Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vectan Prima V?

jeffroberdo

On 4/14/2017 at 2:26 PM, jeffroberdo said:

I am hearing a lot about Prima V Pistol Powder.

Where can i find reliable 9mm Load Data and,

Does anyone know where it falls on the Relative Burn Rate Chart?

Check page four in this PDF for burn rate info.

I'm not aware of manufacturer data for Prima V pistol loads, as it's marketed as a shotgun powder. I developed my Prima V pistol loads by starting with Internet heresy and working up carefully.

On 4/15/2017 at 3:31 PM, B_RAD said:

You chrono this load?

I chronoed some 124 plated RN bullets loaded with 3.8 gr Prima V @ 1.12" and got 1025 fps out of my M&P long slide.

I don't know if the TC referred to lesd, plate or coated.  

I also chronoed at 4.0 gr PV, same gun and OAL: 1067.  I tested more rounds of this load, so I feel it's a more accurate velocity.

• 9 months later...

I switched to shooting a Revolver last spring and am mostly reloading 38 special . Prior to switching to revolver 80% of my reloading was 9mm minor using Prima V . The last lot of Prima V wasn't the same Prima V I started with and seemed dirtier and accuracy wasn't the same so I started loading Prima SV using 1 or 2 tenths of a grain less powder than my usual Prima V loads . I really liked the Prima SV over the newer lot of Prima V . The SV had a softer recoil and was some cleaner . If Prima V is not available now I would recommend to anyone to try Prima SV for 9mm minor.

Edited by eggman
incorrect information was edited