Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Session Critique

anbrumm

I managed to barely scrape my way into B class (60.02%). That means there is a large amount of improvement that I need to make before being competitive. Took some videos of my practice session tonight. I had an epiphany tonight and was finally able to start shooting on a regular basis with both eyes open. This needs more practice, but is something that I have been trying to learn. 

Things I see I need to work on:

1. Grip - early on was not gripping enough, near the end started gripping tighter and saw better results. 

2. Reloads - Fumbled 1 reload in this video bad. Other times I reload it alright, but am not very quick getting back on target. 

3. Draw - My draws were consistent 1.5 - 1.8 to first shot.

What else do you all see that is low hanging fruit?

Edited by anbrumm

You stand up tall and shoot. More bend in the knees and weight more forward. At all times. When you move from Box A to B, you shouldn't be dropping to run then popping up to shoot in that narrow tippy stance in B. Wide low stance that has your head as low as your movement height, always. Weight 50/50 on feet when you enter a box to shoot.

Your draw slows to half speed on distant targets, which is common. Focus on getting that thing up and on the target as fast as possible. No reason to move hands slower - that time needs spent refining sight picture once the gun is up. Really go for breakneck speed on draws in DF for a while. Miss some. Then back down to match pace to finish each session. Use the same aggression getting the gun up at 25yd as at 7.

Your reload has a huge wasted movement: You bring the gun back to an extra position off to the right to dump the mag and then bring it back to centerline and drive it down onto the magazine - making the gun a moving target. Snap it straight back to "magazine insertion" point where you clap your hands and hit the mag button on the way. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

You stand up tall and shoot. More bend in the knees and weight more forward. At all times. When you move from Box A to B, you shouldn't be dropping to run then popping up to shoot in that narrow tippy stance in B. Wide low stance that has your head as low as your movement height, always. Weight 50/50 on feet when you enter a box to shoot.

Your draw slows to half speed on distant targets, which is common. Focus on getting that thing up and on the target as fast as possible. No reason to move hands slower - that time needs spent refining sight picture once the gun is up. Really go for breakneck speed on draws in DF for a while. Miss some. Then back down to match pace to finish each session. Use the same aggression getting the gun up at 25yd as at 7.

Your reload has a huge wasted movement: You bring the gun back to an extra position off to the right to dump the mag and then bring it back to centerline and drive it down onto the magazine - making the gun a moving target. Snap it straight back to "magazine insertion" point where you clap your hands and hit the mag button on the way. 

Awesome! Thanks for the analysis. I see things I need to work on, but don't always know how to break them down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Also B-class Limited here, but it seems that your support hand could move towards the gun more aggressively during the draw.

Try some draws to a target about 3 yards away. You don't need a refined sight picture, but make sure you "see what you need to see" to get alphas on that target. You should be able to do this in about 1.0s, I'm guessing. After your comfortable with that, push the target back a few more yards and try to maintain the draw speed. Any additional time should be in sight refinement alone as the target gets further away.

Also, it may be the camera angle, but you appear to drop and rotate your gun way down and to the right during reloads. Try to keep the gun upright and closer to your firing position. You probably won't need to move your head (nod down) to look the magazine into the gun if the gun was up more. You should be able to watch the mag fall free and look the mag into the gun with your eyes only; if your head is still, you may be able to reaquire the sights faster.

One last thing is that your transitions should be about the same as your splits if the targets are at the same distance (and difficulty). Try starting with the targets touching shoulders until you can achieve similar timing. Then, start spreading them apart and work to keep the times the same. You're already doing Bill Drills and Blake Drills, so just be mindful of the times.

In short +1 what MemphisMechanic said. :)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, N3WWN said:

Also B-class Limited here, but it seems that your support hand could move towards the gun more aggressively during the draw.

Try some draws to a target about 3 yards away. You don't need a refined sight picture, but make sure you "see what you need to see" to get alphas on that target. You should be able to do this in about 1.0s, I'm guessing. After your comfortable with that, push the target back a few more yards and try to maintain the draw speed. Any additional time should be in sight refinement alone as the target gets further away.

Also, it may be the camera angle, but you appear to drop and rotate your gun way down and to the right during reloads. Try to keep the gun upright and closer to your firing position. You probably won't need to move your head (nod down) to look the magazine into the gun if the gun was up more. You should be able to watch the mag fall free and look the mag into the gun with your eyes only; if your head is still, you may be able to reaquire the sights faster.

One last thing is that your transitions should be about the same as your splits if the targets are at the same distance (and difficulty). Try starting with the targets touching shoulders until you can achieve similar timing. Then, start spreading them apart and work to keep the times the same. You're already doing Bill Drills and Blake Drills, so just be mindful of the times.

In short +1 what MemphisMechanic said. :)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm going to focus on working on my draw this week in dry fire. I will test out your suggestions in live fire next week. I was consistently at like 1.5-1.8 second first shots at 7-10 yards, and I know this is slower than it should be. 

I think the reload thing comes from when I was in Production I would try to assist the mag out. It is something that I never noticed until taking this video. I am going to try to fix that as well!

On 4/17/2017 at 7:25 AM, N3WWN said:

Try to keep the gun upright and closer to your firing position. You probably won't need to move your head (nod down) to look the magazine into the gun if the gun was up more. You should be able to watch the mag fall free and look the mag into the gun with your eyes only; if your head is still, you may be able to reaquire the sights faster.

I used to be a strong proponent of the "in your face" high reload position. Honestly if you watch the top guys, some load ultra-high like Todd Jarret, and some load rather low.

Find the place that works for you. Championships have been won with both.

(The bigger the magwell, the farther up and out the loads seem to take place for most people.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 4/17/2017 at 9:22 AM, anbrumm said:

Thanks, I'm going to focus on working on my draw this week in dry fire. 

Focus on reaction time to the beep and getting to the gun as fast as you can. Film yourself. Look at actual hand speed vs. how fast your hands feel like they're going vs. video of top GMs.

On 4/17/2017 at 9:22 AM, anbrumm said:

I think the reload thing comes from when I was in Production I would try to assist the mag out. It is something that I never noticed until taking this video. I am going to try to fix that as well!

I've never shot anything but Production. Assisting (flicking the mag off to the side) has never been necessary with a Glock, M&P, or a Tanfoglio. It's just something you felt was helpful.

Practice your loads with an empty gun, simply hitting the button earlier and rolling the gun aggressively back directly to where you insert your mag.

Once that's consistent put an empty mag in the gun. You'll find it falls out just fine.

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I've never shot anything but Production. Assisting (flicking the mag off to the side) has never been necessary with a Glock, M&P, or a Tanfoglio. It's just something you felt was helpful.

This is exactly right, it was something that was pointed out to me when I was shooting production as actually slowing down my reloads due to it being canted when the mag starts to come out instead of straight up and down. It is definitely not something that was helpful.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:22 AM, anbrumm said:

I was consistently at 1.5-1.8 second first shots at 7-10 yards, and I know this is slower than it should be. 

It shouldn't take much effort (dry fire) to knock off at least 0.5 seconds from that draw.    :)

I pushed the par time down to .7 seconds tonight and practiced the reloads a little more. The second set of reloads are 25% of the original speed. It took the sound out of the clip, but couldn't get it back in.