Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fractured Glock barrel?

I am having more issues than ever with my Glock 34 MOS with a Trijicon RMR. Not trying to talk bad about Glock but I cannot figure this out. I am constantly getting stovepipes and FTFs. Sometimes on every shot. I have tried a new recoil spring and this issue is still happening. I have noticed at practice, that if the gun is getting warm, the issues happen more often. My load has been the same from day one (132 PF) and was never an issue. I have roughly 20,000-25,000 rounds through the gun. The only thing I can find, is a (what looks like) score or scratch mark in the chamber of my factory barrel (on the ejector side). Is it possible that the barrel has a fracture or hairline crack in it? It is kind of hard to see in the picture. I find this hard to believe but, it is the only thing I can come up with. If gases are escaping early, I would think it would result in the slide not having enough force or pressure to fully cycle. I have a few majors that will be here before I know it and I need this fixed ASAP. dd34b5f9b4abc44dac795f0f67aedbdf.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked at locking block or something simple like a worn out mag catch?

i had a cracked locking block in my 34 years ago. Accuracy and reliability went to hell all the sudden. 

I looked a just about ever piece on the gun. The locking block looks to be in pretty good shape and the mag catch is fairly new. Changed it about a month or two ago. I am not having issues with accuracy. I am able to hit an inch and a half circle at roughly 35 feet without a problem.

Well if you really think it is a barrel issue.  I shoot a Storm lake in my G19 and never had a problem with it. If you have matches coming up and down have a whole lot of down time, your options are limited. 

Any chance you know someone from a local club that you can take their barrel and put them it in your gun and play with it?

stock Glock parts are cheap, so just replace whatever you're worried about whole sale.

( i too needed to replace a locking block on my g34 at about 20k rounds)

Apex extractor and spring, link is to a gen 3 one but you get the idea. https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191891

mine worked flawlessly and at $60 not too bad.

Get a new barrel of whatever kind you want. $100ish

New locking block from Glock is $28.

New stock Glock mag springs and followers in every mag. $8 a spring and $4 a follower.

so for 300 bucks you can refresh a large amount of parts, possibly consider some of it an uprgrade and remove all doubt as to it being the gun and it's parts that are the issue.

stock Glock parts are cheap, so just replace whatever you're worried about whole sale.
( i too needed to replace a locking block on my g34 at about 20k rounds)

Apex extractor and spring, link is to a gen 3 one but you get the idea. https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191891
mine worked flawlessly and at $60 not too bad.

Get a new barrel of whatever kind you want. $100ish
 New locking block from Glock is $28.

New stock Glock mag springs and followers in every mag. $8 a spring and $4 a follower.

so for 300 bucks you can refresh a large amount of parts, possibly consider some of it an uprgrade and remove all doubt as to it being the gun and it's parts that are the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions Rowdy. I think I'm going to start with a new barrel and locking block.

• 3 weeks later...

If your worried about a hairline crack get a magnetic partical inspection  most good wielding shops can do it, it's a red powder that has a bunch of iron dust in it, they hit it with an electromagnetic and it pulls thr powder into cracks to make them visable. It's non destructive and cheep to do. (That's how welders check for cracks in there wields.)

It leaves a little red line if there is a crack or the nothing if there's not. 

If your worried about a hairline crack get a magnetic partical inspection  most good wielding shops can do it, it's a red powder that has a bunch of iron dust in it, they hit it with an electromagnetic and it pulls thr powder into cracks to make them visable. It's non destructive and cheep to do. (That's how welders check for cracks in there wields.)

It leaves a little red line if there is a crack or the nothing if there's not. 

I never thought about that. I would find a local place to give it a try. I sent pictures of the barrel to Glock and they said it would be a good idea to send it into them. With my next major in about a month, I'll cross my fingers and send it to them. I hear they are good about warranty work so we will see what they say. I'll keep everyone updated when I know what they say.

So I shipped my 34 back to Glock last week on Thursday and they received it on Friday. I did not receive any email or phone call saying that they received or that they started working on my gun. I just got a FedEx tracking number via email today at 5 and I still have not heard anything back from Glock Inc. I don't know what they did or did not do. Kind of frustrating. I guess we will see what happens on Friday when I get it back. 

I was having a similar problem. Random stove pipe failures using the same loads I had run for a long time. I sent it to Glock and it was returned in about a week. No problems since then. I did have to rework the trigger, it was returned to factory specifications.

I was having a similar problem. Random stove pipe failures using the same loads I had run for a long time. I sent it to Glock and it was returned in about a week. No problems since then. I did have to rework the trigger, it was returned to factory specifications.

That sounds good. When I talked to them on the phone, they said it would take between 2-4 weeks for a return. I was surprised to see it shipped today after only 1 week. Any idea on what they problem was? Or did they just send you a working gun?