Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different powders and accuracy

B_RAD

I've noticed (or at least I think I have) that some powders seem to be more accurate than others.  Seems lately that in the attempt to chase that magic load, there's been some testing by a few of us here in the 9mm sub section.  In the attempt to replace that nasty, hot burning TG, a lot of us have tried other powders.  The latest wonder powder seemed to be Prima V. Anyways, I've noticed it doesn't seem to be as accurate as TG. I'm seeing Ransom Rest test from forum member Darrell that seem to agree with my opinion. Also seems like others here feel TG is more accurate than Prima V as well as N320.

Just wondering why would one powder be more accurate with everything else for that load being the same?

9mm bullets have to be pushed fast to get great accuracy. Most people are trying to find an accurate load that will make a certain power factor, and be soft shooting. Hence is why they tried Solo 1000, N320, Tightgroup, etc. For truly accurate 9mm you have to use powders like N330/340, Power Pistol, and Accurate #7. A 115 gr JHP will be over 1200 fps, and a 124 over 1100. Look at the bullseye forum and you will see what they are using to get 1.5" groups at 50 yds in custom bullseye guns. One load that comes to mind is 115 Nosler or XTP at 1.08" oal, behind 4.8-5.0 of N330 or N340. 6.2 gr of power pistol works too.

I have found Vectan  Ba7 1/2  to be very accurate with 115 zero C's  in  my 9mm Tanfo's.  I am loading near the max in the Vectan  data and that load is still not real hot. I have not chrono'ed the load but it sure seems milder than the book velocity indicates,      

13 hours ago, Darrell said:

For accurate 9mm you have to use N330/340, Power Pistol, and Accurate #7. A 115 gr JHP will be over 1200 fps, and a 124 over 1100.

For the "new" BE members, Darrell is The 9mm Accurate Guy - listen carefully when he speaks    :bow:

20 hours ago, Darrell said:

9mm bullets have to be pushed fast to get great accuracy. Most people are trying to find an accurate load that will make a certain power factor, and be soft shooting. Hence is why they tried Solo 1000, N320, Tightgroup, etc. For truly accurate 9mm you have to use powders like N330/340, Power Pistol, and Accurate #7. A 115 gr JHP will be over 1200 fps, and a 124 over 1100. Look at the bullseye forum and you will see what they are using to get 1.5" groups at 50 yds in custom bullseye guns. One load that comes to mind is 115 Nosler or XTP at 1.08" oal, behind 4.8-5.0 of N330 or N340. 6.2 gr of power pistol works too.

Darrell do you think twist rate can have much effect on any of these factors?

20 hours ago, Darrell said:

I get great accuracy from Silhouette and True Blue.  Both are in the burn range that you mention.  115 xtreme at 1175