Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Safariland 578 Pro Fit Holster

anonymouscuban

So I've been shopping for a OWB holster for my CZ 75 SP-01. Its the standard variant. I've narrowed it down to the Safariland 578 Pro Fit.

I will use this holster for shooting Production. I'm planning for my first match in July.

My question is should I buy a different attachment system than the paddle it comes with? If so, what do you recommend?

Initially I plan on using a stiff leather belt that about 2" wide.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That will work if you are just starting and want to get your feet wet and see what the sport is all about. Add a couple of Uncle Mikes dual mag pouches and start playing. If you stick with it you will eventually want to upgrade to a inner / outer belt system and individual mag pouches. At that time you will want to lose the paddle and mount the holster with the Safariland USPSA kit or Stoeger's BOSS hanger. Don't worry about the equipment race for now, it won't make you any better. Just go out and practice and play.

I use paddle holsters almost exclusively at work and Safariland's paddle is my favorite.  The way it locks onto the belt is very secure.  The downfall is that is keeps the pistol pretty high and tight to the body.  While great for concealed carry, it's less than ideal for a fast draw.  

15 minutes ago, JWBaldree said:

That will work if you are just starting and want to get your feet wet and see what the sport is all about. Add a couple of Uncle Mikes dual mag pouches and start playing. If you stick with it you will eventually want to upgrade to a inner / outer belt system and individual mag pouches. At that time you will want to lose the paddle and mount the holster with the Safariland USPSA kit or Stoeger's BOSS hanger. Don't worry about the equipment race for now, it won't make you any better. Just go out and practice and play.

This was kind of my thinking. I don't want to have to buy twice but I also don't want to shell out a bunch of cash, for higher end equipment, and then end up not really pursuing competition shooting in the long run. I also know that my skill is going to be what limits me for a while, not the gear. 

BTW, I'm glad you mentioned the mag pouches because that's my next purchase and I wasn't sure if I should spend a bit more on those or buy Uncle Mikes.

5 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I use paddle holsters almost exclusively at work and Safariland's paddle is my favorite.  The way it locks onto the belt is very secure.  The downfall is that is keeps the pistol pretty high and tight to the body.  While great for concealed carry, it's less than ideal for a fast draw.  

Good to know. I've never worn a holster but was able to intuit that the paddle would make the gun sit higher than the other hangers. Glad to hear it's comfortable.