Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

?? on seating bullets for 9 major

JWBaldree

I've been loading on a 550 for 30 plus years, but this has me stumped. I recently started loading 9 major for my Czechmate (1st open gun). I purchased MG 115 & 124 JHPs and their 121s. I'm loading to 1.16 COAL which leaves about .125 of the bullet for the case to grab onto. I'm getting more than a few bullets being seated at a slight angle, especially with the 115s and 121s.

I'm using Dillon dies, don't overly flare cases, and crimp to .377. The Dillon seating die has the insert positioned for flat nose profiles. My last 15 years loading 9mm has been done using 147 Berrys loaded subsonic for Production and Squirt Guns. Even at 1.16 those bullets are deep enough in the cases that they are aligned straight. Maybe the RN profile helps too. Any pro tips on how to fix this?

5 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Very strange, I load 115s at 1.165" all the time, plenty of people load even longer, I've loaded as long as 1.190" with 115s, 124s can go even longer.

Same here. About 1.165 as well and all nice and straight

3 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Never had luck using the flat side of the seating stem. Always end up using the profiled side. 

Me too.  Except for DEWC bullets in 38 special, I have never had good luck with the flat seating stem even with bullets that look like they should work with the flat seater. 

As an FYI  - if you are using lee seating dies they will make you a custom bullet seater plug for about 10 bucks including shipping.  You send them a bullet and they make a seater plug that fits perfect.  Also, you can mold your own custom plug. using an existing seater plug and some two part epoxy like jb weld. 

Thanks for the die tips. I was kicking around ordering a Redding Competition Seating Die , but I might try the epoxy trick if using the Dillon round nose portion doesn't work. Actually wrote down measurements instead of trying to remember them. Average case length of .748, and bullet length of .575. Added together that totals 1.323. COAL of 1.16, which means the bullets are being seated .163 into the case. 

10 hours ago, racer-x said:

Use the smaller side of Dillon seating insert for MG JHP's.

Facing up in pic below with the ring around it.

IMG_4189.JPG

If you are not using this side for seating the MG JHP's, you will seat many crooked. 

I put it in wrong on accident after cleaning my dies & reloader a while back and had many that were crooked and would not pass case gauge. Fixed 100% with this side contracting bullets.

Pull it out and test fit a bullet against each side... you will see this side is a proper centered fit while the other side just doesn't fit at all.