Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you live fire practice?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I'm retired so #1, I have more spare time than most others in our sport, and #2 I'm old and need to practice more than most in our sport just to keep up.

I tend to get more motivated if I'm preparing for a big match.  Right now I'm two weeks out from my first major shooting PCC so I'm getting a little more range time than usual.

Typically its once a week.  Weather permitting, I will be at the range 5 or 6 times this week and next.  The time on the range depends not on how long it takes me to shoot "X" number of rounds but what I decided to work on before I ever hit the range.  

i like to practice "cold" just like I would if I had just walked up to a stage. That takes more time.  I'll also set aside a little time to work on  a problem area. So I may be at the range several hours and only fire 150 to 250 rds.

I also maintain my 15 to 30 minutes of dryfire practice daily.

Then once the major matches are behind me, it will be down to once a week (or more if I just want to get away from the house).

Bill

Dang...I'm in deep poo!  LOL  I live fire maybe once a month, if I'm lucky, because I work full time, go to college full time and then do pro photography and CCDW/pistol training on the weekends when I can.  LOL!  So, sometimes I will get some live fire in after I have done the training with the students, but that's about it.  However, I did just join a Sportsman's Club/Range, so I'm hoping that means I will bump up my range time because now I can go whenever I want and not have to pay for range time and I also just got my reloading equipment.  I'm hoping with all of this I can start making a ton of rounds and go out and shoot whenever I want.

For those of you that are dry firing a bunch, are you using Snap Caps or anything?  Or just dry firing the gun as is?  I always hear stuff back and forth that dry firing is okay and then dry firing is bad unless you have Snap Caps or something in the gun for the firing pin to hit.  So, I can never tell what is okay and what isn't.  I'm always getting conflicting info.  The only thing I have heard "definitively" is do not dry fire a revolver that has the firing pin on the hammer because it can break it.  As for other firearms, I have no clue if it is okay to continuously dryfire or not.  If it matters, I'm going to be using a XDM 5.25" Competition in .40 S&W.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys do anything special for your dry firing?  Like Snap Caps or anything?  Or do you just do a regular dry fire with nothing in the mag or chamber?  What type of firearms?

Seems like everyone is posting up that they are doing a ton of dry firing (which makes sense and is good) and I just want to make sure that it is okay to do with my XDM 5.25".  I'd hate to do a ton of dry firing with it and then find out months later when something breaks or wears out then someone tells me that I shouldn't have been dry firing a striker fire without snap caps or something.

I shoot 2 matches per month, which is what I consider my live fire practice. I might go shoot one other time per month if I need to test something or my wife wants to go out to shoot. Between 150-500 rounds depending on the match/practice session.

Dry fire most nights for 15-30 minutes.

I hit the range at least once a week.  I would only shoot 50-100 rounds of 9mm.  I just picked up one of those laser trainers, and I have one of those Ben Stoeger scaled target packs for dry fire practice, Now that my grip is tuned pretty well, I think I just need to practice my trigger control, so I am live-firing less these days (used to be 2-3 times a week).

21 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

Do you guys do anything special for your dry firing?  Like Snap Caps or anything?  Or do you just do a regular dry fire with nothing in the mag or chamber?  What type of firearms?

Seems like everyone is posting up that they are doing a ton of dry firing (which makes sense and is good) and I just want to make sure that it is okay to do with my XDM 5.25".  I'd hate to do a ton of dry firing with it and then find out months later when something breaks or wears out then someone tells me that I shouldn't have been dry firing a striker fire without snap caps or something.

On striker fired guns, the firing pin is flat in the front, so its cool to dry fire those no worries.  On hammer fired guns (like my CZ), I destroyed my firing pin retainer.  sheared straight through.  I fixed it with CGW parts.  Now every time I dry fire, I throw a A-zoom 9mm snap cap in the CZ. 

Practice 2x a week usually and 1 club match a week.

1 time by myself to work on actual things.

1 time with a group of folks where I tend to run the timer and set things up a lot and not get anything useful done for myself.

I typically shoot one club match a weekend as well.

Dry fire 5-6 days a week 30 minutes to 1 hour a day.  Try to live fire at least once a week.  Shooting 200-500 rounds usually.  

Problem with live fire is making it purposeful practice and not just time at the range.  Moving towards a system of dry firing standards type work, gun handling and stuff like that.  And then split live fire between accuracy/trigger control/shot calling work and a mini stage.  So for live fire the plan is to run a drill such as dots, 20+ yard bill drills, call it and leave it, accelerator and plate rack type stuff.  Then have a mini stage to work on movement, entry/exit and transitions.  

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

30,000+ rounds/year ?    :ph34r:

1.  Are you a M or GM?

2.  How often do you wear out your gun(s) ?

I go through a revolver about every year or two. I just started shooting an auto, Ruger Mark IV 22/45 and  I've really been shooting it.  Hope it holds up but if not it's not too expensive to replace.

I'm getting  back to shooting after a long layoff from illness.  I joined a local indoor range and I'm getting my money's worth.

Since I'm retired it's the only activity I do these days.

Years ago I was a M class shooter with Revolver and Auto.  Today I'm a B.  Should have never requested a downgrade.  It's not winning that matters, It's trying to improve and shooting with my friends.  I had to give up USPSA and ICORE because I can't maneuver my wheelchair on the rocky ranges out here.  I relegate myself to only one match a month and that's SCSA.

Edited by AzShooter