Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wallowing out the Magwell on a stock 2

Jsuki

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, it's the flaring of that 1/8" high ridge all the way around the INSIDE of the bottom of the magwell that is actually the key. 

The problem with the Tanfo is not the size of the bottom opening - it just seems that way before you modify one and learn this lesson.

The actual problem is that if you get the top round up into the center of the opening but your mag body isn't perfectly aligned with the grip, it binds badly on that internal ridge.

The internal clearancing is more important than the visually impressive stuff you can see on my gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

After reading this post and the post by MemphisMechanic I went ahead and did the frame on mine and blended it better to the magwell.

once I started I couldn't stop until it looked like my trigger bar and plunger.06d61f1514a94ad071a4d0c63ab664d9.jpg92676ed23810108b344638c96c2701af.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

hahahaha wait wtf hahahaha that Magwell is huge.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, billthemarine2862 said:

After reading this post and the post by MemphisMechanic I went ahead and did the frame on mine and blended it better to the magwell.

once I started I couldn't stop until it looked like my trigger bar and plunger.06d61f1514a94ad071a4d0c63ab664d9.jpg92676ed23810108b344638c96c2701af.jpg

Mine looks like it was chewed on by a pack of rabid pit bulls.

Nicely done ! Does that shine come with an automatic GM card?

It is the Henning. I removed material from the frame of the gun, mostly to ensure smooth reloads. The magwell is mostly just polished except right where it meets the frame.
The principal is the same.

It will be chewed up soon enough.

The only GM card is for the crazy ass OCD division.

Edited by billthemarine2862

5 hours ago, JB38Super said:

Just a quick reminder here folks.

22.4 limits the length of the opening to 1/4" longer than a magazine........

Jim 

The longitudinal (front-to-back) dimension of the opening may be more than 1/4” greater than the corresponding dimension of a magazine.

It says "may be more" not, no more than.

5 hours ago, JB38Super said:

Just a quick reminder here folks.

22.4 limits the length of the opening to 1/4" longer than a magazine........

Jim 

Go back to page one and click the link I posted. The one that will show you a conversation where DNROI specifically OK'd what I did to my gun.

• 1 month later...

Must have read this thread about 6 times before I had the courage for a friend/gunsmith to proceed.  My friend has the tools/skills.  Not me.  I see where the grip panel sticks in/out a bit but a file should take care of that.

mag%20well%20tanfo_zpstzdtjkje.jpg

Edited by oddjob

47 minutes ago, oddjob said:

Must have read this thread about 6 times before I had the courage for a friend/gunsmith to proceed.  My friend has the tools/skills.  Not me.  I see where the grip panel sticks in/out a bit but a file should take care of that.

mag%20well%20tanfo_zpstzdtjkje.jpg

That looks fantastic!  Your friend does fine work!

On 4/21/2017 at 4:45 AM, billthemarine2862 said:

What did you do to ensure the magwell doesn't move forwards and backwards? Get a wider diameter screw or put shims in around the existing one? 

I found especially after a few rounds of dry firing that mine definitely moved forward enough to cause problems with reloads unless I really slammed the new mag in. After some epic fails at reloads at a match I came home and found the mags would seat just fine after I tapped the magwell back just a bit to line it up once again.

Thinking about trying shims to keep it from moving if I can find some small enough to fit in the screw holes on either side of the handle. 

15 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

What did you do to ensure the magwell doesn't move forwards and backwards? Get a wider diameter screw or put shims in around the existing one? 

I found especially after a few rounds of dry firing that mine definitely moved forward enough to cause problems with reloads unless I really slammed the new mag in. After some epic fails at reloads at a match I came home and found the mags would seat just fine after I tapped the magwell back just a bit to line it up once again.

Thinking about trying shims to keep it from moving if I can find some small enough to fit in the screw holes on either side of the handle. 

I will get you some pics tonight but, I did try a metal rivet from a blade tech teklok kit.  it had too much movement.  I have a pair of dry wall anchors that I use now.  I trimmed them down and have them in between the gap in the frame and the Magwell to brace the screw.  I mixed up a small bit of the modeling grade JB Weld and painted a tiny amount on to the dry wall anchors to help lock it in place.

A single #60 Danco  rubber washer was used as a washer at the screw head.  It gives you just enough grip to keep the screw from backing out on its own (I used an X-acto knife to trim the excess rubber that squirts out).  A bit of blue locktite on the end of the screw too.

I have shot 3 matches and about 1k practice rounds with 0 Magwell movement.

I will get you some pics tonight but, I did try a metal rivet from a blade tech teklok kit.  it had too much movement.  I have a pair of dry wall anchors that I use now.  I trimmed them down and have them in between the gap in the frame and the Magwell to brace the screw.  I mixed up a small bit of the modeling grade JB Weld and painted a tiny amount on to the dry wall anchors to help lock it in place.
A single #60 Danco  rubber washer was used as a washer at the screw head.  It gives you just enough grip to keep the screw from backing out on its own (I used an X-acto knife to trim the excess rubber that squirts out).  A bit of blue locktite on the end of the screw too.
I have shot 3 matches and about 1k practice rounds with 0 Magwell movement.

here are some pics. you can see how I set the dry wall anchors. I shortened them so the would fit in place. I had to trim off some material so they were flush with the frame so they don't interfere with magazine seating.
I used a child's watercolor paintbrush to apply the JB Weld. The anchors are still easy to remove if you need to remove the Magwell for some reason.
After I knew it wasn't moving I went back and blended the Magwell completely to the frame. Even if the Magwell were to move I have a ton of clearance and can probably still reload with no problems.

The pictures really don't do the blending justice in my opinion.9d71fb2651715d2b97f0c9ac0ff95df1.jpg474e8efd52544efc1608ff724ae46552.jpg5bae95dd6cfd5d18003621e4a301e684.jpg

5 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

here are some pics. you can see how I set the dry wall anchors. I shortened them so the would fit in place. I had to trim off some material so they were flush with the frame so they don't interfere with magazine seating.
I used a child's watercolor paintbrush to apply the JB Weld. The anchors are still easy to remove if you need to remove the Magwell for some reason.
After I knew it wasn't moving I went back and blended the Magwell completely to the frame. Even if the Magwell were to move I have a ton of clearance and can probably still reload with no problems.

The pictures really don't do the blending justice in my opinion.9d71fb2651715d2b97f0c9ac0ff95df1.jpg474e8efd52544efc1608ff724ae46552.jpg5bae95dd6cfd5d18003621e4a301e684.jpg

Awesome thanks for the detailed pics!  I'll get to it on mine and see if the magwell will finally quit moving.

On 4/22/2017 at 7:12 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Go back to page one and click the link I posted. The one that will show you a conversation where DNROI specifically OK'd what I did to my gun.

Sure going to be a lot of nice guns for sale cheap when Troy retires :) . 

(All kidding aside, it would be very nice if we could persuade him to clarify the rules officially. Maybe if many folks keep asking.)

24 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Sure going to be a lot of nice guns for sale cheap when Troy retires :) . 

What would I do with this gun then? I guess mill the slide and frame until it hits 43oz and sell it as the ultimate IDPA ESP blaster.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What would I do with this gun then? I guess mill the slide and frame until it hits 43oz and sell it as the ultimate IDPA ESP blaster.

If legal that would be a way cool drool over IDPA gun (although it seems like those guys tend to drool regardless).