Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Case feeder Questions.

I am just wondering if anyone is having the same issues I have in regards to the case feeder. While loading 9mm I tend to get a case try to go down the feed tube sideways. This causes the funnel to fill up at the top until a get hit in the head with a case and then turn it off to clear the jam. I have been told to slide out the metal tab and it will prevent this from happening but I can't seem to get it to work right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to get this now and again until I made sure my press and bench where as solidly mounted and stable as possible.  My guess is your case feeder is moving and swaying causing this.  Ensure your bench is rock solid and as little movement as possible.

I bet it goes away without the insert.  I think Dillon will tell you they have two different case feeder designs.  One is the old style that may require the insert and the newer one that does not.  I have the new one and after securing the bench, my problems went away.  Going on 20,000 loadings now.  (I keep track of these things ?)

molson

I used to get this now and again until I made sure my press and bench where as solidly mounted and stable as possible.  My guess is your case feeder is moving and swaying causing this.  Ensure your bench is rock solid and as little movement as possible.

I bet it goes away without the insert.  I think Dillon will tell you they have two different case feeder designs.  One is the old style that may require the insert and the newer one that does not.  I have the new one and after securing the bench, my problems went away.  Going on 20,000 loadings now.  (I keep track of these things [emoji3])

molson

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I thought my bench was pretty secure but I will have to re-evaluation that. Going to try to use the press tonight so I'll follow up on this.

I have a 550 w/case feeder and I would have this problem from time to time loading 9mm.

Then I  beefed up my bench and got the case feeder and press movement totally eliminated

and haven't any problems since. Don't know if this could be your issue, but it made all the

difference for me.

Been having the same issue in my 1050. Bench and press are rock solid but given the feeder arm is floating, wondering if anyone has added a spacer under it for more support or if it needs to float for proper function?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, took a course at TPC last weekend and met a great guy who works at Dillon while there. Apparently the trick to fix this is to order a AT500 funnel and install it as a pre-feed tube funnel (have to remove the front covers). It reduces the aperture and prevents the jamming and the following calisthenics. Going to order one myself and I can post results after.

I dont think Dillon supplies this any more.  I called them twice about this, and each time they were supposed to send me a new funnel, but never did.  Mine is new, Nov 2016 built.  My case feeder looks like Got2beshooting. 

I had this issue, but more frequently cases would jam up in the collet.  I put a piece of plastic to act as a wiper, and so far have had neither issue.

I'll put up a pic tonight. 

I must be a freak. I've never had that problem loading many thousands of 9mm and 38 super. In fact I even use the large case feed plate though they reccomend the small. 

My bench is fairly solid (big thick 3 inch solid timber top on steel frame) but it's not bolted to wall or floor. 

My press is not even on the 'strong' mount. It's not even bolted to the bench. It's bolted to a big piece of pine sleeper which is clamped to the bench with 2 F clamps. 

To make things worse it has a bullet feeder hanging off it which you'd think would make it sway more. 

But it being mounted to a solid board on solid bench helps a lot. 

I've never had the log jam/brass waterfall. 

I have had a case not drop and stop the disk when it got caught between disk and case feed wall. I'd say that happens once in about 10,000 cases. 

There are no extra wipers or add ons and I haven't had to close down the opening size. It just works. I suspect ones that have this problem may be mounted slightly off axis or some manufacturing tolerance is out. 

I haven't the answer either. I have 3 case feeders and the 2 on my presses are on a solidly mounted bench - no wiggle. They run 100% for the 9, 40 and 223 calibers that I load. The case feeder for my Case Pro is not mounted as solid and has a little bit of wiggle. I've been too lazy to stabilize it and it does what the op's post is about and only on 9 mm and only on rare occasion - but enough to be irritating. It has never done this on the other calibers I mentioned and I roll size everything, and have been through many thousands of rounds of each caliber. This inspires me to add support to the mount and retest but all my inventory is processed so it will be a while before I fire it up again.

On 6/2/2017 at 3:38 PM, jcoeng said:

Called them today and parts are in the mail. I'll try to post results after they arrive.

What parts are they sending you? Same thing happens to me when loading 9mm. 

39de1977dad24b1436b4db65db05d9a3.jpg

The loot showed up. Also got a cartridge retaining spring to replace the white plastic primer cover. Supposed to enable clearing the station easier slightly off topic but still valuable.

e97c157d1a15a7513dac071e760c6566.jpg

On 6/7/2017 at 9:00 PM, jcoeng said:

39de1977dad24b1436b4db65db05d9a3.jpg

The loot showed up. Also got a cartridge retaining spring to replace the white plastic primer cover. Supposed to enable clearing the station easier slightly off topic but still valuable.

e97c157d1a15a7513dac071e760c6566.jpg

The spring is a nice idea. I ordered one but did not like how it was working. I hope this works well for you. 

This option worked better for me. 

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=197&zenid=l6a03e7n9torn0ofdjfro3a2p3

FYI the funnel does not fit my newer 1050 case feeder. I had to trim it down a lot and with a little "redneck engineering" I got it to fit. I suspect it will eliminate bridged cases. 

Edited by GregJ

• 2 weeks later...