Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited to open. Costa comp carry

Drbruce

I am a limited/3 gun shooter.  I been thinking of trying open (i am 51 and I know the day is coming when I can not see the sights) and have tried just a few.  Because of shooting limiting so long when I throw up a open gun I can not see the dot -- it is too high.  I would like a lower sight pic if you will and I would not see me giving up tac ops 3 gun any time soon.   So here are my main questions  1 Slide mounted red dots seem to allow a lower option.  Does the slide movement ready make big difference vs frame mounted dots?  experienced people with both please reply.  2  I am intrigued with the new Sti Costa carry comp.  I could put a slide mounted dot on it and all my equipment  (Ie holsters mags etc) would be interchangable  Do you think the comp would be effective?  it is small.  Barrel is also  short,  4.15 in I think.  ANd i do not reload currently so it would take factory ammo. Thx

1. Sounds like you don't dry fire. You should. 

2. Slide ride sucks compared to frame mounted

3. Get a DPP or RTS2 and it will be low

4. That comp probably sucks balls. 

5. Not reloading is a big issue

6. Sounds like carrry optics is

yoir best bet. 

Edited by ShortBus

Frame mounting is the most secure, but it results in a high dot.  Slide mounting is fine as long as you thoroughly Loctite everything.  My oldest Burris FF3 was mounted in a dovetail mount on a 1911 45.  It saw 40,000 rounds before the little piece of plastic covering the LED broke.  The dot still worked fine.

On my latest 1911 build I had the slide lightened and the rear of the slide cut away just like it was an Open gun.  I mount a C-More RTS2 v4 dot on it and the dot is very low.  It is higher than where iron sights would be, but not by much.  It works well.

I do dry fire but I don't have an open gun to dry fire with.  I have extra limited guns and i could convert one.  I don't currently have time to devote to reloading so factory ammo will have to do for now. At factory loading do the comps do much?  Not really interested in optic carry as I like the single action trigger. I have a hand injury in my off hand were my pinky, ring finger , and next finger do't have much strength in them so recoil is a bigger deal to me than most..

1 hour ago, Drbruce said:

I do dry fire but I don't have an open gun to dry fire with.  I have extra limited guns and i could convert one.  I don't currently have time to devote to reloading so factory ammo will have to do for now. At factory loading do the comps do much?  Not really interested in optic carry as I like the single action trigger. I have a hand injury in my off hand were my pinky, ring finger , and next finger do't have much strength in them so recoil is a bigger deal to me than most..

If you aren't reloading perhaps a CO set up is the best way to go. 

I dont think factory ammo is gonna be worth the hassle in a real open gun. And the "sort of" comped guns like a G17C it really is worthless. I don't know anything about the costa carry comp but it's probably as useful as a "hybrid" mountain bike. Tacticool though. 

A buddy of mine is manufacturing a new design dovetail mount for micro dots, so after making fun of WO for the last year I'm shooting one. I gotta tell you, it seems like a great solution to needing a dot without all the other costs. And now that it is its own division you are guaranteed a "top five" finish in nearly any match you shoot ?

5 minutes ago, Drbruce said:

right , the major/minor power factor thing really screws it up for me.  I have thought of fixing a co gun for home defense but not that  excited about that division for me in competetion.  

Understandable. 

Well you have one option. Go full retard. I mean full open. Lots of viable routes to pick up a decent 2011 open gun. Not reloading is you main problem then. Perhaps you have a buddy who reloads who can help you out. 

Major 9/38 Ammo seems pretty dang expensive otherwise. 

You mentioned an injury which compromises your grip strength. Not a big deal with a legit open gun as they recoil back, not up. 

If I were you:

buy sig 320, have slide milled for DPP and trigger job done (very short crips 2.5lbs trigger). 

Buy base pads to make them 140mm. Buy shooters connection or DAA belt, stoeger BOSS, ghost 360 or racer pouches, blade tech shell. Proceed to hosing. 

