Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Minor Load for 180gr 40

teddym90

I'm switching back to a 1911 style gun AND I was using up some old Bullseye powder so I'm going to work up a new load for the new gun.  

Just wondering what folks run for a good minor load with their 40 using 180 grn bullets.  Any advice on spring weight with your favorite load?  Thanks!

3.5gr W231 with Acme 180gr TC @ 1.125" is about 133 PF in my 5.25" XDm - MUST use max 14 lb recoil spring for reliable operation with that load in that gun.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:

I use 3.2 gr titegroup, over a 180 gr Ibejiheads bullet. Getting 138 pf out of my custom Atlas 1911. Feels like I'm cheating when shooting minor.

Ha!  I shoot minor for 3-gun and Steel Challenge and bump it up to major for USPSA.  And I have really been sucking it up trying to shoot open sights and a striker fired gun all for the first time.  I'm really hoping moving back to the 1911 style platform helps quite a bit.  I don't really want to jump in to the Unlimited/Open group in 3-gun!

My wife's 2 cents. She shoots 3.3gr under 180gr Blue Bullets at 1.180". Out of her Para Pro Custom 16.40 it comes in @ 134 PF. With an 11lb recoil spring and tool steel internals from the factory, it's super fast to manipulate and has a sub-2lb trigger that outshoots me in points every match. Super accurate and the TiteGroup gives a little snap that some other minor .40 loads lack and is 100% reliable. I'll admit, I steal her loads for Steel Challenge. 

Edited by resortboarder

43 minutes ago, resortboarder said:

My wife's 2 cents. She shoots 3.3gr under 180gr Blue Bullets at 1.180". Out of her Para Pro Custom 16.40 it comes in @ 134 PF. With an 11lb recoil spring and tool steel internals from the factory, it's super fast to manipulate and has a sub-2lb trigger that outshoots me in points every match. Super accurate and the TiteGroup gives a little snap that some other minor .40 loads lack and is 100% reliable. I'll admit, I steal her loads for Steel Challenge. 

That is the exact gun I've bought and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive!  Good to know about the load and the setup, thank you!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of trigger does she have in it?

Stock parts. The Para Pro Custom and Pro Comp (Single stack .40 that I compete with) both had quality internals from the factory. A quick stoning of the sear surface, 17lbs mainspring, 11lbs recoil spring, adjustment to the sear spring and a LOT of slide/frame lapping makes these a phenomenal LTD pistol. 

Check out some of my earlier posts. I like Dawson extended toolless base pads, but the Arredondo follower gave me issues. After a few thousand rounds, the stock springs fatigued. I went with MBX Para mags and love them, but later found STI 140mm mags run 100%, though the mag catch is slightly higher and feels a bit sloppy. They're a lot cheaper though and readily available 2nd hand here on Enos. 

2 minutes ago, resortboarder said:

Stock parts. The Para Pro Custom and Pro Comp (Single stack .40 that I compete with) both had quality internals from the factory. A quick stoning of the sear surface, 17lbs mainspring, 11lbs recoil spring, adjustment to the sear spring and a LOT of slide/frame lapping makes these a phenomenal LTD pistol. 

Check out some of my earlier posts. I like Dawson extended toolless base pads, but the Arredondo follower gave me issues. After a few thousand rounds, the stock springs fatigued. I went with MBX Para mags and love them, but later found STI 140mm mags run 100%, though the mag catch is slightly higher and feels a bit sloppy. They're a lot cheaper though and readily available 2nd hand here on Enos. 

Good to know, I'll take a look!  thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Do you want to try a newer powder? Try 180gr bullet with 3.0gr of Accurate Nitro 100 NF at 1.130 OAL. It's allot cleaner than Clays, and burns cooler than Titegroup. I can shoot a whole match and it barely dirties my gun. I get 740 fps/ 133PF with this load. 

56 minutes ago, jliew08 said:

Are y'all loading your minor loads shorter than your major loads?

My current load is 4.7gr N320 180gr Blue Bullet out to 1.185. 170pf

yes, 1.120 OAL in my stock 2. It works in my Benny Hill long slide also. 

2 hours ago, jliew08 said:

Are y'all loading your minor loads shorter than your major loads?

My current load is 4.7gr N320 180gr Blue Bullet out to 1.185. 170pf

I load about 1.130 for minor and major because that's about the length I need for a CZ Tactical Sport. If you normally load at 1.190 then continue that and adjust your powder load accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, woodrow said:

I just made some up with 2.5gr competition @ 1.130" I had a box of Missouri hitek coated 180gr tc and it clocked in at 130pf out of my G35.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Ramshot competition?  I have used ramshot competition when I started playing with production with my glock 22 and then a 35 but i was loading about 3.4 grains if I remember right. 

Edited by bulm540