.

Won't work reliably under rapid fire.  My experience.  My gun.  Only ammo I've found so far that won't work reliably.

FYI, YMMV.

Thanks for all the Chrony info though, it's interesting.  BTW, the T&D 147gr ammo only chrono'd at about 980fps in my Wilson. 

Rounds added 7th May.

115gr and below...

Polycase, 65gr Interceptor....................................1940fps, smelled like burning plastic slightly 
Polycase, 65gr Interceptor RNP............................1844fps, smelled like burning plastic slightly 

Ruger, +P 80gr ARX..............................................1689fps, very low ES 12, smelled like burning plastic slightly 

Magtech, 95gr JSP................................................1694fps

Hornady, 100gr Lite, Flextip...................................1326fps, 2 bullet setbacks

Estate, 115gr FMJ..................................................1310fps

Federal, +P+ 115gr JHP 9BPLE...........................1640fps, very smooth running and feeding
Federal, 115gr JHP 9BP.......................................1363fps, very smooth running and feeding
Federal, 115gr FMJ AE.........................................1324fps
Federal, 115gr FMJ "Champion"..........................1340fps, oddly, softer recoil then the above AE

Fiocchi, 115gr HP.................................................1458fps
Fiocchi, 115gr FMJ...............................................1316fps, large ES 88

Herters, 115gr "Total Nylon Jacket"......................1340fps, large ES 88

HotShot, 115gr FMJ..............................................1372fps

IMI 115gr Di-Cut....................................................1352fps

Magtech, +P+ 115gr JHP......................................1640fps, very fast 115gr 

PPU, 115gr FMJ NATO..........................................1448fps

Speer, 115gr GD....................................................1525fps, ordered another box.. surprisingly fast. ... and tested twice at different hours.
Speer, +P 115gr TMJ.............................................1382fps
Speer, +P+ 115gr GD.............................................1596fps, given the "standard" pressure loads velocity, I was surprised this wasn't faster.

Wolf, 115gr FMJ Military Classic.............................1352fps

Rounds added 7th May.

124gr

Atomic, +P 124gr JHP, Match.......................................................1565fps

Federal, 124gr "Suppressor"........................................................1145fps

Fiocchi, 124gr JHP........................................................................1377fps
Fiocchi, 124gr Truncated Cone......................................................1292fps

Hornady, 125gr FMJ, Steel Match.................................................1258fps

Independence, 124gr FMJ.............................................................1325fps

Sellier & Belliot, 124gr FMJ, Gov. Contract RUAG.........................1201fps

Rounds added 7th May.

147gr and above.

Aguila, 147gr FMJ......................................1140fps

Fiocchi, 147gr FMJ.....................................1078fps

Magtech, 147gr FMJ...................................1090fps

Sig Sauer, 147gr FMJ..................................1248fps

Speer, 147gr TMJ.......................................1182fps

Winc. 147gr FMJ, White Box.......................1098fps
Winc. 147gr, JHP, White Box......................1146fps

Wolf, 147gr JHP, "Gold"...............................970-1109.... huge ES, throughout the string

Fiocchi, 158gr FMJ........................................947fps