I just got my M&P9 Performance Center ported 4.25" all put together and ran it in a 3 gun match. Pretty easy adding a low mount dot to the mix, I usually reload, but was short so I ran Blazer brass 115gr. Shot really flat surprisingly. It wasn't too bad adjusting to the dot (Vortex Viper 6MOA) since I treated it like an irons gun on the presentation. The high suppressor sights made a big difference in finding the dot (I'm also a tad younger and my eyes are still kinda working).

Planning on dipping the toes in Open minor in USPSA shortly.

Edited by KampKustoms

Unfortunately everything you want/like is not good for Open.  I just made the change from Limited to OPen.  The learning curve is steep.  I always thought that open was easy.  Not so much.  The dot height you will get used to.  Not much dry fire and I was able to pick it right up.  My gun uses a Cheely mount with an RTS2.  The reloading part is your biggest hurdle.  I believe that Atlanta Arms sells 9mm major ammo.  I have never tried it.  

see few if any open guns in .40, guessing mostly due to mag capacity and giving up a few rounds vs 38/9.  seriously check out the trubor at brazos, good gun and great entry price.  or just stick with carry optics and shooting low recoiling and cheap as you can get factory 9mm ammo.  hey even better, get a PCC, with an entry point well below a decent Limited or Open gun, cheap glock mags and yes cheap 9mm ammo and almost zero recoil.

I can only back up what the others said. Get a 'conventional' 2011 open gun. 

Given your hand issues and lack of reloading id go for a 9mm trubor or similar and set it up to run factory 115gn minor. Winchester white box fmjs should make minor and though not really working the comp they will be soft to shoot. 

A 9mm 2011 open with 6lb spring should run 115gn factory no prob. Just make sure it's up around 1150fps to ensure you make minor. A's are still 5 points and misses still cost you minus 10. So while minor is a disadvantage shooting a costa or some 40 I think is worse. 

I can only back up what the others said. Get a 'conventional' 2011 open gun. 

Given your hand issues and lack of reloading id go for a 9mm trubor or similar and set it up to run factory 115gn minor. Winchester white box fmjs should make minor and though not really working the comp they will be soft to shoot. 

A 9mm 2011 open with 6lb spring should run 115gn factory no prob. Just make sure it's up around 1150fps to ensure you make minor. A's are still 5 points and misses still cost you minus 10. So while minor is a disadvantage shooting a costa or some 40 I think is worse. 

A 40 open gat is not even in the same league as shooting minor. Giving up 2 rounds vs giving away points for every Charlie? Not even comparable.

A 40 open gun is a fine choice if you absolutely refuse to reload and never will. But seriously, do what everyone else is saying, but a press and a .355 caliber gun. Preferably a 9mm.

You could always do a 357sig open gun, factory ammo makes major and runs a comp excellent. If its a 2011 you get 28 rnds in the gun with the big stick and due to the necked down ammo it feeds reliable as hell.

32 minutes ago, 357SIG said:

You could always do a 357sig open gun, factory ammo makes major and runs a comp excellent. If its a 2011 you get 28 rnds in the gun with the big stick and due to the necked down ammo it feeds reliable as hell.

the prob with 357 sig (which i love for sd/hd) is it is pretty expensive (for factory loads) compared to 9 or 40 or anything else.  although i'm seeing some range ammo in the $300/1k range shipped now.  i did see though a couple of sti dvc limiteds in 357 sig on gunbroker that tempted me.

• 4 months later...

The punishment of a slide ride on a major PF open gun will decrease reliability of the sight.  

As an died in the wool limited guy I find the RTS2 on the Cheely Frame mount a very easy transition.

Atlanta Arms sells Major PF 38 Super/Supercomp and 9mm major that is excellent but not as good as rolling your own.

Open is expensive and Fun too shoot.

dcalvert

On 4/21/2017 at 11:36 AM, 357SIG said:

If its a 2011 you get 28 rnds in the gun with the big stick 

You can get 28rds .357sig in a big stick?  Since .357 sig is .40 necked down, then in all reality you could get 28rds of .40 in same mag?  WOW!  so if you can get 28 in it, same mag should hold maybe 32rds 9mm.  Whose mag & guts is it?