Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My P-09 Mod results.

shoots100

It's been awhile since I've done the advised Mods to my P09 and I wanted to share my results.

I shot a thousand rounds through it un modified, so I could have a good understanding of the differences before and after the mods.

I've shot it in steel plate matches and a lot of hard use training, and it has roughly 5K (+/- a thousand) down pipe after the mods were performed.

All parts were around $220 shipped to the prison state of NY.

Parts used ;

CGW;

15# recoil spring

15# Hammer spring

Ext firing + Retainer pins

S/S Guide rod

FO front sight

Dawson;

FO Rear sight

Talon;

Grips (Sand)

The pistol has been very reliable with all primers tried (Fed, CCI, Win, Rem, Unix ).

I've had no issues with factory or reloaded 115 grain Ammo, except the longer OAL rounds and some coated bullets in 125 + 147 grain offerings.

Tight chamber and the expense of the proprietary magazines are the two issues I have with the 09.

To solve the Magazine expense, I bought another 09 and now have plenty of magazines at hand.

I just ordered a Manson finishing reamer to hopefully solve the Ammo issue. I'll post the results, good or bad.

I have no issues with most 9mm pistols functioning with 99% of the factory and reloaded ammo out there, so I want my 09's to do the same.

All in All, I'm very pleased with My 09's and am also very appreciative of the advice given here for the modifications that actually work and are reliable too.

You will find that the barrel is harder than the reamer material unless you were specific that you were reaming a Tenifer treated barrel. The P09/07 barrels are diamond hard and will most likely ruin your reamer. P09/07 in general do not have a tight chamber but they do have a short throat. A throating reamer would be more appropriate except for the factory metal finish. There are some gunsmiths who can do the throating on these barrels but the last time I spoke with Dave Manson he was not offering reamers that would work with these hard finished barrels, that may have changed.

Beyond the throating issue CGW's Short reset kit along with their excellent Race hammer and over sized roller transform a P09 to a totally different gun. If you haven't installed David's action kit in your gun you are really missing out on what it could become. The improvement is dramatic. Good luck with your project and Happy Easter!

I've heard that the 07/09 barrels are harder than other CZ models, but I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work, I'll return the reamer and send them out to be reamed.

I wanted to do the mods that were very easy to do, that a casual shooter looking to get into steel shooting would be able to accomplish.

It took me an half hour to do the mods and another hour to chamfer the mag well and install the talon grip.

I left one of my 09's factory so I could compare them, and am very happy with the results of what a minimum of replaced parts and some polishing can do.

I have other shooters in my circle with heavily modified CZ's. My trigger is just as nice, but I'm thinking of adding a short reset kit.

Maybe after another couple thousand rounds I might do it.

No pics. Look on U tube.

I used a dremel to chamfer the magwell a bit.

Coarse to fine grit on slow speed, just enough to take the sharp edges off and keep it legal for production class.

I'll return the reamer and I sent an E mail out to Matt Cheely to see if he'll do the work.

Thanks for the advice, Again !

• 2 weeks later...

No deal with Patriot defense either, but I did find a smith in North Carolina that did a beautiful looking job on my barrels.

Throated, Crowned, Polished and at my doorstep in under a weeks time.

Now even my 147 subsonic revolver rounds fit in the chamber.

All I need to do is to get it to the range to see how it shoots.