Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best drill for a newbie

Johrichal

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't neglect the most basic of basics.  Put yourself on the clock, draw, fire one or two shots.  Whittle down the time for your first accurate shot, or two shots, while putting those bullets where you intend them to go.

Figure what works for you to get out of the holster to the sights on target in the most automatic way, consistently.  This will serve you well in any kind of stage in any kind of match.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:02 PM, LaraBully said:

I agree with what  DKnoch recommended . Besides being a a much better drill and charger it also has the newest  XR brushless DCF887  3 speed impact vs the  DCF885 basic model in the 9 tool kit. This would be a great starter kit and you could add the wanted bare tools as needed probably for around the same price.

Haha that was a while ago, but I didn’t know I was recommending a cordless drill/driver...or are we talking impact drills?  I would definitely change my answer now.  I would recommend Doubles Drill and then a dedicated transition drill.  I like doing 90 degree transition and a wide transition drill.  Obviously you have to train draws, reloads, movement and all components of USPSA, but I find I get a lot from doubles and transition drills.  Also get on PSTG, a ton of good info and videos there

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i set up a mini stage to help a friend get into USPSA by setting up 3-4 classifiers in a single bay. he had to chance to get in and out of position; practical controlled pairs; and be exposed to some of the more difficult arrays w/ hard cover and no-shoots. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 5:20 PM, NotAnAddict said:

As a shooter, I appreciate the different drills that are posted. I have never done competitive shooting so I am unfamiliar with all these drills.

If you do get involved, there are many Ranges in your Area that hold USPSA Matches. Get the USPSA Rules book too and learn about how not to get DQ'ed. Was at Paul Bunyan, new young shooter, first stage and first Match ever. Broke the 180 while reloading, argh! Felt bad for the guy, but encouraged him to come back and stay with it. He did return. 

Even when I started with a group of guys, I barely knew any rules at all, except the 180, finger in the trigger while moving loading/unloading, etc. But not really enough. It's great to see new people join the Matches, I wish there was a written test to help them before their first Match and to keep them/others safe. Go for it, it really is lots of fun. Some good people up in your area too. 

50 minutes ago, NotAnAddict said:

@lastcat, thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, the closest USPSA Matches to me are at least an hour away. 

It is what it is. I drive 2 1/2 hrs sometimes, average about 1 1/2 hrs to each Range. 3 in Ore and 5 in Wa. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've found one of the things that has helped me progress this past year was shooting at different clubs. Yeah it's fun shooting with your buddies every month but it makes me complacent. I think going to random clubs adds a little intensity for me and I get to see new things that I'm not used to. 

I've gotten a lot of value recently out of the Garcia dot drill.  I think that it teaches recoil management a bit better than the Bill Drill because it doesn't allow for as much slop.  You don't necessarily have to lay rounds right on top of each other (although it's great if you do), but you still have to have a good consistent grip to get all shots within the 2" circle, especially when you move out to 5 yards or more.  It's also great because you can make an entire training session out of just 36 rounds

Although the link specifies 7 yards, I wouldn't start out there at first.  Start at 3 yards, and move back by 1 yard when you start clearing the six dots consistently.

10 hours ago, Lightj75 said:

I've found one of the things that has helped me progress this past year was shooting at different clubs. Yeah it's fun shooting with your buddies every month but it makes me complacent. I think going to random clubs adds a little intensity for me and I get to see new things that I'm not used to. 

I agree with you on this Lighj. Fun to squad with your buddies, but I get too complacent about my part in shooting a good Match. All the small talk goofing around, then I'm on deck and needing to switch modes. I know there are Shooters that do well no matter the squad of buddies. I found I do better with a random Squad and less buddies. I find my focus. 

12 hours ago, Lastcat said:

I agree with you on this Lighj. Fun to squad with your buddies, but I get too complacent about my part in shooting a good Match. All the small talk goofing around, then I'm on deck and needing to switch modes. I know there are Shooters that do well no matter the squad of buddies. I found I do better with a random Squad and less buddies. I find my focus. 

Same here focus and consistency are going to be one of my main goals this year. Different clubs also let's you see different stage designs because even if people don't mean to sometimes their stages have the same theme or similar setups week after week so you get comfortable shooting those designs. I found out the hard way after my first 2 or 3 matches I switched to a different club and they had 6" steel at 25-30yds which I hadn't shot much of at my regular match, but man did I learn a lesson that day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I concur with the Garcia Dot Drill. I like shooting dots in general since about half of my live fire is done at an indoor range. This may not be a popular choice here, but the basic dot torture drill could be very beneficial for a newbie. Just start trying to master the fundamentals