Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spotting scope

JunotFranco

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Matt in TN said:

I took a chance on a Celestron 100mm for $229 and am thrilled with it.  Full review is here:  http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4348481

Thank you so much.  I have been looking at that model but thought it was not good enough... clearly I was wrong.  That will probably be the one.  Thanks!

The Celestron 100mm is a great scope but I like this having owned a dozen telescopes since the late 1960's.

I can see flies at 300 yards easily.

Link incorrect,  The 127mm "Apex" Cassegrain Maksutov for $369 delivered will amaze you with it's image. For a $14 adapter put your DSLR on it, Clearly see bullet holes at 300-500 yards. Fits standard Photo tripod, excellent for terrestrial or star gazing.

www.OrionTelescopes.com

Edited by hoodhazard
incorrect link

2 hours ago, hoodhazard said:

The Celestron 100mm is a great scope but I like this having owned a dozen telescopes since the late 1960's.

I can see flies at 300 yards easily.

Link incorrect,  The 127mm "Apex" Cassegrain Maksutov for $369 delivered will amaze you with it's image. For a $14 adapter put your DSLR on it, Clearly see bullet holes at 300-500 yards. Fits standard Photo tripod, excellent for terrestrial or star gazing.

www.OrionTelescopes.com

Does the Apex have variable magnification, or is it fixed at 62x?

This afternoon I marked off 400 yds with a good gps on a no parking sign. I could see the threaded 1/4 20 bolt on the back of the sign post (with supplied 25mm eyepiece) and thats gray on gray so I feel confident to see 7.62 on paper to 500 on a sunny day. I am super senior so my eyes ain't what you young guys have. Probably need more glass (objective lens) to see 600. Higher power usually dims the image just like rifle scopes that push the limits of their objective size. This scope has changeable eyepieces that change the power. My Tele Vue 40MM (38X) doesn't perform well on it (designed for 2" focusers with a 1.25 adapter) and my 10.5mm (146X) lanthanum dims the image. The 62X by the supplied 25mm seems to be a perfect choice all around.

Going to the 1000yd range soon and see how it helps me learn to precision shoot with my 6.5 Creedmore gas gun build.