Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugging sig p320 barrel

DKnoch

As title says, has anybody slugged their barrel in a 9mm p320? I use coated .356 bullets, but it gets dirty using titegroup. Accuracy is fine for coated lead bullets. Just wondering if .357 bullets may be worth a try. I may just get some lead and slug my own barrel, just seeing if anyone else already has

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Haven't slugged a P320 but I shoot .357 diameter SNS bullets in all my Sigs including my daughters P320 Compact.

I was getting some leading from the .356's so I slugged my P226 and P229. @ .3555/.356. I quit using Titegroup and went to the .357's. My barrels are like mirrors now even after hundreds of rounds. 

Its all I buy in 9mm now. 

1 minute ago, bandw1dth said:

When I slugged my P320 barrel I just went to Wally Word and picked up a pack of lead sinkers and trimmed them to a size that would make pounding them through much easier than how they came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^  That's what I did to slug my Allround.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:58 AM, DKnoch said:

I use coated bullets, but it gets dirty using titegroup.

I found your problem.

Coated bullets plus titegroup is common. Usually accurate, and always soft. TG is easy to find, so the combination has it's merits.

But titegroup burns VERY hot and is very smoky and filthy behind a coated bullet. If you want a clean gun, you need to change powders, no matter what diameter bullet actually fits your barrel properly. Or stick with copper plated/jacketed ammo.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I think TG is OK with Ibejiheads coated bullets.  It gets dirty, but it doesn't leave lead in the barrel.  It was awful with Precision bullets - lots of leading.  I'll be trying it with Blue Bullets in the near future, but others in my club are already using that combo without issues. 

Seems several shooters are liking Prima V as a TG alternative:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/246706-p320-9mm-reloading-questions/#comment-2757520

Thanks for responses. I use blue bullets, and they shoot well and I don't get leading. I guess I'm not surprised that it's the titegroup making it so dirty. I have some power pistol and CFE pistol, but I have 8 lbs of titegroup..Maybe I'll get some plated bullets and try them with titegroup

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

WST is fantastic behind coated bullets. You'll find it to feel very very close to titegroup - some people say a pinch softer, some a bit snappier - without the mess.

I currently shoot Prima V because it was extrmely cheap and is soft, but PV does leave the gun pretty filthy inside. It's like a dirty N320 and at half the price I'm okay with that.

Two things you need to consider with coated:

Dirty powders and smoky powders aren't the same thing. PV is dirty but much less muzzle smoke than titegroup. WST is also better than titegroup with regard to smoke, because almost EVERYTHING smokes less than titegroup behind lead or coated bullets!

Powders produce different types of a mess in your gun. WST and PV leave a soot in the gun that cleans off easily with a shot of brake cleaner. It's just soot. TG leaves a baked-on carbon deposit that sometimes required scraping off the back of the barrel with a metal tool.

Edited by MemphisMechanic