Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More railway mounts for PCC.

Hello: I have been looking at C-More railway mounts for my PCC the last couple of months. The original C-More railway mount was not a bad deal at $15-$20 but when they went up to $40-$45 it got me looking. What I found was the American Defense Manufacturing one for around $70. This is built like a tank and very repeatable when taken on and off. It does sit about 0.100" higher than the C-More mount which is actually better for those with a longer neck. Here are some pics so you can see what they look like compared to the C-More mount. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I had no idea the factory railway amount was so expensive! My gunsmith had a bunch of them are laying around from building open class 1911s, so he gave me what I needed. After shooting a USPS a match and a steel challenge match with it, I realized I needed a small riser. My buddy has that American Defense base and it is the perfect height for me, but at over $70 it's not the right price for me since I already have the factory base. I've decided to just use a bit of Delron and get longer screws to make my own riser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a couple of AD mounts from Brownells, & promptly sent them back. They were too high for me, & I didn't like the back end of the sight unsupported. Probably just aesthetics, but it was the first ADM product that I didn't care for. The QD was great, as it always is on ADM stuff. 

Hello: I think the ADM mount will be great for those that like a red dot C-More for there PCC for USPSA pistol matches and then they can remove it to mount a scope for other type matches. It will be good to quickly change the scope if the battery goes dead since it will be faster to change the whole scope over with the ADM mount. So far I am liking it and may try it on a rimfire pistol setup I have also. Scope on for optic match and remove it for iron match. I am thinking the same for my 10/22. I like that it is made in the USA as well. Thanks, Eric

Hello: An offset mount would be hard to figure out if you need to turn the gun sideways a little bit around a wall I would think. The ADM mount when mounted is 0.080" higher than the C-More mount when mounted. Still works for me keeping the dot in the center of the glass. I really like that I can remove the C-More easily to give the upper a good cleaning. Thanks, Eric

22 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

I had no idea the factory railway amount was so expensive! My gunsmith had a bunch of them are laying around from building open class 1911s, so he gave me what I needed. After shooting a USPS a match and a steel challenge match with it, I realized I needed a small riser. My buddy has that American Defense base and it is the perfect height for me, but at over $70 it's not the right price for me since I already have the factory base. I've decided to just use a bit of Delron and get longer screws to make my own riser

The C-more tactical railway spacer is nothing more than a molded piece of plastic that is approximately 0.180" x 0.700" x 4.59" and has a couple of longer screws to accommodate the added thickness of the spacer.  A little creativity and a trip to Ace Hardware would work also, plus you could tailor the height.

You can buy one from C-more for 10 bucks, but the shipping is $13.  <_<

The C-more tactical railway spacer is nothing more than a molded piece of plastic that is approximately 0.180" x 0.700" x 4.59" and has a couple of longer screws to accommodate the added thickness of the spacer.  A little creativity and a trip to Ace Hardware would work also, plus you could tailor the height.

You can buy one from C-more for 10 bucks, but the shipping is $13.  <_>

That's exactly what I was going to do, since I didn't know C-more made a spacer. There's gotta be someone else that sells their spacer with cheaper shipping- at least I hope so!

Hello: So $45 for the mount and $10 for the shim plus $13 for shipping equals the price of the ADM from Brownells. I would use aluminum for the shim instead of plastic which you can find at Ace or big box build centers. Thanks, Eric

I already have the mount, just need the shim. I was originally going to use aluminum, but buddy talked me into Delrin since it's lighter and easier to mill. He also mentioned something about the friction of Delrin giving me a better hold should the screws slightly loosen. I don't know about that last part, but I like the idea of being able to easily cut it on my router.

Delrin is a great engineering plastic and should work well for you.  Generally, it has a low coefficient of friction with other materials and is hard to bond to.  But, your buddy may be referring to making the through holes for the screws a little undersized and letting the screw threads dig into the Delrin acting as a thread locker of sorts similar to a nylon insert lock nut.  

Delrin is a great engineering plastic and should work well for you.  Generally, it has a low coefficient of friction with other materials and is hard to bond to.  But, your buddy may be referring to making the through holes for the screws a little undersized and letting the screw threads dig into the Delrin acting as a thread locker of sorts similar to a nylon insert lock nut.  

Ahh, that makes sense!

• 6 months later...