Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the go-to all-around shotshell load in 3 gun?

BoyGlock

My very limited knowledge, options and time make me ask this to shorten my learning process in this new game of mine. Im also into reloading shotshells and the softest load I got so far thats reliable in my shotgun is 7/8 oz of #6 leadshot at about 1,140 fps. Im gonna try 7.1/2 next if I find a source. Wondering whats the favorite among experienced 3 gunners here?

eta. I know most dont reload shotshells so factory loads are qualified. Just want to have an idea whats preferred. 

Edited by BoyGlock

I would say it really depends on WHAT your shotgun is. Inertia types like my benelli seem to need hotter loads, gas guns when properly setup can run lower velocity/ shot weight. Use what YOUR shotgun likes. I don't cut much off the corners, I have been using cheap winchester three gun, 1180 ft/s, 1 1/8 shot, 7.5 all day long. Even tho it's the same stuff you grab at walmart and everyone says doesn't run in their guns. 

the light side is 7/8 oz, middle is 1.0 oz and 1 1/8 is on the heavy side all assuming about 1200 ft /s. More than 1 1/8 @ 1200 is what I would call excessive unless you have a reason.

Some people also change loads to alter for target distance, too much thought. Choke it down or up as needed. LM is my new standard (tighter from my old standard IC)

Edited by PaladinPrecision

My gun is Win SX3 gas semi and runs on 7/8 #6 leadshots at 1,140 fps. Very soft shooting but i need to test further if it could reliably fell all SG targets in 3g at reasonable distances say 25y and under. I intend to try 7/8 #7-1/2 at same or a bit faster velocity w/c they say to be softer than my soft #6. But it must also be reliable in felling 3g targets. My criteria in equal order of importance are reliability, pattern/power, min. recoil. 

And Paladin, I like your idea of choking up or down instead of changing loads. 

I have used 3/4 oz 12ga loads it will work. Found that I can shop around and get factory 1 1/8 for less than reloads. With 3/4 and light 7/8 felt like I was waiting on the gun to cycle. You wont relay notice the difference in recoil on the clock.

1 1/8oz of #7.5 shot is pretty much the standard 3Gun load. Yes, lighter loads work fine on stages with close clays and such, but if you want a single, do-all load, it would the aforementioned shot size and amount at around 1200fps.

I have used 1.25oz #6 shot at around 1400fps in certain situations.

I have used 26g #8 @ 900fps in some situations.

I would never go to a match with just either of those however...

Edited by wgj3

On 4/27/2017 at 1:16 AM, bushmeat said:

Boy Glock, since you already had #6 shot, just up it to 1oz and 1200 fps and you should be good to go.

Just loaded 1oz 7-1/2 that chronoed 1,214fps. Would it be any different to use #6 instead? 

Ran that load on 10 steel plates at 15y and fell every plate with authority while felt recoil and muzzle flip are lesser than armscor factoty 1-1/8 #7 lead shots at chronoed 1,800 fps in same gun. 

Eta. Choke was IC. 

Edited by BoyGlock

Wow, Armscor 1-1/8 #7s are 1800fps?! I would love to be able to get that here.

Boy Glock, if you run the same weight of #6s instead of #7.5s you get more energy on the target. Generally, the heavier shot patterns tighter for a given choke. So, instead of switching out chokes for a different array of type of target, you could choose to use different shot.

In the Philippines, where you're mostly running 3Gun Nation rules, there's probably more uniform type targets and presentations.

In the US, there's quite a variation since most clubs are on outlaw rules. I've shot at steel pipe targets on big stands that take 3 shots to fall running full choke and Win AA 1300fps #7.5s. So, it's good to go matches with a box of Prairie Storms or 3" shells.

12 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

Never used a prairie storm or a 3" shell in a 3gun match... Never needed one either.

I've never needed prairie storm either, but I sure as hell have shaved a couple seconds off a stage using it, so it's worth it to me to have a box on hand. Everything else gets 1-1/8oz 7.5 or 8 shot around 1150fps, no need to over think it, just change chokes if needed. I've had a lot of guys explain in great detail the specifics of a certain load and how it's going to be a game changer on a target or stage only to have them miss the target 4 times. My theory is that people who spend all day crunching numbers in their reloading room don't have any time left to practice. Moral of the story: pick a load that's already working for everybody else then shoot the hell out of it in practice. 

2 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Moral of the story: pick a load that's already working for everybody else then shoot the hell out of it in practice. 

Now this is the game changer for me. 

Im gonna test the 1oz handload I picked in a local match this weekend and prove to myself it has enough power for the game at hand. Have an IC LM M chokes to work with. Then its practice practice practice!

Edited by BoyGlock

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Now you're talking. I would also recommend adding a cylinder choke to your arsenal.

If you dont already have a Cylinder, skip it and get a diffusion. MOAR BETTER!

• 2 weeks later...

Shot and finished the 5 stage 3g match with the 1oz 7-1/2 1,200fps load. Very pleased with its performance. The only problem was some did not feed reliably with my speedloader sticks. The culprit was the crimp was not as good as factory. It snagged on the mag tube mouth. Anyway its another topic. 

My go-to load as of now is this load. It may change in the days to come as I learn this game. 

• 5 weeks later...

little off topic... in one of the North Carolina Tactical or early Ft Benning matches Kurt Miller suggested using a light modified choke in my 21" guns... it has been loc tited in since... works great with 7/8oz Fiocchi Aero slugs as well as 1oz Federal premium slugs... my standard load for my M1S90 is 3dram 1 1/8oz  #7.5... AA for big match, Federal promo for most anything else, including sporting clays

Edited by Les Snyder