Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which base pads for Dawson IPSC mag well?

Oldminger

If you have any magazines with a welded base like the CMC Shooting Star magazines, you will need the gap magwell so that the base will hit the front strap as it is supposed to in order to limit over travel. You can still add Dawson's screw on base pads to those magazines. I just ordered three screw on pads for my CMC Shooting Star magazines and three pads for my CMC Power Mags.

If you get the Dawson Ice No Gap, you will need to use Dawson's No Gap magazine base pads which will only work on magazines with a removable base (CMC Power Mags, Wilson Combat, etc.)

Can't use the Dawson ice mag well for IPSC Classic division as it is dimensionally incorrect, I will have to use the DP IPSC version which is 34.9mm wide (35mm Max allowable as per rule). I don't have any magazines at the moment so looking for a recommendation for 10 round 9mm single stack mags and bases that will fit the DP IPSC mag well. 

I'm shooting an STI Trojan in 9mm.

thanks lads for any thoughts you might have.

cheers

john

I recently switched to an IPSC magwell on my SS, and there are no issues or discriminators to speak of.  I transitioned to this magwell because I use a raised mag catch on my 40 and wanted a positive reload.  The IPSC magwell will expose more of the mag body & basepad than the traditional Dawson magwell.  In my case this allowed the mags to be fully seated without having the basepads flush with the magwell.

Edited by JWard79

12 hours ago, JWard79 said:

I recently switched to an IPSC magwell on my SS, and there are no issues or discriminators to speak of.  I transitioned to this magwell because I use a raised mag catch on my 40 and wanted a positive reload.  The IPSC magwell will expose more of the mag body & basepad than the traditional Dawson magwell.  In my case this allowed the mags to be fully seated without having the basepads flush with the magwell.

Any pics of your setup with mag inserted and without?

Spoke to the DP very helpful and they do a base pad specifically for the IPSC (international) mag well. So if any of you USPSA shooter who currently don't fit the box this might be a good way to go, especially as the IPSC is slightly smaller than your box.