Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can precision rifle loading be accomplished with the 650?

Went from a 550 to a 650 for pistols but I had crazy great consistency loading rifle with my 550. I just don't shoot a ton of rifle compared to pistol so it made sense to make the switch. 

Havent started loadimg 308 or 3006 but I'm crazy anal about my OAL for both. +- .005 is the most ill take for loading my 308. I could get that no problem with my 550 all day long but even loading pistol with the 650 I'm taking a hit in OAL in exchange for speed.  Obviously I want consistency with my 308 loads. 

Anyone have ang any problem achieving this?  

What cheap single stage press would you guys recommend that gets great consistency?

Had the same problem with my 22-250 rounds.  I was getting plus or minus .005" with my 650 which was not acceptable.  I was going to buy a single stage press but really didn't have space for it.  I already have a Dillion 900 and 650 on my bench.  Then I found the Uniqtek Solo toolhead.  I was a little leery of the claims made by the company but  I ordered it.  It is worth every penny my rounds now are within plus or minus .001. Great product! 

I have both a 650 and 550 - the 650 is my production machine for pistol calibers I shoot a lot of, the 550 for loading small batches of pistol in odd calibers and some load development and for processing/loading rifle. 

It is a systems that works for me.   

If you adjust your dies with cases in all the positions, and tighten lock rings with cases in all the dies and the handle down, any variation you see in OAL is within the projectiles themselves, and not the machine.

8 minutes ago, dillon said:

If you adjust your dies with cases in all the positions, and tighten lock rings with cases in all the dies and the handle down, any variation you see in OAL is within the projectiles themselves, and not the machine.

This has been my experience on my 550. My issue is getting consistent powder throws with imr4064 and reloader 7 both extruded powders. If they metered like hp38 that would be slick.

I load my 260 precision ammo on a 650. I use the floating tool heads for neck sizer on the processing head and for the bullet seater on the loading head. Trickle all powder drops individually. 

As for bullet seating depth, OAL means nothing other than being able to load the ammo into a mag. Some bullets will vary greatly in overall length, but good bullets will not vary in length to ogive from the base. Length to ogive is what needs to be watched because it gives you a consistent jump to the lands.  My setup is easily +-.001 with the Redding bullet seater.

jj

3 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

I load my 260 precision ammo on a 650. I use the floating tool heads for neck sizer on the processing head and for the bullet seater on the loading head. Trickle all powder drops individually. 

As for bullet seating depth, OAL means nothing other than being able to load the ammo into a mag. Some bullets will vary greatly in overall length, but good bullets will not vary in length to ogive from the base. Length to ogive is what needs to be watched because it gives you a consistent jump to the lands.  My setup is easily +-.001 with the Redding bullet seater.

jj

How are you dispensing powder?

Trickled individually. (See last sentence 1st paragraph)

I use a Chargemaster...With a powder funnel on the loading head drop the measured powder into the funnel into the case when the ram is up. Drop the ram, put a bullet on, raise the ram, then wait for the Chargemaster's next throw. Takes a bit of time (about 100 per hour) but that is starting with prepped cases (not primed) and ending with loaded ammo.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

You asked about a cheap single stage press.

Look art the LEE Classic Cast Press.  The ram is hollow and spent primers and gunk go down a tube like on a Redding Big Boss 2.  

Get the standard one not the Breech Lock version.  You can remove the bushing and buy Hornaday  Lock & Load die holders and an insert to put them in the press.

The lever arm is adjustable in both length and angle so you can find what works for you.

If you buy from Brownells you get their Lifetime warranty on it.  Just watch for a free shipping sale.

They have them priced at $109.00 currently.  Which is $30 less than the Rockchucker Supreme that will have you chasing primers all over the room and cleaning up primer gunk all over your press.  The spent primer issue is why many people pay $40 more to get the Redding Big Boss 2 over the RCBS.

Ultimately accurate rifle reloading is the result of the operator.   You can make quality ammo on a small Sinclair Press or LEE loader at the range if you are diligent.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-presses/single-stage-presses/classic-cast-press-prod54176.aspx