Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I was at a local shoot this weekend that happened to be a pro shooters home club, and he happened to be there this weekend. Normally I would have spent most of my time watching him to see what tricks I could pick up on. But this guy was a little (OK, a lot) on the arrogant side. He spent most of his day walking from stage to stage calling out people for things the RO's didn't seem to have a problem with. It almost seemed like he just liked to hear himself talk and to try and push his weight around because he was a "pro circuit shooter". Anyway my question is, when he was moving from stage to stage checking on everyone else he would take off his belt with his handgun still in the holster and throw it over his shoulder. Is it OK to remove your rig with your gun still holstered? I don't know the rules in 3 Gun too well yet but in USPSA they frown on things like that. So should someone have called him out on that?

I've seen people remove their holster with the pistol in it, and bag it. (ELS System). I've never seen or heard of tossing your belt over your shoulder with the pistol in the holster being "Okay".  But, I'm just a lowly old guy not some "Pro" shooter.

1 hour ago, Dan Sierpina said:

I've never seen or heard of tossing your belt over your shoulder with the pistol in the holster being "Okay".  But, I'm just a lowly old guy not some "Pro" shooter.

50 minutes ago, Tmcfarland said:

Not over the shoulder and walking around with it, everywhere I have shot this would have gotten you asked to leave.

That's what I thought. It's not nice to say, but I wish someone would have asked him to leave. There was a few new shooters there that he left a bad taste in their mouths, I'm not sure that they will ever want to come back. I didn't feel that it was not my place to say something to him because I'm not a pro ether, I'm just a guy that likes to shoot and make new friends.

That's what I thought. It's not nice to say, but I wish someone would have asked him to leave. There was a few new shooters there that he left a bad taste in their mouths, I'm not sure that they will ever want to come back. I didn't feel that it was not my place to say something to him because I'm not a pro ether, I'm just a guy that likes to shoot and make new friends.

You probably wasn't the only one that felt that way but I see it as safety is safety, either it is ok or not. I am not 100% on all the rules but have been put into situations where I was forced to DQ someone by a simple unsafe act but he came back and thanked me for doing it. It is easy to fall into complacency, just a couple of weeks ago I was reminded by a brand new shooter not to have my finger on the trigger when reloading...it just happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guy sounds like a real role model.   And who was taping his targets while he was sharing his attitude with the little people?

Very few pros (or top club shooters) behave so poorly.  But those that do will not change.  A lost cause.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

That is a DQ offense at any match using USPSA rules. I would suggest you ask the Match Director what rules he is using, and whether such behavior is acceptable at his match.

As a general piece of advice in this sport, don't be in too much of a hurry to hero worship the "pros" - just because they wear a shirt with logos on it does not make them a person to look up to or an example to follow. As the old saying goes, "he puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us". Sponsors want to be represented by shooters who present a positive brand image more so than just winning matches... if this guy leaves a bad taste in your mouth, he is doing his sponsors a disservice and that might be something you'd care to share with them on their Facebook page.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

3 hours ago, Tmcfarland said:

You probably wasn't the only one that felt that way but I see it as safety is safety, either it is ok or not.

I agree that safety is important. There was an older guy there and this was his first 3 Gun shoot, when he had a FTF he had his finger on the trigger when he was trying to clear it. The RO said stop, placed his hand on the guys shoulder leaned into him and explained what he was doing wrong. I thought was a better way of handling the situation then the pro standing in the back yelling "FINGER.... FINGER" for everyone to hear. After seeing the look of shame on the guys face, I'd be surprised if he wants to come back which is too bad because he was actually pretty good and a really nice guy.

2 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

if this guy leaves a bad taste in your mouth, he is doing his sponsors a disservice and that might be something you'd care to share with them on their Facebook page.

I did take notice of the sponsors on his shirt and I have to admit, I'm not in a hurry to buy any of their products. But I don't know if I want to make too many waves and mention anyone's name on a Facebook page. Chances are I'll run into him again and I just want to have a good time when I'm there, I don't need any drama. Or maybe if I see him doing it again I'll just lean into to him and politely explain to him that he could get a DQ for doing that.

Edited by blacklab

17 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Or maybe if I see him doing it again I'll just lean into to him and politely explain to him that he could get a DQ for doing that.

Peanut galleries annoy me too but what rule would you use to DQ somebody for yelling FINGER?

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

Peanut galleries annoy me too but what rule would you use to DQ somebody for yelling FINGER?

Sorry.....I was talking about if I seen him carrying his belt on his shoulder with his gun still in it. I should have been a little more clear on that. But in reality I would probably just keep my mouth shut and let the officials handle it.

17 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Just because someone is wearing a shirt that looks like a Nascar fender, doesn't make him sponsored, nor  a "Pro

Trust me, he let everyone know he was shooting the pro circuit and how his sponsors were sending him all over the country.

Edited by blacklab

It is not necessary for you to be the one to tell him it is a DQ... and it is probably best that you do not say anything directly to this "sort" of competitor in the situation you described above.  My recommendation, in this case, would be to immediately contact the Range Master or Match Director and tell them what you saw.  It is their job to follow up and address the issue.  Most RM's or MD's that I know would handle it without bringing their source of information into the discussion.

Edited by Rookie

• 6 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, Dan Sierpina said:

I've seen people remove their holster with the pistol in it, and bag it. (ELS System). I've never seen or heard of tossing your belt over your shoulder with the pistol in the holster being "Okay".  But, I'm just a lowly old guy not some "Pro" shooter.

At any USPSA match run with their that would be a DQ read the rule on what a gun bag is and it is not the holster