Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New wall rule

Sarge

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Please reread 2.2.3.3 (old version AND the new, per the NROI Ruling) and explain to me how barrels would NOT qualify as "all such barriers, walls, vision barriers and snow fence barriers [...]"

It will not matter whether it is a snow fence, wooden wall, pile of tires, or even barrels ... They are ALL subject to the rule - per the rule.

How about obstacles (other constructs?) as discussed in 2.2.2?  Could a single barrel, which was clearly intended to be shot over, be considered an obstacle and therefore not subject to 2.2.3.3?

Edited by nuidad
Clarification...

1 hour ago, cas said:

Why is it "gaming a stage" for a tall person to shoot over a wall, but it's not when a short person doesn't have to bend over for a port? :D

Because a tall person's single stride equalling 5 of mine evens the score on low ports.  :D

1 hour ago, nuidad said:

How about obstacles (other constructs?) as discussed in 2.2.2?  Could a single barrel, which was clearly intended to be shot over, be considered an obstacle and therefore not subject to 2.2.3.3?

My interpretation of 2.2.2 involves "obstacles to be surmounted by competitors."  The key word in this is "surmounted."

I wouldn't consider shooting over a single barrel as surmounting.  I would consider "surmount" to mean climbing on top of or over.  With that being said,  I've never seen a single barrel included in a COF that required a competitor to climb on top of or over it.

Furthermore, 2.2.2.2 mentions the descending side of the obstacle which lends credence to my interpretation.

Edited by d_striker

10 hours ago, d_striker said:

My interpretation of 2.2.2 involves "obstacles to be surmounted by competitors."  The key word in this is "surmounted."

I wouldn't consider shooting over a single barrel as surmounting.  I would consider "surmount" to mean climbing on top of or over.  With that being said,  I've never seen a single barrel included in a COF that required a competitor to climb on top of or over it.

Furthermore, 2.2.2.2 mentions the descending side of the obstacle which lends credence to my interpretation.

Spot on ... While no longer popular, in years past I've seen MANY instances of walls, platforms, fences, etc. which the shooter had to climb, descend, or whatever in order to navigate a CoF.

A barrel is, by it's very nature, a barrier ... specifically, a vision barrier as one cannot see through it.  Hence, it is FULLY covered by 2.2.3. et. seq.

46 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

hmmm. i think we need more surmounting in our local matches.

We used to at my club, low walls, cooper tunnels, 50 yard dash to the shooting position

then we got old and can't do that shit anymore