Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 trigger not resetting??? help please!

tha1000

A while back I had an issue an issue where if I kept the trigger pinned to the rear and cycled the slide, i would get hammer follow.  I remedied (or thought I remedied) by installing a new disconnector.

Fast forward to today, now if I pin the trigger to the rear and cycle the slide, it is not resetting.... trigger still moves freely and I have verified that it is not an issue with the overtravel screw. It resets properly if I am not holding the trigger to the rear or if i am resetting the trigger during recoil (as is my usual shooting method), but it happens every time if I use the "pin and reset" method, either via firing the gun or hand cycling the slide. I'm assuming it is either related to the disconnector or the sear spring or some combo of the both.

Any thoughts of things I can / should try?

That will be the first thing I monkey with, most likely.  I tweaked it some time ago, but it never gave me this issue.   Just looking for other ideas that could be causing this before I tear it down.

does it do this with the magazine in the gun?   check to see the bow is not touching the magazine tube.    

OR,

not enough "overtravel" in the set screw, as you push the trigger rearward, will let the trigger bow make contact with the disco.   your holding the disco, so it cannot move up and down.   when the slide goes forward the disco, should be pushed up by the sear spring and the trigger bow go forward but if trigger is going too far back and your holding it, the disco will not go up to catch the feet of the sear and keep the sear in place to catch the hammer hooks as the hammer goes forward with the slide.

you can see this if you reassemble the frame, without the thumb safety and grip safety.   now you can view what is happening as you rack the slide.    the trigger only has to move rearward, enough to push away the sear, maybe just a tab more, for clearance.    

JMO

3 minutes ago, kimberacp said:

does it do this with the magazine in the gun?   check to see the bow is not touching the magazine tube.    

OR,

not enough "overtravel" in the set screw, as you push the trigger rearward, will let the trigger bow make contact with the disco.   your holding the disco, so it cannot move up and down.   when the slide goes forward the disco, should be pushed up by the sear spring and the trigger bow go forward but if trigger is going too far back and your holding it, the disco will not go up to catch the feet of the sear and keep the sear in place to catch the hammer hooks as the hammer goes forward with the slide.

you can see this if you reassemble the frame, without the thumb safety and grip safety.   now you can view what is happening as you rack the slide.    the trigger only has to move rearward, enough to push away the sear, maybe just a tab more, for clearance.    

JMO

I'll check on the mag front at lunch.

I've read your second paragraph a couple of times and I'm having trouble tracking what you are saying.  I have backed the over travel screw out to allow more travel, are you saying I should go the other way with it to see if I am allowing too much over travel?

that is the problem,    it happen to me.    I read it here on the forum, what it was.   was guy found the answer in the colt gunsmith book by Kals"whatever" his name.

its called "sear binding"     your hold the disco, so it would move.

good luck