Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match. Second ever pistol match

calebj06

Ok guys. Just finished my first USPSA match. Took a few videos for you all to give me some pointers on.

I shot carry optics division and it was quite fun. I just got the dot this week so I'm VERY new to it which is probably obvious from the videos.   

I have videos from stages 2-5. We started on stage 6 so 5 was my last stage of the day and probably my best. I don't have the scores yet but I know on stage 5 for example I had like all alphas and 1-2 Charlie's.  

Stage 2. Second classifier of the day. Tick Tock. 

was Virginia count and I stuck the first shot in the top target in the no shoot and knew it. Was in too much hurry from the left target to top. Next time I think I'll start at the top to help that problem. 

Stage 3. 

nothing special here. Think I was slow on the steel for sure. I didn't know that shots on the black weren't a penalty or I would have speed up some on the far right side target. I had plenty of ammo. 

Stage 4 

comletly screwed up my plan on this one. I was first shooter and it got to me. I meant to shoot it all from two positions in the middle instead of going to the edge to start with. Then I engaged 2 targets on the first mag that were meant for the second mag causing me to run empty to slide lock. I also had a Mike on a double target one above the other. My eyes didn't realize that the head of the front target was covering the a zone of the second so target 1 had 3 shots and target two only had one. 

Stage 5

last stage of the day and I was last shooter. I was happy with this one. All alphas and 1-2 Charlie's. Hit the mag change at the right spot. Hit the steel. My plan of attack was exactly the same as an A class shooter so I was happy with my planning.  Just speed this one up and I'm happy I think. 

Ok guys. Fire away. I know I've got some things to work on but overall I'm happy. No DQ ( one shooter in out squad did due to an AD on reload. It was his 3rd match). 

Oh and one other funny thing. Fist stage of the day, first target, I popped both round before I remember that I had a red dot!!!  I never even saw it!  Good thing the target was close. 

Match totals 

80 shooter

i placed 57 

A-99

b-2

c-24

d-11

m-4

npm-5 (classifier stage lightning and thunder)

no shoot -1

Here is the breakdown by stage 

0930FF90-FF09-466B-8E14-DDEB789A474B.png
 Stages I videoed were tick tick through to the left. 
Edited by calebj06

On 4/15/2017 at 5:38 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Looked like a GREAT 1st time    :bow:

Just me, but I shoot the steel 1st and then the paper -

that way after I shoot the paper I can look back and

see if the steel fell ...  

Good luck with #2 ....    :) 

Thanks for the tip on the steel. My strategy was to shoot paper first so that if I took extra rounds on the steel I wouldn't end up without enough rounds to clear the paper without doing a reload.  A lot of the steel could be engaged from multiple locations. 

Does that make sense to anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

A few things to thing about. 

1. Get your gun up high to the shooting position before your feet get to the shooting position (see stage 4). This will allow you to shoot as soon as possible. Sooner is faster. 

2. You appear to be leaning left (including you head) in your shooting stance with a push/pull grip. check out some videos on grip and stance like this one with Travis Tomasie

3. you are also rotating at your waist from target to target. If you turn with you knees instead, it will be more aggressive and your dot will stay in the glass more consistently. 

12 hours ago, Chuckie45 said:

A few things to thing about. 

1. Get your gun up high to the shooting position before your feet get to the shooting position (see stage 4). This will allow you to shoot as soon as possible. Sooner is faster. 

2. You appear to be leaning left (including you head) in your shooting stance with a push/pull grip. check out some videos on grip and stance like this one with Travis Tomasie

3. you are also rotating at your waist from target to target. If you turn with you knees instead, it will be more aggressive and your dot will stay in the glass more consistently. 

Thx chuckie! 

The rotating thing i noticed when reviewing my videos. I think part of that is the fact that I just had hip surgery 7 months ago and while fully healed I still favor it and try to avoid moving it to hard. I need to overcome that habit. 

I will work on getting the gun up faster and have been working on the grip. Thx for the video. Hadn't seen that one yet. 

Caleb

• 4 weeks later...

Your movement is very "gingerly". It's pretty common starting out, as you are trying to be conscious of safety. It's something I am just getting over as well. Work on exploading out of positions during dryfire practice. Keep your center of gravity low, and your steps short and choppy. Think of a wide receiver running a route in press coverage. Full strides make it harder to stop or change direction.

6 hours ago, thepunishur said:

Your movement is very "gingerly". It's pretty common starting out, as you are trying to be conscious of safety. It's something I am just getting over as well. Work on exploading out of positions during dryfire practice. Keep your center of gravity low, and your steps short and choppy. Think of a wide receiver running a route in press coverage. Full strides make it harder to stop or change direction.

Thats Ts a very good point. I'm 6'2 and legs are long. I'm used to taking huge strides and covering ground quick. I see these guys running these stages and they are all like you say. Short and choppy. 

Ill have to work on some of that. 

Thx

• 1 month later...

When moving, take your weak hand off of the gun so you can run more normally with arm swing. 

Also, keep the gun about shoulder height. You have it near your belly button at times. Not only is it slower, but potentially dangerous if you trip and fall, there's more chance to land on top of the gun.