Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match in 30 years - Timed with a Sundial!!

Eureka1911

Shot my first match in 30 years on Sunday. Accurate but slow as a half dead snail. So I have the power and accuracy parts down, now I have the need for speed!! 68th of 79 shooters overall 4 of 6 in Single Stack. I did "nick" two hostages, but they were only flesh wounds, I swear!! 88% of shots were Alphas, 11% Charlies, no Bravo/Delta, no Mikes, just the 2 No Shoots. But they are bringing a Sundial to time me the next time out!!

But none of that matters. I had a blast and cannot wait for the next match. SA 1911 Loaded Target performed flawlessly, I just need to shoot it faster. Oh, and I HATE rotating metal targets!!!!!!

1987 was my First Match  ....     :bow:

We didn't use sundials back then, but we all shot SS, then, unless we had a new-fangled .38 super with 11 shots    .    :) 

Welcome back -  and Flat is correct, all of us Old Guys Hate Rotating Metal Targets   :( 

19 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

1987 was my First Match  ....     :bow:

We didn't use sundials back then, but we all shot SS, then, unless we had a new-fangled .38 super with 11 shots    .    :) 

Welcome back -  and Flat is correct, all of us Old Guys Hate Rotating Metal Targets   :( 

Believe it or not I envy you guys.  Now its getting to be a big arms race even in the divisions it shouldn't be. I love to see guys and listen to their stories that have been around that long.  You can gleam a lot of info from that wisdom. 

When I decided to get back into shooting a 1911 in .45ACP was my only real choice. Always liked them, always will. It's what I shot when I had faster reflexes back in the days when that was all we shot. Except for the lightweights who shot 9mm. :rolleyes: I started shooting IPSC/steel combat (what we called it in Tucson) around 1982. Did it for 5 years while in school. Got a job, moved to Texas, still shot recreationally, but not competitively. Drifted into other things, but here I am again!! Sorry it took so long. Forgot how much fun it is!!

7 hours ago, Edge40 said:

You can gleam a lot of info from that   wisdom

Thank you, son, but don't confuse old age with wisdom    :(

It was a lot better, in my opinion, when you either shot a .45 SS or a .38 Super 11 shot -

imagine, no Ltd 10, no Open, no Limited, no Production - much less PCC or optics.

Lot of fun, then.    :) 

12 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Thank you, son, but don't confuse old age with wisdom    :(

It was a lot better, in my opinion, when you either shot a .45 SS or a .38 Super 11 shot -

imagine, no Ltd 10, no Open, no Limited, no Production - much less PCC or optics.

Lot of fun, then.    :) 

I get all the divisions, it makes the sport more accessible but it definitely  waters them all down at the same time.

On 4/17/2017 at 8:35 PM, Eureka1911 said:

Shot my first match in 30 years on Sunday. Accurate but slow as a half dead snail. So I have the power and accuracy parts down, now I have the need for speed!! 68th of 79 shooters overall 4 of 6 in Single Stack. I did "nick" two hostages, but they were only flesh wounds, I swear!! 88% of shots were Alphas, 11% Charlies, no Bravo/Delta, no Mikes, just the 2 No Shoots. But they are bringing a Sundial to time me the next time out!!

But none of that matters. I had a blast and cannot wait for the next match. SA 1911 Loaded Target performed flawlessly, I just need to shoot it faster. Oh, and I HATE rotating metal targets!!!!!!

Those two "hostages" probably had Stockholm Syndrome anyway. 

On 4/17/2017 at 8:35 PM, Eureka1911 said:

I've been shooting USPSA for about 10 years now, I got a late start. I've been slowing down the last few years due to health issues.

They now time my "runs" with a calendar.

Glad to see you are back shooting.  Yes, your times will be slower in the beginning but keep it up.  I took a long lay off do to illness and really had a hard time coming back.  I use to be accurate and fast.  Now I'm slow and miss a lot but I'm enjoying myself and the company of all my old and new friends.  I'm getting better too.  You will improve as time goes by so keep up the good work.