Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Production Ammo

AzNooB

I don't reload and don't plan to at this stage in the game. What are some factory ammo options for production that are a good value? Is there anything out there in bulk (1000 round cases) that is loaded near minor PF? I'd like to get under $0.20 per round if possible.

I just tried a case of the Freedom Munitions 135 hollow points and they have been wonderful in my pistol.  Accuracy is really good, shoots soft, and reliability is 100%.  However, I didn't chronograph any of it so I'm not sure what PF it is.  Also, my competition pistol has yet to choke on anything at all and I'm over 5k through it (less than a year old), so I'm not sure that it's a great measuring stick.  

For your price though, Freedom Munitions is probably one of the better bets.  It is bargain basement ammo.

10 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Lots of reman ammo if you are open to that. Georgia Arms is popular.

I use Rush Creek ammo with zero failures.

I have used rush creek as well. Good stuff and cheapest price I could find. 

Their site doesn't work well from your phone though. Make sure to use desktop mode to see what's in stock. 

2 minutes ago, calebj06 said:

My rush creek is 115. My personal reloads I have went to 124 but if I run short the rush creek will be my backup. I need to make sure it will hit PF. 

Ahh okay. I use the 115gr Rush Creek TMJs as practice ammo and their 124gr HPs as match ammo.

17 hours ago, calebj06 said:

I'll try to chrono my rush creek tomorrow for you if you would like. I need to do it anyway in case I need it for a match

The price is right. Have you shot it for accuracy?

3 hours ago, AzNooB said:

The price is right. Have you shot it for accuracy?

Just got back from shooting it. 

Average speed on five rounds was 1096. 

These were 115gr so a power factor of 126. That's CLOSE!  

So your not gonna get a softer shooting 115 

as far as accuracy I can't say I tried real hard to put them all in one hole but I'm not that type of pistol shooter anyway. They don't shoot any different than anything else though. 

Caleb

Edited by calebj06

21 hours ago, calebj06 said:

Just got back from shooting it. 

Average speed on five rounds was 1096. 

These were 115gr so a power factor of 126. That's CLOSE!  

So your not gonna get a softer shooting 115 

as far as accuracy I can't say I tried real hard to put them all in one hole but I'm not that type of pistol shooter anyway. They don't shoot any different than anything else though. 

Caleb

Thanks for the info! What gun/barrel length were you using?

The reason I'm concerned with accuracy is because I've purchased reloaded ammo that would group about 2.5-3 ft at 25 yards. On a good day, I can hold a < 6" group with any factory ammo at that distance while shooting freestyle.

Edited by AzNooB

Freedom Munitions is one I hear great things about. I'll be trying them myself.

I hear it's very clean ammo too, so not much build up in the gun.

124gr and 135gr HP or RNFP are between 18c and 22c per round. Plus you can get either new or re-manufactured.

first, go to ammoseek.com or gunbot.net.  both of these search for cheap ammo for you, and with ammmoseek you can narrow by brand, bullet weight, case material, etc.  generally, for factory loads, the heavier-for-caliber bullets will give less recoil allowing faster follow up shots.  i just ordered a case of fed am eagle 147g 9mm from SG Ammo for $226 shipped.  fed has a $40 rebate on this, so net is $186 shipped which is a pretty nice price for new factory ammo.

Anyone have experience or feedback on Leadheadammo.us?

It was recommended by someone who shoots it, just can't much else on it.

I shot leadhead bulk 9mm from ammo clearance back when I was a beginner... maybe chrono'd at 140-145 power factor. it worked well at the time. Had 1 squib tho... out of maybe 2-3000 rounds... sooooo yea. Up to you.

I bought a Dillon 650 right after that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info here. :)  However, I have heard that you can't really beat the price of reloading your own.  At least after the initial buy-in cost.  Yes, it isn't really that cheap to buy-in, but afterwards, it really isn't bad.  I bit the bullet (ok, pun intended.  LOL) and just bought all of my reloading stuff just about a week ago to start reloading for upcoming competitions.  I haven't reloaded anything yet, but I'm reloading for .40 S&W.  However, just looking at the prices of even new brass and bullets (the initial powder and primer buy will already hold me over) is already saving me money over purchasing factory ammo.  So, just a thought for future reference.  I know you said you didn't want to reload right now, but if you really get into this and know you are going to be shooting a lot, it really might be an option.  Plus, I do have a bunch of different calibers that I shoot (not necessarily for competition, but in general), so I also feel that can save me money too because now I just have to buy a shellplate and dies and I'm ready to rock for another caliber (besides what is needed to actually make the round itself).  So, it isn't super cheap, but overall it will actually save you money.   But if you are only going to shoot 500 rounds a year or something, no, then it won't.  But if you are at least shooting 500-1000 rounds a month at one competition and practice, it will end up saving you some money.

Just trying to help a little. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer good ol' Winchester white box.  Not always the cheapest, but it's never let me down.  The brass is decent for reloading, if\when you get there.  Check out luckygunner.com.  They usually have some good deals on factory ammo.