Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite 9mm Loads

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite PCC load is 147 gr X-treme RN plated bullets over 3.0 gr VV N-320 powder loaded to 1.085" OAL.  The PF = 132.  Very soft shooting and accurate to 50 yards (furthest tested).  A bit on the quiet side.  I had to install a cheap Miculek style compensator to drive enough noise back to the timer to eliminate reshoots.  This load will not cycle the slide on my G17 or G34.

A new load I'm playing with that shows promise is 125 gr Blue Bullet RN over 3.5 gr VV N-320 loaded to 1.105" OAL. I've not run these over the chrono but would venture they are a little hotter than the X-treme load.

I'm running a PSA 16" barrel that requires I load the bullets very short so the bullet is not touching the rifling.

Bill

I don't really change powders much any more... have been satisfied with Win Super Field (WSF) for my 9mm G34, so when I started with the PCC reduced my pistol loading to just make minor with a little fudge factor... 3.6 and a 135 Bayou coated gives me around 146pf with the PCC and 130 pf with the G34...occasionally use a Precision Delta 147 fmj... runs well in the 16" and 10.5" SBR... can't remember the power factor... old age CRS

Edited by Les Snyder

I started with Winchester white box 115. I worked up a load with vvn340 & 147 gr blue bullet. Makes about 133 power factor in my 2011. Also trying titegroup but it's dirty on light loads. 147 grain on the plate rack at 100 takes them down easily.

Flatland... my PSA 16" had a short leade area also... the nitrided finish is pretty tough, and had to use a lathe to get enough force to get the cutter to work well... I typically can use the "T" handle and cut most barrels by hand... I can now use 1.130 oal Bayou coated... the 147 Precision Delta fmj would work without throating...

My current load for a Wilson 16" fluted barrel (shorter throat) 

135 FP Xtream  ( I used these differentiate between my pistol (HP) and my wife's loads RN easily)

1.13 OAL

3.7 of Auto comp

AVG Velocity 998. -  134 PF

I have some loads worked up at 3.4  which I need to function test and chrono should put them at 125PF. 

Edited by HMFIC03

I'm shooting 4.5 grains of WSF and a 110gr Winchester JHP .357 diameter bullet. They are absolute tack drivers and very soft shooting. They have a cannelure because it's a revolver bullet but just ignore it. 

4 hours ago, A78729 said:

i see almost all of you are providing minor type recipes. Has anyone tried and Major type loads maybe to avoid any cycling issues or more gas for the comp???

I think the consensus is 9major is too hard on the blowback gun

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I think the consensus is 9major is too hard on the blowback gun

That and it still doesn't work the comp much so the dot moves more. There's no benefit from loading to major. If there was people would do it. 

Hello: I tried major loads a while ago but the recoil causes a lot of dot movement since you have to use heavier buffer springs and buffer setups. Play with bullet weight, buffer weights and buffer spring rates with 131-137PF loads. You will see much better recoil management with that. Thanks, Eric

I never considered running 9 Major loads.  I run a PSA PCC for Glock magazines.  When chambered, the 9mm round has close to 0.200" of unsupported brass.  Not a good idea for hot loads.

When I first got my PCC I tried out the loads I use in my Glock 17 and 34.  Both ran near 135 PF.  In the PCC it was just over 147 PF and had more recoil and muzzle movement than my ,223 with match loads.

As indicated on my April 16th post of this thread, I've settled on 147 gr RN plated bullets over 3.0 gr N320 loaded 1.085" long.  PF = 132.  Very little recoil or dot movement but runs dirty.  Plenty accurate out of my gun at 50 yards.

I do experiment with different bullets and powders as I have time.  And I did install a cheap Miculek style compensator to the gun.  It has done nothing to change the little bit of dot movement my gun has, but then that was not the reason it was installed.  My load shot so quietly that I was plagued with re-shoots.  Adding the comp solved that problem.

After some trigger problems (due to too heavy a system) I replaced the .308 recoil spring that came with the gun from the factory with a .223 carbine spring.  Solved the problems and did not increase dot movement by much.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Been running 2-loads.

147gr BB with 3.4gr Titegroup @1.12 OAL.  Same load as my sons Limited DVC. Works very well, soft, dot movement and recoil is minimal. Ran out of these for a LVL II match so I went to my other load.

98gr Eggleston with 3.1 Titegroup for steel. Works good very soft. Shot a level II match so with a chrono bumped it up to meet minor. 4.4gr Titegroup runs the 98gr to about 1350FPS. Made minor PF with no problem, freaked the chrono guy out. He had never seen a .380 bullet used. Funny thing is you really can't tell the difference in recoil or dot movement. Had a hard time getting the PCC to register correctly on the radar. First run showed only 890FPS and I kind of freaked. Told him no way that was right. He adjusted where he held the gun and next 3 were right there 1350-1370FPS.

Interesting thing was my load @ 4.4grs was almost 70FPS slower than my buddies load of @ 4.1grs using the same bullets out of his CZ Scorpion. I am running a JP barrel. We chroned at the same time. He was well over 1400fps.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
3 hours ago, gerritm said:

Been running 2-loads.

147gr BB with 4.4gr Titegroup @1.12 OAL.  Same load as my sons Limited DVC. Works very well, soft, dot movement and recoil is minimal. Ran out of these for a LVL II match so I went to my other load.

98gr Eggleston with 3.1 Titegroup for steel. Works good very soft. Shot a level II match so with a chrono bumped it up to meet minor. 4.4gr Titegroup runs the 98gr to about 1350FPS. Made minor PF with no problem, freaked the chrono guy out. He had never seen a .380 bullet used. Funny thing is you really can't tell the difference in recoil or dot movement. Had a hard time getting the PCC to register correctly on the radar. First run showed only 890FPS and I kind of freaked. Told him no way that was right. He adjusted where he held the gun and next 3 were right there 1350-1370FPS.

Interesting thing was my load @ 4.4grs was almost 70FPS slower than my buddies load of @ 4.1grs using the same bullets out of his CZ Scorpion. I am running a JP barrel. We chroned at the same time. He was well over 1400fps.

gerritm

4.4 Titegroup with 147 sounds like a full grain too heavy. Are you sure it isn't 3.4?

3 hours ago, gerritm said:

Both of my JP barrels are .3565" diameter. If I run bullets less than .357" diameter, I get significantly less velocity compared to the same bullet in my YHM barrel which is .3545" diameter. I suspect you lose a little pressure from the bullet not sealing the barrel efficiently and that affects your velocity.

21 minutes ago, fastluck13 said:

4.4 Titegroup with 147 sounds like a full grain too heavy. Are you sure it isn't 3.4?

Yes, 3.4 gr Titegroup on the 147's. 4.4 on the 98gr.

Thanks, Gerrit

10 minutes ago, gatortommy said:

Both of my JP barrels are .3565" diameter. If I run bullets less than .357" diameter, I get significantly less velocity compared to the same bullet in my YHM barrel which is .3545" diameter. I suspect you lose a little pressure from the bullet not sealing the barrel efficiently and that affects your velocity.

Has anyone else slugged there JP barrels? My rifle also shoots .357 Dia. Bullets better.  

I have a PSA upper but it seems to not like normal lengths. My regular loads are 1.130, I tried 1.120 and it's still catches the rifling. It's hard to cycle the chambered round. Anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk