Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting/Training Books

jmtyndall

Shooting/Training Books  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I currently own a couple of training books I bought here years ago when I first wanted to get into practical shooting. Circumstances at the time didn't really allow me to pursue that hobby. However I've recently moved, and joined a membership range that will allow me to shoot much more often than I was able to before. I've also located the local ranges that have USPSA matches. I still plan to use the books I have (Perfect Practice and I forget the other) as a starting point, but I was curious what books others have and would recommend.

As a baseline for where I'm at now, I can shoot accurate hits, slow fire on a static range out to 25 yards without much drama, and I've been working on getting accurate hits while increasing my rate of fire. I have taken a limited number of defensive pistol and practical pistol courses, so I have a good grasp of the basics (stance, sight picture, trigger control), and I've shot a handful (maybe 4-5) IDPA matches a few years ago, I'm clearly not looking for a book to get me from Master to Grand Master. I've read through the COF and watched some videos of the classifier, and based on my current skill level I would estimate that I could shoot a classifier today at around a low C level.

• 1 month later...

I have the Brian Enos book on audio and kindle. I bought the Saul Kirsch book and Get to Work. I have Ben Stoeger's three books. I find myself using the skills and drills and Get To Work the most. The Enos book should be IMO.Be read then put on a shelf for about a year then reread. It is not for beginners. They all are good. Get a dry fire book and Brian's book and you should have enough to get you to B class in no time.

Advice to myself if I had a time machine:

Read a book on fundamentals like Practical Pistol Reloaded, then get a dry fire book/s and start training.

Set up a dry fire training schedule and live fire practice at least once a week, preferably with another motivated shooter either at a similar or better level of skill.

Read Beyond Fundamentals.

Expand you knowledge, the other books are good too (Lanny Basham's should be added to the list), and there are some good DVD's.  Re-read them, particularly Beyond Fundamentals.  The more you shoot and the more your knowledge grows the more it will make sense. 

Ben and Steve's podcasts are good listen to and beat listening to the crap on the radio or the drone of the lawn mower etc.

Don't forget to read the rule book too.

Seek constructive feed back, use video to analyse your performance.  

Take some classes.

Developing speed should be a key focus of your training.

Eventually your training will focus on identified weaknesses rather a set of basic or random drills.

Acknowledge and accept some key things early in your shooting career:

1. Quality training and practice beat going through the motions hands down;
  2. Training and preparing yourself mentally can be as critical as your shooting skills on match day;
  3. What may get you to your goals today may not get you to your goals tomorrow;
  4. Match your participation to your expectations.

I like to stick to Stoeger's books. I find if I start looking at too much content from different guys I lose focus.

Read practical pistol, then start working out of the dry fire book and skills and drills. You'll need a shot timer too.

5 hours ago, WiII said:

I like to stick to Stoeger's books. I find if I start looking at too much content from different guys I lose focus.

I think Will's on to something with sticking to a single author for a bit - I've just come to the same conclusion. Find someone you can relate to and then run with his stuff for a while. 

For me it was Steve Anderson. Ben Stoeger's stuff is really good too, but I just related to Steve's books more. Get to Work has had the most influence on me of anything I've read. Improvement was almost instantaneous and I see things completely differently now.

• 2 months later...
Enos book is by far the best.  The only thing it lacks is well-defined drills that are created to improve performance.  Get those from the Stoeger books.

Agree with both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Read Enos book and now am starting Dry fire reloaded.

Really pumped because I just bought home with big basement. I'm going to do stages galore down there to get max benefit from the book. 

Dryfire reloaded here. Some awesome drills to improve skills with many being possible in tight areas. One that I really need to do but have to figure out the room is to set up cones in a 15' diameter circle and run around them as fast as possible doing reloads.

Love they simplicity and prescriptive  program of Anderson's first book. Refinement and Repetition for a concrete action plan

Dry Fire Reloaded for additional context and a different explanation of techniques and purpose.

Brian's book for deep dive background and historical context / evolution. 

• 4 weeks later...

I believe every shooter should get Steve Anderson's Refinement and Repetition book with their membership card.
It's that important. Read it, set up a regular dry fire schedule, do the drills, listen to his podcasts, learn the three different shooting modes. Simple recipe for rapid growth.
Guaranteed fast results!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting that i (finally) hit the forum up and saw this post. 

I've read Steve's dry fire drill book and of course read Brian's book. That's about it for me. Brian's book has everything I could ever need to do whenever I could possibly want to.

Lately I've been reading some "different" kinds of books that I've been thinking about applying to competition shooting. Most recently I've been reading a book called "On Combat" and while it is definitely about a more serious topic one could easily see how different thoughts and activities.

Once the fundamentals are there this game is so much about the details and mental game. Books that help me in that aspect are where I think I'll be focusing.

J

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Dr Mitch said:

Enos book is by far the best.  The only thing it lacks is well-defined drills that are created to improve performance.  Get those from the Stoeger books.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:15 AM, al23 said:

Agree with both

agree with both

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has prompted me to want to buy some Steve Anderson's books :)

My question to you guys is, does Get To Work kinds supersedes Refinement and Repetition? Or are they different books covering different aspects? I am trying to decide whether to get both, or just the Get To Work book ... would appreciate your opinions if you've used both!

(Note: I already own Ben Stoeger's Practical Pistol Reloaded and Dryfire Reloaded)

This thread has prompted me to want to buy some Steve Anderson's books [emoji4]

My question to you guys is, does Get To Work kinds supersedes Refinement and Repetition? Or are they different books covering different aspects? I am trying to decide whether to get both, or just the Get To Work book ... would appreciate your opinions if you've used both!

(Note: I already own Ben Stoeger's Practical Pistol Reloaded and Dryfire Reloaded)
Get to Work is what Steve calls his manifesto. It is a culmination of his first two books along with any knowledge he gained up to the point of his writing it. If you can get only one, get "Get to Work" It has a bunch of drills that R & R has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk

On 2/3/2018 at 7:22 PM, chrisstophere said:

Get to Work is what Steve calls his manifesto. It is a culmination of his first two books along with any knowledge he gained up to the point of his writing it. If you can get only one, get "Get to Work" It has a bunch of drills that R & R has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk

Thanks! It seems to make more sense to get the Get to Work book. So that's what I ordered :)

Edited by daviglock

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Enos' book, Anderson's dry fire book and 3 Stoeger books. I recommend the Stoeger fundamentals book to any shooter I talk to. The Enos book is interesting but its not for beginners at all. Anderson's dry fire book is good because it allows you to record your work although Stoeger's new dry fire book has that too.