Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of adding a1050

Shooting more now with mostly 40S&W and 9MM..... I have a 650 and a old 450 and was thinking of adding a 1050 to do the 9MM. Thought it made sense since the 9 range mix has some crimped primer pockets hear and there. Use the 650 for the 40S&W and other misc. loadings, the 450 is used when I'm working up a new load or as a backup when the 650 is set up for another caliber at the time. What's your thoughts? Is this rational?

G

That is why I went with a 1050 with an Ammobot .   I had been shooting SS and loading only 45ACP.  Then got the PCC bug, then the CO bug, so a 1050/AB for my 9mm and the LNL for the 45ACP.  This winter I will be converting over all to the 1050/AB.

I bought my first press almost a year ago and I went with the 1050 loading 9mm. I do not regret it one bit. The only thing I don't like about it is, the cost of changing calibers easily. A new tool head with powder drop is a bit pricy then the caliber conversion kit but I only shoot 9mm so it's no big deal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Butterpuc said:

you will not regret buying a 1050, I wish I had sooner.  you will giggle, when you first use it.  I do recommend buying a MBF also.

Are you using the Mini Mr.Bullet Feeder by DAA?

Lots of people are praising the 1050. I agree its a kick ass machine. However...

I started on a 650 and will confirm that is the first love. You have warranty for life and cost to switch calibers is cheap. I can go from 45s for IDPA CDP to 9mm in less than 15 min. 

I have a 1050, I have it set up for one caliber and dont plan on switching it. to much money and work put into it. I even develop my test loads on my 650 then just set the 1050 and load away.

IMHO I spent alot of money on a 1050 I didnt need.

Edited by Dutchman195

1 hour ago, Gman57 said:

Are you using the Mini Mr.Bullet Feeder by DAA?

No, I never really considered it because I didn't want to fill primer tubes and bullet tubes also.  I just dump a hand full of bullets in the feeder every time I drop a tube of primers in,  it is easy.  I will warn that it can be fickle when you change and setup other calibers or bullet shapes, so I try to load 1-2+ years worth of ammo before switching calibers, yeah because I am lazy... I truly switched presses to reduce my time in front of the press.  My time is valuable.  

24 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Lots of people are praising the 1050. I agree its a kick ass machine. However...

I started on a 650 and will confirm that is the first love. You have warranty for life and cost to switch calibers is cheap. I can go from 45s for IDPA CDP to 9mm in less than 15 min. 

I have a 1050, I have it set up for one caliber and dont plan on switching it. to much money and work put into it. I even develop my test loads on my 650 then just set the 1050 and load away.

IMHO I spent alot of money on a 1050 I didnt need.

Caliber changes on the 1050 are not fun, but it really isn't that bad.  it probably did take me ~1hr the first time I did it.  If you did it fairly frequently, I would think you could switch calibers and primer feeding in ~30min.

me.. because I am lazy, i might consider buying another 1050 and MBF.  lol

In all seriousness, I will probably take some time off from spending money on guns this year and stock on supplies and most likely a drive, probably a Mark 7.  I know it will not necessarily be "faster" per se, but I hope it will allow me to keeping it running while I keep feeding supplies.

How much 9mm or 40 do you shoot per year?  Buying the 1050 is probably not justified if the only reason is the sporadic crimped primer pocket in your brass bucket. 

1050 pros:

high output

many accessories (Mr. Bullet Feeder, Mark 7, ammobot, etc) to make output even faster

can be configured to process rifle brass (esp with an autodrive)

1050 cons

expensive

time consuming and expensive caliber changes

IMHO, it's quite a bit more of a temperamental machine than the 550 or 650. Takes about 5-10k rounds to break it in, and up to that point you'll have some odd jams that may frustrate you, especially if you tinker and don't get this or that mechanism set just right. There is more to learn and understand than on a 650 and of course the far simpler but reliable 550. I have read forum posts of folks who express rage over their inability too get the machine to do what it's supposed to do. I'm sure there are lemon 1050s out there, but honestly, most of the time, it's inexperience with the machine or misreading the manual (or NOT reading the manual).

I have a 1050 with a MBF and a Mark 7.  I love it but I enjoy tinkering and futzing with gadgets, but it tested my patience a few times.

If you shoot <1000 rounds per month, or shoot equal amounts of more than one caliber, I'd really hesitate to recommend a 1050. A 650 is probably better and can even be enhanced with a MBF, and a Mark 7. Not trying to discourage you, of course.  And, if you do get a 1050, having a 1050 veteran around who can help you is a great asset. But this forum and others are very helpful, as is the Dillon store, if you have issues.

Q

On 4/14/2017 at 0:50 PM, Butterpuc said:

In all seriousness, I will probably take some time off from spending money on guns this year and stock on supplies and most likely a drive, probably a Mark 7.  I know it will not necessarily be "faster" per se, but I hope it will allow me to keeping it running while I keep feeding supplies.

This is the biggest thing for me. I used to live with people that were also into the sport so we would attack the loading thing as a group. Someone sorts brass, one case guages and one loads. or a similar type set up. 

More recently than not moved across the country and being the solo man in the operation now, its nice to be sorting or cleaning or doing whatever else while the machine does its thing. And it'll stop itself if it jams so I dont need to stand there and watch it as closely

Love my 1050. At the moment its a dedicated 9mm machine. Getting ready to purchase a toolhead for .40.

My 1050 supplements my 550 as the dedicated multi caliber machine. 

Sold my first 1050 years ago while moving and grieved for a long time. Dont plan to be without one again.

I shoot 9 and 40.   one 1050, two tool heads with powder measurers, two shell plates..    priming systems stays the same.   simple.   maybe an 45 mins or less to change over.

bottom line, you will not regret getting a 1050!!

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, Quirk said:

How much 9mm do you shoot?  the 1050 is not justified for sporadic crimped primer pocket . 

You'd have to be doing a LOT of shooting with the 9mm to justify spending $2000 for a reloader,

since you already have a $1200 reloader.    :) 

Similar situations was what led me to purchase my first s1050, which is used for large 9mm run (2K-5K).

MBF and RF100 compliment the machine very nicely. Recently added a Mark7pro.... and couldn't be happier.

I spend more time cleaning/lubing it than I do for an actual caliber conversion, so it's truly not that big of an issue. Cost is relative, I could have spent 3x the time to reload the same volume on my 550b. My time is far more valuable than the money I've invested in s1050's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with a Hornady LNL because of funds and they had a 1000 Bullets free when I bought it. I later added a case feeder but there was always something that needed worked on, I could only run about a few hundred and something messed up, very frustrating. I thought there wasn't any differences between the red and blue at the time, but I was wrong. Don't get me wrong if I wasn't shooting that much they hornady would probably of been ok, but I was shooting almost 2000 rounds a month and it just didn't work for me. I purchased a 1050 for 9mm because I am a production shooter and I also load for my buddies machine guns. The 1050 out of the box had a few issues but I was prepared for them thanks to this great source of info here. I polished the primer slide to start with a few other things and this thing runs like a sewing machine. I added a MBF and with a few tweaks this thing is freaking awesome, I spend more time loading primers and cleaning brass. I also bought it to process my rifle brass, but haven't started that yet. I am going to process it on the 1050 and load on a used 650 I bought and sent back and had rebuilt, which shipping was the only charge I had. I wish I would of started with the mighty blue wonder, but I learned buy once, cry once. Do it and don't look back, you won't regret it.