Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to competition, new to its gear

buckyjames1

1st time poster, long time observer and have a few initial gear investment questions:

Recently upped my game from Glock (17) to the CZ checkmate. I am brand new to SA and brand new to comp'ed pistols but I'm ready for gear plung:

Most all of my gear has been tactical and in the heavy abuse categories but old gear suited me well enough for formal training, local competing, and sustainment but I would like to start getting my feet wet in 3gun, 1 gun, and USPSA limited and am having some difficulty settling on a new rig set up. 

- Right now I am looking at https://www.ghostholsterdirect.com/shop/ghost-holster-stinger-rig-set/ set up and would like to soak up comments/input from more experienced than I individuals.

- About everything I own for Carbine is MOLLE stuff outfitted on various belts so an extra AR mag will be needed as well.

- Far site picture would be to move up to open but not in near future. 

Long Story short,comments and  input needed on new gear for the CZ checkmate in limited form. 

For uspsa you would be in limited division or open depending on how you set czechmate up. For that I would recommend a racemaster holster. You would just need to slightly modify the sp01 version. It's easy to do. 

I love both the DAA Race master and the Alpha-X  I like both, but the Alpha more.  I like the DAA belts and mag pouches.  I've never had a whit or trouble with any of it.  DAA is great to deal with.

On another note, why would you shoot USPSA Limited with a Czechmate?  You will be scored Minor, and be at a disadvantage.  Shoot the comp'd setup in Open and have a ball (assuming you reload).

If you buy the DAA pouches,make sure to ask for the Glock spacer so your mags will fit better.

minor, limited by reloading and ammo.

I'm just getting set up. Between gun and re-gearing, I will be blowing through some initial cash. At least with manufactured ammo I can do small time events.

Reloading will come but $3k for gun, prolly $500 for holsters/pouches, usually shoot 1K manufactured ammo a month. Doesn't leave alot of room till I rebuild funds. I don't even know all the ins/outs and rules yet. 

Dear Diary:

Lesson #1: This is going to be an expensive endeavor

Edited by buckyjames1

Well sorry, but you bought an open tuned gun.. did ya think it was going to be cheap!?! Lol

Feeding the beast will become way more expensive than the gun or gear. I'd personally get a reloading press asap. You'll cut your ammo costs in half, and have major scoring ammo.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If I was shooting Limited minor 9mm, I wouldn't bother to reload.  A case of factory 9mm or a case of remanufactured 9mm costs $200 (and falling), shipped.  It costs me 16-17 cents each to reload, because I buy my brass already cleaned, I shoot plated or jacketed bullets (bullet feeder won't feed lead or most poly) and all the matches I shoot are lost brass.  At 1k/mo it is simply would not be worth my time.  That being said, I can't imagine firing only 1k rounds per month.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

... I shoot plated or jacketed bullets (bullet feeder won't feed lead or most poly) and all the matches I shoot are lost brass.  ...

In case you wish to change, I have a Mr. Bullet feeder and have been shooting poly coated lead for several months now.