Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme Delta hammer IDPA SSP legal?

1eyedfatman

I'd love to have a non-adjustable sight made for the rear of the gun, which mimicked the factory one in the center of its adjustment. 

One less thing to fail. Dawson has enough frontsight heights that virtually anyone would be able to zero their handloads.

Switching to grams now to increase precision of scale display, mag with henning pad:IMG_2751.JPG.49f386adb65d9ca58741a7989c0d685a.JPG

Without pad:

IMG_2750.JPG.08cb9ae98abcc5d3a1206fa363a3c7ac.JPG

Henning pad weight alone. (Factory pad is 4 grams):

IMG_2749.JPG.db12b199c0d8431b797336e21e41be6c.JPG

The spacer in the back of the mag @PatriotDefense says will remove 3/4oz of weight. It'll make the mag .110" longer if removed.

IMG_2745.JPG.3b1a33358653a39fb7cda6534e694c40.JPG

Cutting the spacer out of one mag in order to test this is tempting. Loading to 1.160" would result in the same front-to-rear slop as loading to 1.050" with a factory mag. That should certainly be a tolerable amount of play.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Would be cool if you can weigh the Stock 3 with plastic or wood grips instead of the SSI scale (metal) grips.

Here are my Stock 2 and Lim Pro weights.  It's interesting to see the Stock 2 is only <0.5 oz heavier than my Lim Pro.  I know my other Stock 2 weighs 43 oz with factory mag inserted.  I guess every single Tanfo gun is unique, right?

Note both of them have single-sided safety, with the Stock 2 having the ambi but only left side on, while Lim Pro has the real thin single-sided safety on.

LimProWeight.thumb.jpg.762ab7893416301222aa17649e85f57c.jpg

Stock2Weight.thumb.jpg.3a81aa407cbd2c91f819177c4fbca4f1.jpg

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Switching to grams now to increase precision of scale display, mag with henning pad:IMG_2751.JPG.49f386adb65d9ca58741a7989c0d685a.JPG

Without pad:

IMG_2750.JPG.08cb9ae98abcc5d3a1206fa363a3c7ac.JPG

Henning pad weight alone. (Factory pad is 4 grams):

IMG_2749.JPG.db12b199c0d8431b797336e21e41be6c.JPG

The spacer in the back of the mag @PatriotDefense says will remove 3/4oz of weight. It'll make the mag .110" longer if removed.

IMG_2745.JPG.3b1a33358653a39fb7cda6534e694c40.JPG

Cutting the spacer out of one mag in order to test this is tempting. Loading to 1.160" would result in the same front-to-rear slop as loading to 1.050" with a factory mag. That should certainly be a tolerable amount of play.

And to think you poked fun at me posting S2 configuration weights!

Since the barrel OD is the same, a 40 will weigh less than a 9mm. And a 45 should be even less. And 45 mags have no spacer.

The 40 can also directly use 10mm mags (no spacer), which saves 3/4 oz. Not sure if 38s mags will work. The old style suffer nose dives.

So, possibly a 40sw or 45 S3 could make weight

With a lighter guide rod, wood grips and plastic base pads.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Tanfoglio about their Unica and Xtreme line of replacement parts.  

They clarified that all those parts are USPSA and IPSC Production legal, because these parts are made and offered by Tanfoglio for "Stock 1, 2, 3, Limited Pro, Combat Sport and more".  Among the list, at least Stock 1 , Combat Sport and Limited Pro are IDPA SSP legal.  

It is also true that in Europe, Tanfoglio ships firearms equipped with any of Tanfoglio parts (including Xtreme and Unica line of parts) based on customer requests.  However, they do not do so in the USA. 

I hope these info could put the issue to rest.  

Here is an analog using Glock factory parts.  I am not aware of any Glock guns out of factory with extended mag release.  However, Glock does offer extended mag release as "factory part replacement".  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004269033/glock-magazine-release-extended-glock-17-19-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-31-32-33-34-35-37-38-39-polymer-black

This replacement part is a factory original from Glock. Factory replacement parts are manufactured to the exact same specifications and tolerances and use the same manufacturing materials as the original parts which guarantees excellent fit and reliable operation. Some parts may need to be installed by a qualified gunsmith.

I asked IDPA HQ before about this particular Glock extended mag release and they said it is SSP legal because it is Glock factory part, does the same thing as the original out-of-factory standard mag release.  Along the same line, I believe the Tanfoglio Xtreme and Unica parts are SSP legal too.

23 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I contacted Tanfoglio about their Unica and Xtreme line of replacement parts.  

They clarified that all those parts are USPSA and IPSC Production legal, because these parts are made and offered by Tanfoglio for "Stock 1, 2, 3, Limited Pro, Combat Sport and more".  Among the list, at least Stock 1 , Combat Sport and Limited Pro are IDPA SSP legal.  

It is also true that in Europe, Tanfoglio ships firearms equipped with any of Tanfoglio parts (including Xtreme and Unica line of parts) based on customer requests.  However, they do not do so in the USA. 

I hope these info could put the issue to rest.  

Here is an analog using Glock factory parts.  I am not aware of any Glock guns out of factory with extended mag release.  However, Glock does offer extended mag release as "factory part replacement".  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004269033/glock-magazine-release-extended-glock-17-19-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-31-32-33-34-35-37-38-39-polymer-black

I asked IDPA HQ before about this particular Glock extended mag release and they said it is SSP legal because it is Glock factory part, does the same thing as the original out-of-factory standard mag release.  Along the same line, I believe the Tanfoglio Xtreme and Unica parts are SSP legal too.

It comes from the factory on 34s and 35s

22 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

On all of them, too. Not just the ones you add some shiny option onto.

OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer are OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer. 

Ha

Edited by Kraj