Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Tanfoglio Limited Pro safety detent

1eyedfatman

I swapped out my ambi safety for the single sided safety (14.1).  When I first installed it, there was no clicking detent at all...it just moved freely up and down with only friction causing any resistance.  The original safety did have positive clicks.  I wanted firm resistance on the safety because when I tried the CZ SP01 Shadow, I had problems with tripping the safety part way during manipulations.  And I will only be running the gun DA/SA (so, no safety manipulation).

I saw there is a detent on the safety with a pin which could be hammered in/out.  I worked with that thing for at least an hour trying to get it just right, but it was always too much or if I was able to push the safety back in, not enough resistance to the clicks as I would like.  There is now a click, but weak for me.  I don't want to sweep the thing with my thumb, move it up half-way and engage it.  I actually hammered the pin out and noticed there was a spring in there with the detent pin.  So, with a spring, I figured there would be some free-float movement to the detent, but there is NOT.  It is in there firmly and takes a hammer and punch to move it...with firm wacks!

Maybe its just hit or miss on getting the right safety that adjusts well.  Does anybody have any experience with this?

My understanding the pin and spring are supposed to be peened (permanently captured) by the safety. You shouldn't have to do anything with it for it to properly engage the notches on the frame, for the tactile feel you are looking for. Sounds like you may have gotten a bad safety? How old is the gun? I have heard of a Limited owner wearing out the frame notches over time which makes the tactile feel lessen.

The single-sided safety (thin one) has some QC issues - I bought 3 of them.  1 lost the spring after a week and I don't even know how that happened.  The other 2 are really loose now.

Anyone knows where to buy the tiny spring?  Shouldn't there be a pin to hold the spring in place?

TanfoSafetyIssue.thumb.jpg.53c11b77f7f9b4883be458aa4534b190.jpg

The spring and plunger should be peened in meaning the metal of the safety body is slightly deformed at the outer most edge to keep the parts from coming out of the bore. I think I can kid of see the the mark at the bottom in your photo, unless your type is different from the larger ones...

1 hour ago, dogtired said:

Of course you would destroy the ambi safety but have you considered shortening the right side safety mount to flush?

After receiving my single sided safety this is exactly what I did to have a backup.  After carefully cutting, radius, polish and blueing the end by hand they look identical.