Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power pistol load

Ridenemwild

Loaded up some power pistol for a 9mm 147 gr load. The results where not what I expected. Velocities where higher than expected. Just wanting some other opinions on if this will be a usable powder or not. I started .2 gr lower than the start load since the data called for a 1.130 coal and I like to load at 1.125 so that it plunks and spins in all my pistols. The std deviation of the higher load was alot higher than my normal titegroup load. Shot this out my Sig 226 legion. The max load is listed as 5gr so I was nowhere close to it. I also loaded some at 4.6gr but didn't feel safe trying them.

My load data

147 sns rn. 1.125. 4.2gr power pistol. 898 fps. Std deviation 5.3

147 sns rn. 1.125. 4.4gr power pistol. 925 fps. Std deviation 11.4

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Power Pistol was made specifically for 9mm Luger and was loaded in factory ammo long before it was offered as a canister propellant. It is definitely a usable powder in 9mm. It will give top velocities in 9mm so I wouldn't worry about them being higher than you expected. In my experience SDs are larger with starting loads and decrease as you approach max. Try more powder to lower your SDs. You are still well within safe specs. .005" deeper won't make a huge difference in pressures. Power Pistol is one of the top powders in 9mm. Much better suited to the cartridge than a fast powder like Tightgroup.