Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have a Mark 7 SWAGEsense?

I process 9mm, 223, 308 and 30-06 on my 1050 and just started doing 45acp.  Those damn small primers!!!!!  Even with the clutch at 0 or 1, the small primer brass makes it through and usually tears the rim off the case.

I already have the F&FB swage rods and they work great, but am looking at the SWAGEsense.  

Any experience with it?  Is it easier to switch from small to large than regular rods?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running it for my .40 setup. It works well. Had a few ringers here and there and it stopped it right away. Just took a little tweaking to get it set, other than the extra small nut it is easier to get set.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

If I could have only one sensor on my Mark7, it would be Swage Sense....that how strongly I feel about it.

That! It is THE MOST IMPORTANT SENSOR, by far!

It makes the Optical Decapping Sensor useless, IMHO. The low primer one can easily be replaced with the "monitor" function, and both the POWDERSense and the BULLETSense can be replaced by a pair of eyes.

That! It is THE MOST IMPORTANT SENSOR, by far!

As Lee Corso says on Game Day: "Not so fast..." I don't load .45 on the MarkVII (do that manually on another 1050) so the small vs large primer isn't much of an issue , and in ~17k+ rounds of 9mm I have had exactly zero pierced primers or ringers. Do I take comfort in knowing it would be caught if there were one? Sure, but that doesn't move it to the top of the list based on my experience.

It makes the Optical Decapping Sensor useless, IMHO.

This is very true and you don't have to clean it either. Have both, but If you could only choose one or the other, then the SwageSense wins hands down.

The low primer one can easily be replaced with the "monitor" function,

IF (if being the operative word) you remember to reset the monitor each time you load primers. The decision was made for me as the PrimerSense was still included with the drive when I got mine, but if really pressed to choose just one sensor to add on, this would probably be at the top of my list. Important? Not really, but it sure as heck is a lot more convenient!

and both the POWDERSense and the BULLETSense can be replaced by a pair of eyes.

You lost me here... Are you actually sitting there at 1,800 rounds an hour and visually checking every single round as it's processed? Why automate if you are not going to really automate?

I load the press up, hit run and turnaround to either fill primer tubes or more likely crank away on the other 1050 on a lessor used round like .308, .45 or 10mm.

At 100 rounds the PrimerSense stops the machine. Load a 100 primers in, add a handful of cases, a handful of bullets, check the XL powder hopper, press the run button and Bob's your Uncle. You are back in business cranking out rounds on two presses at the same time.

Now I hated giving up separate seating and swaging stations for the PowderSense, but from a safety perspective, this would be the most important sensor to have IMO - especially on an automated machine where you could not possibly inspect every single round visually the same way you would if you were manually operating the press.

The only thing that might PO me more than a flipped primer, is a seated and crimped round with the bullet's rear end wagging up at you or dumping a loaded case of powder in a bin with roughly 1.5K to 2K of loaded rounds still covered in case lubricant. Both of which the new BulletSense has eliminated.

So if process efficiency and convenience are most important to you; get the PrimerSense.

If safety and piece of mind is of paramount concern; get the PowderSense.

If efficiency and near set-it and forget-it automation are at the top of your list, then get the BulletSense.

Oh hell's bells - just get them all :-)

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I needed to hear.  Thanks.

Can't go wrong with it. Works well.

One tip if you have a Dremel tool and can spare a case; cut the case open the way Dillon did in their manual.

It makes adjusting the swage rod and case backer so much easier. I just did that for the first time in setting up a new head to process 300 Blackout and it saved gobs of time over doing it by feel/trial and error.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a PITA to setup, but it is great to have.  It took the most time out of setting up everything else.  You have to be careful because the unit can turn to the side and get smashed by the press.  I took a dremel and cut a case in half to get it set properly.  It works well now but took a lot of tinkering.  

Yeah, every week. I group my loading runs into segments, all one size primers then the other. Swagesense is the best of the sensors, catches everything it is meant to. I have put indexing marks on the swage pins so I can swap out sizes quickly without having to reset them each time.

After I buy it, I will probably run both sensors.  It still happens on occasion (if I have the optical decapping sensor off) where a primer gets pulled back in part way and jams up the machine and then send brass flying out of station 8.