Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver reloads

Jon8777

Dumb green horn question. I am looking to use my 617, if by chance I do not empty the cylindar what is the correct way to empty the chamber of live rounds and spent brass and keep everyone happy between strings? Do you bring a shooting mat or bag to collect the unfired rounds?

Edited by Jon8777

when I shoot PPC with my model 64, I hang a dump pouch off the front of my belt.  I eject the spent brass in to my right hand and throw it directly in to the dump pouch.  I reload with Safari Comp III reloaders using my right hand and throw the reloader in to the dump pouch too.  Doesn't take too much extra time and I don't have to crawl around and pick up my reloaders and brass after.  For IPSC, I'm still using moon clips though :)

With the 10-shot 617 in steel challenge, I empty the cylinder, fired and unfired, into a bag or container (we usually have a table next to the shooting box) and sort the whole mess out later.  That way you can reload a full cylinder with your 10 shot speed loaders and not have to fumble with individual cartridges.  Speeds things up.  You do have 5 speed loaders on your North Mountain magnetic speed loader holder don't you?

I am in the process of researching speed loaders, the ds10 looks like a good option. The speed bees look like an option, but that might piss people off if I fumble on the line. The ansac look great, but 60x5=ouch. 

You technicallyonly need one speedloader.

Get a loading block from North Mountain that will hold all your rounds and pick them up and load after each string. 

Edited by alecmc

Over the years, between what I bought and the loaders given to me by friends I've accumulated 15 DS-10 loaders.  I use two Pelican boxes like the last post, both given to me.  Afer each string I empty my brass in bag on my belt and at the end of the match I sort through the loaded/unloaded rounds.  I only have to reload my DS-10s once during the match.   I love saving time.