Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Shot Timer?

90lxracer

So..  I've tried getting apps for my phone, and nothing is really all that great as far as setting par times and getting thing that work well for even dry friing. 

With that being the case, I'm willing to buy a pocket timer.. but which one? I don't know a whole lot about them. Is there some manner of buyer's guide to those things? 

I'm researching the same topic.. and have had the same success (meaning, not much) with the phone based apps.  About the only good I have found for the phone based app is to have a PAR timer for dry fire practice at home.

I'm at the point where I'm considering 2 options, either the ShotMaxx-2 offered by Double Alpha, or the CED7000.  There are cheaper options, but from what I've seen - these are the two best options (I'm not looking for a budget buy here, FYI).  The ShotMaxx is a wrist-worn watch style timer, which has an ability to record shots from the recoil on your wrist - which can be useful if you are shooting at a busy range (especially an indoor range) where there are lots of shots being fired nearby.  The CED7000 has an advantage in that it is easily shared between 2 people training together at a range.  The CED7000 seems to be the more common, more proven solution in the market - which isn't a dig on the ShotMaxx but rather a comment to the proven nature of the CED7000.  As best as I can tell, neither offers an ability to transfer their data off the device in any electronic form (email, printing, bluetooth to app on phone, etc).  As part of my training, I am keeping written records of my performance and measuring progress  Apparently I'm in the minority in wanting this feature, the ShotMaxx-2 states they once had a bluetooth capabilitiy which they have removed because it was not commonly used.

I'm not an expert, and I could be incorrect in some of the above.. I'm open to clarifications and other insights!  

I prefer the Pocket Pro 2 for live fire and the CED 8000 for dry fire.  The CED 8000 has a headphone jack and repetitive feature, both of which work really well for dry fire.  I don't like it for live fire because it's bulky and the folding screen causes false shots sometimes.

I have the Shotmaxx 1 and the CED 7000. The 7000 is about 10 yrs old. It has been under water (don't ask...) 3 times (if I remember correctly) and just keeps going! It does it all for my purposes. I par time for dry fire, live fire at our local matches and delay beep for my live fire. I like that it will remember 10 (I think) strings.

The Shotmaxx is nice, especially when practicing alone. Handy. Gotta keep it charged tho or it starts acting weird. (no beep, won't record shots, etc) I have to wear it on my right wrist or it won't record all the shots. (I'm right handed) Makes it kind of awkward to use, but, I get bye. It won't remember any but your last string. Gotta write it all down if you want to remember. I know it will sync but it won't with my flip phone!

Doing it all again, I would buy a 2nd 7000 just to have a spare...

My pocket pro 2 has worked fine for months now with bunches of live fire and dry fire. I'd buy it again if I were to do it over but I don't have any experience with anything else to compare it to.

I went with the shotmaxx. Things I like about it:

Small form factor, I wear it when I'm at the range and it doesn't bother me in the least

It has a rechargeable battery. I put it on before leaving the house, so if it's low I plug it into the car to charge while I drive and it's good to go.

Stealth mode allows me to track performance for a match...if I can remember to activate before I start a stage.

Edited by Dutycalls75

I went with the shotmaxx.

I use that for matches -- in stealth mode.
I have the first gen with Bluetooth but that never worked consistently and ate up battery life.

For live fire, I'll use that if I'm alone or the range's timer when with others.

For dry fire, I use Practical Shooting Timer Pro on an iPhone. Add all of the drills with multiple par times, number of repetitions, works great with headphones, etc.

Most of my crew have either the CED 7000 or the Pocket Pro. The Pocket Pro is easier to work than the CED. Some guys like the PACT Club, but I don't care for the release timer. I also have an old RUREADY timer. I tend to use the CED 7000 the most, and have the backup battery plug in module for RO'ing all day. 

• 2 weeks later...
Can the pocket pro's volume be adjusted lower than the CED7000? Even on the low setting the CED7000 is still kinda loud. 

Yes. The pocket pro can go much lower than the CED7000. I have both, I like the CED for dry fire due to the size and how fast I can change par times, but I have the rubber case on it and put dense foam in front of the buzzer to quiet it down.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I've had most of the timers but recently picked up the Shotmaxx v2 for its adjustable sensitivity and volume. So far it has worked well picking up both airsoft and live fire. Beep volume also very adjustable with several different frequencies of beep. I hesitated to buy it reading about the v1 problems but v2 seems to be fine, 

4 hours ago, ecolyer325 said:

Yes. The pocket pro can go much lower than the CED7000. I have both, I like the CED for dry fire due to the size and how fast I can change par times, but I have the rubber case on it and put dense foam in front of the buzzer to quiet it down.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks! That was exactly what I wanted to know! I suppose I'll try to sell or trade my CED for a pocket pro.

In August I'll be moving into a small apartment for law school. I'd prefer not to be hated because I'm the guy who always has loud beeps followed by metal clangs coming from his place. 

5 minutes ago, WiII said:

Thanks! That was exactly what I wanted to know! I suppose I'll try to sell or trade my CED for a pocket pro.

In August I'll be moving into a small apartment for law school. I'd prefer not to be hated because I'm the guy who always has loud beeps followed by metal clangs coming from his place. 

The CED 8000 has a headphone jack.  That's what I use for dry fire when I don't want to piss off my wife in the next room.  But it's not worth a damn for live fire when you're timing yourself.  I use a Pocket Pro 2 for live fire.

Edited by TennJeep1618

Just now, TennJeep1618 said:

The CED 8000 has a headphone jack.  That's what I use for dry fire when I don't want to piss off my wife in the next room.  But it's not worth a damn for live fire when you're timing yourself.  I use a Pocket Pro 2 for live fire.

Thanks for the heads up on the 8000. I like the idea of being able to use a headset and it looks like a gameboy sp which is a plus I guess lol

On 4/25/2017 at 10:03 AM, 9x45 said:

Some guys like the PACT Club, but I don't care for the release timer. 

I despise the PACT Club release timer furiously.  I just can't use the damn thing.  Back when I was a safety officer in that other sport, the CSO on our stage wanted me to use it.  I tried for a couple shooters, then muttered a few expletives and changed to my own CED 700.   

Edited by M1911

I have a pocket pro, used the pact as well as the smaller CED units.  I prefer the ease of use on the pocket pro.  Although I have noticed that mine is slightly more muted than some of the others.