Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammers - Production

cheby

Nope. But, I'm also not into tinkering and chasing gear; the CZC does exactly what a hammer should do. I'm also not thrilled with the new rule change, so that taints any future consideration of switching for me. 

I prefer CGW's hammer. It has a cleaner break IMO. That said, the CZC hammer is still fantastic. There might be some unconscious bias since that is what I read as well. I imagine if you gave it to me as a blind test, I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference.

I've got CZC hammers mostly because they have been production and IDPA legal for a good long while, although I also have a couple guns with CGW's hammers.  I have to say I prefer CGW's sear and disconnector to the stock ones but I don't think CGW's hammer has anything on CZCs.    

On 4/13/2017 at 6:05 PM, eerw said:

Not sure on your numbers.

sear rest on shelf, not in the notch.

so effective hook depth is .0125

58f0201eb7f40_hammercomp11.jpg.e24471ddbba18f1c11d8a6829bfb2351.jpg

What is this cool thing that i am looking at? How are the hammer hooks in this picture being measured? It looks like you can rotate the graph for different increments.

7 hours ago, Tok36 said:

What is this cool thing that i am looking at? How are the hammer hooks in this picture being measured? It looks like you can rotate the graph for different increments.

It's an optical comparator with an insert for measurement

My Shadow 2 hammer was just fine but I did replace it. I can tell you that the CZ comp and CGW hammers had better finishing and surface finishes on the action areas. Specifically, the Shadow 2 hammer had a noticeably rougher surface between the SA hook and the half cock hook. It could have been cleaned up. There was also a larger radius on the edge before the SA hammer hook (right corner of the image above). I should have taken some comparison photos (I even have  a comparator :( ) but I did not as I was giddy to try some different things out. The GCW hammer appeared flatter (than the CZ custom) at the hammer pin flats when polishing the sides on a machining parallel with 1000 grit paper. I went with the CGW hammer on the Shadow 2 and put the CZ comp hammer on another project. I'm not sure it would have mattered either way. They are both fine products and as I mentioned the Shadow 2 factory hammer was pretty good.

To be clear they are not CZC Hammers.  They are CZ Comp Hammers from CZ UB.  From what David has told me the way the CGW hammers are made they should last longer then the CZ Comp Hammers.   When it comes to trigger weight and break most people will not be able to tell a difference.  How the hammer fits with "your" gun will matter more.

1 hour ago, brisix said:

To be clear they are not CZC Hammers.  They are CZ Comp Hammers from CZ UB.  From what David has told me the way the CGW hammers are made they should last longer then the CZ Comp Hammers.   When it comes to trigger weight and break most people will not be able to tell a difference.  How the hammer fits with "your" gun will matter more.

that is a good point

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2017 at 7:12 PM, twowheels said:

I've got CZC hammers mostly because they have been production and IDPA legal for a good long while, although I also have a couple guns with CGW's hammers.  I have to say I prefer CGW's sear and disconnector to the stock ones but I don't think CGW's hammer has anything on CZCs.    

Can you expand on this please?  What characteristics of the CZC hammer to you find surpass the CGW hammer?  Thanks in advance.

On 4/13/2017 at 9:15 PM, Sliv2 said:

I'm also not thrilled with the new rule change, so that taints any future consideration of switching for me. 

Eh?  What's this rule change you're referring to? Want to know before I go out and order a different hammer.

NROI ruled that aftermarket hammers are ok as long as it doesn't change the internal function, ie changing from a decocker hammer to a cocked and locked version. So CGW race hammer is ok to use even thought it's aftermarket and the externals are different.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Since I was just recently looking to upgrade the hammer on my SP01, very good timing on that ruling indeed. Seems like an odd departure from the old rule, but I'll take it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:36 AM, CTD_P2A said:

Can you expand on this please?  What characteristics of the CZC hammer to you find surpass the CGW hammer?  Thanks in advance.

I didn't say that I think the CZC hammer surpasses the CGW hammer.  But, I find my guns using the CZC hammers are equal to my guns using the CGW hammers and the fact that the CZC hammers have been production and IDPA legal has tipped the balance in favor of the CZC hammers.  I haven't kept up with the legality of CGW hammers but I don't feel the need to change given the excellent performance of the CZC hammers.