Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Sport Pistol

AlanHinMN

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Trinimon said:

Hummm, haven't seen Sport Pistol on the shelves in Canada. Been wanting to give it a try. :(

It's still a new powder.  I'm sure if you have a more Mom and Pop type store instead of a big box in your area that you use and they sell Alliant they could get it for you.  It seems to be growing in popularity because the store I use that always had it doesn't have any right now.

FINALLY MADE MAJOR PF

5” 2011 w/KKM Barrel

200 gr Blue Bullet

1.175” OAL

4.2 gr Sport Pistol 

Avg FPS = 865 (10 rd string)

PF = 173

Temp: 79

Humidity: 93%

I plan on adjusting my OAL back to 1.185” and testing again.  It sounds and feels different than Titegroup..

Not sure if it “feels” softer than TG, but it meters consistently and I have 8 lbs left so I reccon I’ll use it for a while.

Edited by GlockGuy1

18 hours ago, GlockGuy1 said:

FINALLY MADE MAJOR PF

5” 2011 w/KKM Barrel

200 gr Blue Bullet

1.175” OAL

4.2 gr Sport Pistol 

PF = 173

I plan on adjusting my OAL back to 1.185” and testing again.  It sounds and feels different than Titegroup..

Not sure if it “feels” softer than TG, but it meters consistently and I have 8 lbs left so I reccon I’ll use it for a while.

Thanks for the info, a great reference for me as we have a near identical set up (even to the humidity and temp)!

I just ordered a keg of Sport Pistol, as I just ran out of TG this weekend...

What are you loading on for metering purposes? that's a concern of mine.

2 hours ago, dkamps said:

Thanks for the info, a great reference for me as we have a near identical set up (even to the humidity and temp)!

I just ordered a keg of Sport Pistol, as I just ran out of TG this weekend...

What are you loading on for metering purposes? that's a concern of mine.

Dillon XL650

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been running sport pistol in 9 minor and 40 major for two years now, it’s the most  temperature stable pistol powder I’ve used. I run 4.8grs under a S&S 180gr coated bullet and has cronoed between 170-175 at every major I’ve shot with it. It’s my new favorite. 

I picked up an 8# jug during Graf's recent sale.  I currently have 9mm (135gr) and .40 (180 & 200 gr) loads worked up using N320 and Prima V/SV. 

Now to do the same with  SP over the fall/winter.  Should be interesting and fun.

I haven’t shot a lot of this powder yet but this load was pretty good. No smoke, no flash, metered very well and cronoed very consistently  it’s close to vvn320 and WST but I think it is has a snappier feel to it. I am using a Cz TSO. I will shoot the 1 pound that I have and see how dirty this is can’t really tell from the little amount if shot so far. 

4.65g sport pistol

180 blue bullet 

1.145 OAL

945 FPS average

170 PF

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just loaded 1K rounds in the last two days. Stuff meters great in my LNL, better than N320. I was spot checking and it was never off at all. I use the exact same load as I did with N320. 

Para P16.40

4.6 grains

180 grain Blue Bullets

1.18 OAL

I chrono'd some rounds a couple weeks ago and the avg with 4.6 grains was 943.2 for 169.78 power factor. Low was 912, high 958, Std Dev was 12.73. They hit in the exact same POI as my N320. Accuracy was close enough I couldn't tell them apart. Gonna work on some 9mm rounds next with 125 grain Blue Bullets. 

• 5 months later...
On 9/2/2018 at 9:00 AM, Superpipe9 said:

I haven’t shot a lot of this powder yet but this load was pretty good. No smoke, no flash, metered very well and cronoed very consistently  it’s close to vvn320 and WST but I think it is has a snappier feel to it. I am using a Cz TSO. I will shoot the 1 pound that I have and see how dirty this is can’t really tell from the little amount if shot so far. 

4.65g sport pistol

180 blue bullet 

1.145 OAL

945 FPS average

170 PF

I know this is an older thread but I’m hoping to gather some more info from guys who use this powder for 40 s&w coated bullets, specifically in CZs. I’m currently loading 4.5gr of TG at 1.334 OAL making PF at 170ish for my TSO. I have one pound each of SP and N320 on the way, and I also have a bunch of HS6 that I bought for loading 9major.

curious to know what your load was using the n320, and also if you had and reliability issues loading at 1.145 OAL?

appreciate any advice that any of you have!

20 hours ago, XaoS said:

I know this is an older thread but I’m hoping to gather some more info from guys who use this powder for 40 s&w coated bullets, specifically in CZs. I’m currently loading 4.5gr of TG at 1.334 OAL making PF at 170ish for my TSO. I have one pound each of SP and N320 on the way, and I also have a bunch of HS6 that I bought for loading 9major.

curious to know what your load was using the n320, and also if you had and reliability issues loading at 1.145 OAL?

appreciate any advice that any of you have!

With n320 I used 4.52gr at the same 1.145oal and had almost the same result as the sport pistol. I have not had a single issue with the OAL but I would recommend you plunk test your barrel before loading a bunch. They should be nearly identical but I have heard of variations. 

1 hour ago, Superpipe9 said:

With n320 I used 4.52gr at the same 1.145oal and had almost the same result as the sport pistol. I have not had a single issue with the OAL but I would recommend you plunk test your barrel before loading a bunch. They should be nearly identical but I have heard of variations. 

Appreciate the feedback man. Have you ever shot TG? If so, would you say the 320/SP has a softer recoil impulse? I know both of these will be infinitely cleaner than the TG, just curious if there are other benefits as well...

thanks again!

12 hours ago, XaoS said:

Appreciate the feedback man. Have you ever shot TG? If so, would you say the 320/SP has a softer recoil impulse? I know both of these will be infinitely cleaner than the TG, just curious if there are other benefits as well...

thanks again!

I’ve never used titegroup in 40. I don’t like it because of how dirty and smoky it is. 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:37 PM, GlockGuy1 said:

FINALLY MADE MAJOR PF

5” 2011 w/KKM Barrel

200 gr Blue Bullet

1.175” OAL

4.2 gr Sport Pistol 

PF = 173

You finally got there!! Congratulations.

200 gn Blue Bullet

1.185-1.190 AOL

Atlas Nemesis

CCI primers

Sport Pistol

4.1 gn Marginal for 165 USPSA Min PF but only one of 20 rounds below 165. Avg almost 167

4.2 gn about 171 PF where I want to be. None below 165 or even close

4.3 gn mid 170's

I would like to stay close to 4.2 gn but always above 4.2 since the 4.3 is not an issue for me

I tried Sport Pistol in my Edge CRP and wasn't impressed. Bullet was 180 Brazos Hi Tek coated @1.185" . I plan to go back to tightgroup, and may work up some loads with Vectan Prima V.

4.4 gr 856 fps, 124 E.S., 31 S.D. accuracy at 25 yards average of 3 five shot groups 3.01"

4.6 gr 878 fps, 83 E.S., 24 S.D. accuracy at 25 yards average of 3 five shot groups 3.57"

4.8 gr 912 fps, 141 E.S., 33 S.D. accuracy at 25 yards average of 3 five shot groups 3.58"